My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Search: repopulate search box?

Default Search: repopulate search box?

When one does a search on ebid, the results are shown and of course one can go on to perform another search.

But very often the second search is a refinement of the first. For example, if I search for 'cabochons' I find 300+ auctions. So I want to refine that search by looking for 'cabochons swarovski'. The search box is blank, I have to type 'cabochons' again.

Many shopping web sites leave the search box populated, e.g. in this case it would still say 'cabochons' and I could add the second term to the search easily. But on this site the box has been cleared.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Default Re: Search: repopulate search box?

If you scroll down past the list of subcategories on the left, the search box is repeated and populated ... just add the additional search terms and click on the search button.

Quote Originally Posted by hurryb4itsgone View Post
    If you scroll down past the list of subcategories on the left, the search box is repeated and populated ... just add the additional search terms and click on the search button.
    Thanks, but I think you're missing the point. Go visit, for example, Amazon, ebay, Bonanza, eCrater or even screwfix.com. The user experience that people are familiar with is not matched by ebid.

It's not a matter of whether or not one can achieve the same results here by slightly different means. If you design a car with the gas pedal under the left foot you won't get enthusiastic acceptance of your creation.

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Thanks, but I think you're missing the point. Go visit, for example, Amazon, ebay, Bonanza, eCrater or even screwfix.com. The user experience that people are familiar with is not matched by ebid.

It's not a matter of whether or not one can achieve the same results here by slightly different means. If you design a car with the gas pedal under the left foot you won't get enthusiastic acceptance of your creation.

My car does not have a gas pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    My car does not have a gas pedal.
    Neither does mine. But HurryB4ItsGone is familiar with cars with gas pedals. Good communication is about considering the other person's experience and expectations. Web site design is also about that. Tony, I'm disappointed you don't seem to have grasped it.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree on the subject of this thread - as long as there is also a one click way to clear the search term box. I hate those where you have to backspace over everything or Select All + Delete.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I agree on the subject of this thread - as long as there is also a one click way to clear the search term box. I hate those where you have to backspace over everything or Select All + Delete.
    Absolutely agree. But why do you use Delete as well as Select All? Select All (keyboard shortcut ctrl+A) colours the text blue, the next keystroke replaces the blue text, no need for Delete. That's not just in browsers, that's in any application where the programmer hasn't taken deliberate (and usually stupid) steps to override the default behaviour. And it's not just in Windows, it's also in every Linux desktop I've used in the past few years. Not sure about Mac, I'm only an occasional Mac user.

So your Delete is redundant.

For those who aren't quite as savvy as you, Mel, and go to the lengths of backspacing over everything, even that isn't especially tedious if they hold down the backspace key and get auto-repeat. What IS tedious is having to retype the search term because the user doesn't know there's a second search box elsewhere on the page... which itself is a pretty strange idea, but let's not get too controversial!

Mel, maybe I've not understood you. I gave examples of several other sites, all of which work in the same way (I would claim the 'usual' way). Do you dislike the way those sites work?

There are lots of conventions that have grown up over time. Many are not understood by the average user, they just struggle a little more when conventions aren't used. For example 20 years ago, navigating to the home page of a web site was a lottery. There might have been a link on the other pages, there might not. And if there was, it might not have been in the same place on every page. It might have been at the top right of the page.

But gradually a convention grew up that at the top left of the masthead there would be an element that would take you to the home page. People expect it now and are surprised when the behaviour is different.

Forms are now normally laid out left to right, top to bottom, with the submit button at the end. There has to be a strong design reason for bucking that. And so on.

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if eBid's site accords with widespread conventions, which of course in the main it does very well, but this search box behaviour is just a little bit off-piste.

Thread Information