eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enforced Windows 10 upgrade!

Forum Newbie
    View Zeus2013's Feedback (+140)
    All-About Zeus2013
    View Zeus2013's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Enforced Windows 10 upgrade!

Still with Windows 7, my husband inadvertently downloaded windows 10 and once he realised what was happening he started pushing buttons etc. etc, trying to stop it. This resulted in my Laptop completely crashing and had to get it sorted by our local PC Repair shop. Needless to say he is now banned from using my Laptop lol. Windows 10 pop us still keeps appearing which is a nuisance.

Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    View bluebedouin's Feedback (+107)
    All-About bluebedouin
    View bluebedouin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus2013 View Post
    .... Windows 10 pop us still keeps appearing which is a nuisance.
    You need to uninstall windows update KB3035583.
    Then make sure your update preferences are set to "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them" because this will keep coming back so untick the box for installation.
    Also download Never 10 so that it doesn't automatically update without your consent.

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post
    Not nice indeed.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36367221

I'm glad I use Linux instead of Windows.
    Same here. Ever so glad this house became Microsoft-free several years ago. Looking forward to the release of Linux Mint 18 (already in beta), which will be a long term support release, supported for 5 years. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3038

Many people have an older pc in the attic, bogged down with Windows cruft. Try putting Linux on it, it's amazing to see the pc run at a decent speed again.

Admittedly there are some things to get used to. For example, it can be very disconcerting to choose 'shut down' and have the pc power off immediately. None of that "Shutting down... installing update 1 of 27... do not switch off". Yes, you'll really miss that!!!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Same here. Ever so glad this house became Microsoft-free several years ago. Looking forward to the release of Linux Mint 18 (already in beta), which will be a long term support release, supported for 5 years. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3038

Many people have an older pc in the attic, bogged down with Windows cruft. Try putting Linux on it, it's amazing to see the pc run at a decent speed again.

Admittedly there are some things to get used to. For example, it can be very disconcerting to choose 'shut down' and have the pc power off immediately. None of that "Shutting down... installing update 1 of 27... do not switch off". Yes, you'll really miss that!!!

Thank You sooooo much for the link to Mint 18!

So exciting!

I've been Microsoft-free for just over 8 glorious years!

Quote Originally Posted by cheaver View Post

Thank You sooooo much for the link to Mint 18!

So exciting!

I've been Microsoft-free for just over 8 glorious years!
    Eight years, great! I'm not sure when we finally kicked MS out the door, less than 8, perhaps 5 years ago. One of the reasons to keep Windows available was that years ago my wife had bought a garden design program. But then I discovered it would run within Wine and our last reason to hang on was gone.

I first started trying to switch to Linux 20+ years ago, but back then it was a world of pain. Every few years I would give it another try and run away screaming. But it kept getting better. Ten years ago Ubuntu Linux pushed hard to provide a decent point+click system that was a real alternative to Windows and Apple, rather than something for beardy weirdies.

I still see Windows though, on a very regular basis. I run a free 'clinic' for our local U3A, and over the past 4 years have seen more than 200 'customers'. Mostly it's the "my pc has been getting slower and slower" story. By the time they seek help they're infested with cockroaches. Most recently I've seen ransomware that encrypts all ones files. "Do you have any backups?"...
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

The company paid Teri Goldstein, a California customer, $10,000 (£7,600) after the failed update left her computer unusable for days on end.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...s-10-download/

Thread Information