Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: eBid Store Status Alert - Store Description 249 characters, yet too short???

Forum Newbie
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    All-About torushealthdirect
    View torushealthdirect's Listings
    Forum Posts

Unhappy eBid Store Status Alert - Store Description 249 characters, yet too short???

Good evening all! I hope you're all well?

I'm Gavin.....I just registered y'day and I'm attempting to opened my first eBid store.

I'm ready to change the store status to online, but it comes up with an alert saying my store description is too short (needs to be a min of 10 characters). I've checked my description in Word, and it's 211 (no spaces) or 249 (with spaces), so obviously I can't understand why I'm receiving this alert.

Could anybody shed any light on what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid Store Status Alert - Store Description 249 characters, yet too short???

Did you create your store description in Word and then copy/paste it into the store description field?

If so... Word is renowned for carrying a lot of hidden garbage along with visible text. It is possible, if that is the case, that something hidden is confusing the store validation that the end of the text occurs before it actually does. Try pasting it into Notepad first and then copying from there to the store.

Forum Newbie
    Forum Posts

Default Re: eBid Store Status Alert - Store Description 249 characters, yet too short???

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Did you create your store description in Word and then copy/paste it into the store description field?

If so... Word is renowned for carrying a lot of hidden garbage along with visible text. It is possible, if that is the case, that something hidden is confusing the store validation that the end of the text occurs before it actually does. Try pasting it into Notepad first and then copying from there to the store.
    Hi, thanks for reply.

No, I did write it straight into the text box. I only pasted it into Word after to check the number of characters.

I've just tried deleting it completely, pasting text into Notepad and then back into the form box, but still to no avail. :/

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

You need to delete your about me page photo as it shows a .co.uk address which is not allowed.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by torushealthdirect View Post
    Good evening all! I hope you're all well?

I'm Gavin.....I just registered y'day and I'm attempting to opened my first eBid store.

I'm ready to change the store status to online, but it comes up with an alert saying my store description is too short (needs to be a min of 10 characters). I've checked my description in Word, and it's 211 (no spaces) or 249 (with spaces), so obviously I can't understand why I'm receiving this alert.

Could anybody shed any light on what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance!
    The description must be plain text. Are you putting in smilies, symbols etc.?
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by torushealthdirect View Post
    I've just tried deleting it completely, pasting text into Notepad and then back into the form box, but still to no avail. :/
    I'm at a loss then. I have just tried creating a store with the same number of characters in the description and got no error when setting it online.

Could you post the actual text you are entering here?

Forum Newbie
    Forum Posts

Sure, here's the text I'm trying to enter. No smileys or anything else unusual!

"Welcome to our store! We are a newly-established online retailer of sports and bodybuilding supplements, vitamins and gym accessories. We ship to anywhere in the UK and Northern Ireland, and guarantee same day dispatch on orders received by 12:45pm."

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Tried that text with no problems: http://niknaks.ebid.net/

One thought... After entering the text as the store description are you clicking on the UPDATE SECTION 2 button below? If not then the validator will still be seeing an empty field when it checks as the edit will not have been written to the database.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Tried that text with no problems: http://niknaks.ebid.net/

One thought... After entering the text as the store description are you clicking on the UPDATE SECTION 2 button below? If not then the validator will still be seeing an empty field when it checks as the edit will not have been written to the database.
    Same here, no problems.

Thread Information