Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING: Current telephone scam

Exclamation WARNING: Current telephone scam

You may have recently seen a story or two in the news about a widespread scam from India. People receive a phone call from an Indian person - male or female - in what sounds like a call centre and they tell you that they are from BT (or sometimes Microsoft or other company). They warn you that they have detected that your computer or router has been targetted by hackers and infected with a virus which is spying on you. Then they offer to remove it if you'll just give them access to your computer via a downloaded program. From there they really infect your machine, steal your details and try to access your bank accounts and credit cards.

These people have called me four times over the past two days.
    I play along as long as they'll let me, pretending to be a technical numpty, asking them to explain everything several times, confusing them as much as possible, keeping them on the line and wasting their time. Sadly, after a while, they just put the phone down.

A little childish of me, perhaps, but I won't let those scum get one over on me. Make sure you stay safe, too.

LINK: The guardian covered this same scam back in 2010!

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: WARNING: Current telephone scam

Yes, I've had this one as well. I tell them that I know they are thieves!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    I play along as long as they'll let me, pretending to be a technical numpty, asking them to explain everything several times, confusing them as much as possible, keeping them on the line and wasting their time. Sadly, after a while, they just put the phone down.

A little childish of me, perhaps, but I won't let those scum get one over on me. Make sure you stay safe, too.
    I do the same if I have the time. Not just to faff them about, but while I am keeping them busy they are not targeting someone more vulnerable.

I posted this some time back - nearly fell for it!

The easiest way to block all these nuisance calls is not to rely on a practically useless TPS, but to purchase a BT Call Blocker Phone. We have not had one unwanted call in 18 months! Peace at last.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by love_to_stitch View Post
    I posted this some time back - nearly fell for it!

The easiest way to block all these nuisance calls is not to rely on a practically useless TPS, but to purchase a BT Call Blocker Phone. We have not had one unwanted call in 18 months! Peace at last.
    With the scale of the problem nowadays all telecom providers should be required to provide Caller ID and Number Blocking as part of their service, it shouldn't be a cost option.

Agree with you, TPS is toothless and ineffective.

Blocking calls where the number is withheld is not a good idea; as I discovered when my mother was in hospital and they couldn't contact me. Many public bodies withhold their number when they call, though I don't see why hospitals need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Many public bodies withhold their number when they call, though I don't see why hospitals need to do it.
    It's the same with most GP's - privacy. Some people don't want to have to explain to relatives or housemates why the doctor's wanted to speak to them.

Yep, I've had a number of those calls in the past and strung them along asking awkward questions to which they couldn't reply !

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    It's the same with most GP's - privacy. Some people don't want to have to explain to relatives or housemates why the doctor's wanted to speak to them.
    Then don't. Just tell them "None of your bloody business".

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    With the scale of the problem nowadays all telecom providers should be required to provide Caller ID and Number Blocking as part of their service, it shouldn't be a cost option.

Agree with you, TPS is toothless and ineffective.

Blocking calls where the number is withheld is not a good idea; as I discovered when my mother was in hospital and they couldn't contact me. Many public bodies withhold their number when they call, though I don't see why hospitals need to do it.
    This really hasn't been a problem. All 'important' numbers are entered onto your VIP list - if, by any chance, the hospital number wasn't entered, then they would simply have to 'announce' themselves. The operator then asks if you wish to accept. If you do, you simply press 1 on the keypad. You then have the option to always accept/block calls from that number.
    It does not cost anything extra as this is inbuilt with the phone - and we needed a new one anyway.

View sherlock07's Feedback (+301)
    All-About sherlock07
    View sherlock07's Listings
    Forum Posts

I bought a call blocker as a seperate item, as love to stich says their is no problem with people getting through who are genuine, but the scammers do not risk it. Peace at last.

Sherlock's Watches Store ~ Great Watches for the Family
    Sherlock's Bazaar
    ~ General Store

Thread Information