eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need Ebid Members help with a small problem

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Need Ebid Members help with a small problem

I know that people here list for various charities during the monthly YDC auctions. I don't know if the charity has to be a registered charity, or if any good cause would be eligible, but you might think about listing something during the YDC. And whoever's item raises the most money (if they are participating in the competition) get to select the following month's named charity. You can find lots of good info on YDC by doing a search for YDC in here. And I'm sure hurryb4itsgone would be happy to advise you if you have questions.....

Such a sad situation. I hope that they are getting emotional and financial help to assist in recovering from such losses. It had to be so devastating for the family.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I know that people here list for various charities during the monthly YDC auctions. I don't know if the charity has to be a registered charity, or if any good cause would be eligible, but you might think about listing something during the YDC. And whoever's item raises the most money (if they are participating in the competition) get to select the following month's named charity. You can find lots of good info on YDC by doing a search for YDC in here. And I'm sure hurryb4itsgone would be happy to advise you if you have questions.....

Such a sad situation. I hope that they are getting emotional and financial help to assist in recovering from such losses. It had to be so devastating for the family.
    Though the majority of YDCers list for registered charities, there have been occasions when people have listed items for other types of worthy causes.

More information about YDC can be found HERE. The next event will be held the 24th through the 28th of January.

Please feel free to send a PM (private message) to hurryb4itsgone if you have any questions or need any additional information.

Forum Newbie
    View pinefalls's Feedback (+1)
    All-About pinefalls
    View pinefalls's Listings
    Forum Posts

I am so proud to be part of the EBID Community,,today the family in question received a $25.00 donation toward there cause,,this is a far cry from what they are going to need but it is surely the right direction for them,,,,people here on Ebid have been kind,friendly,generous and understanding,,,I would like to take my hat off to all the members who took part in all the above mentioned quotes,comments and tips.....If at anytime anyone needs help with any thing from supplies to helping set up there stores etc...please do not hesitate to ask,,,I wish you all the most beautiful and safe Holidays from all of us here at Pine Falls General Store Thank you Dakota

I want to give you some help Pinefalls - but in the form of advice. I think you are making some mistakes in your approach to the crowdfunding process and the clarity that is needed to present them.

On the clarity side there needs to be more information about you - some blurred image on a buffalo and a name given as Dakota Brant doesn't really tell us anything about you. When you are in the position of asking people for money they need to know about you, understand you and have confidence in you.

You created one of your 'thoughts posts' with the Big Wheel Truck stop - and claimed it as your own work, when the details of the real author and where it has been published was revealed on that thread you deleted the thread. That sort of incident may create some unease about supporting your appeals. It also makes people look deeper at you and this appeal.

Looking at your listings: I would like to know how you are supporting a Sagkeeng First Nation issue and yet your listings contain a lot of far right German WW2 goods? That doesn't make any sense - it would also would likely impact on most people supporting your causes.

Your previous attempts at crowdfunding don't really inspire too much confidence and there are quite a few of them. The first few were to support your business - which is an online auction site, just like eBid - that can be very costly. In early May you asked for money to expand your auction site business saying "Been trying for 2 years to get loans etc..was taken for $189,000.00 dollars from a former employee and that person destroyed my credit and now I am trying to get back on my feet with a new business". Then we have your appeals about re-starting your life.. next was for your medical and lodge bills.. Back again to re-starting your life - followed by few frustrated twitter comments - including: "pretty sad I am trying to straighten out my life and cannot even get a single $1.00 donation" Those crowd funding pages got no funding at all.

In crowdfunding it usually starts with family-friends then friends of family and friends of friends and keeps going from there. You seem to be instantly trying to bypass all that and appeal to the outside world who know nothing about you - in reality it will very rarely work like that.

Then without raising any money for yourself you switched very quickly onto crowd funding for others: "Urgent request - keep her safe". That one is under review by the trust and safety team. Again that would raise concerns. If you are struggling for money yourself are you the best person to try and raise money for others?

Which brings us onto the one being talked about in this thread. Your crowdfunding page on GoFundMe: Why a photo-shopped image? We have just one name of Edna Johnston (the grandmother) - no name of the actual person who died or the family affected. There needs to be something there that creates some emotive content that can be verified and understood. I do know his name - it is Devon Fontaine. The page states he left behind a wife and child - but he had 3 kids by 2 different partners and as far as I can see he wasn't married (the online obituary doesn't state that). The details of the appeal need to be correct and clear.

Why not get the family to do this crowd funding? There are a lot of them and they use social media all the time - the only one who doesn't is grandmother Edna who you are making the appeal on behalf of. Devon's mum Brenda is a big facebook user and yet she hasn't got any appeal on there about grave stones or house fires - or any mention of those two points at all as far I can see. In fact going through all Devons family I see zero reference to grave stones or house fires? So it looks although none of the family are supporting this by sharing the story or donating. I will repeat: In crowdfunding it usually starts with family-friends then friends of family and friends of friends and keeps going from there.

There are many other issues - but I think the above will give you some help in how to think about crowdfunding and the perceptions of people who are viewing them. Forums are not the place to randomly crowdfund strangers for causes. And to be honest if you are having money troubles yourself it is probably best to sort yourself out before taking on other causes.

Hope all that helps

Merry Xmas

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Welcome back Dean, our resident detective, we've missed you.

Thank you for clarifying some points that I had made on the thread that was deleted Deano. It is much appreciated and lovely to see you back. I hope you have a great Christmas.

Hi Deano, we miss you

You are right about friends and family should start the ball rolling, I have been ripped of once so do not now give any money to anyone unless I know them, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by buttons-and-bows View Post
    Hi Deano, we miss you

You are right about friends and family should start the ball rolling, I have been ripped of once so do not now give any money to anyone unless I know them, sorry.
    Yes, Deano, I miss you too. Your help and advice on computer issues and other ebid topics is and has been much appreciated.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Deano...so good to see you back here

I can verify the effectiveness of family and friends starting up their own page for fundraising.

My son's partner (Sarah) had a daughter (Jamie) who died hours after being born, back in 2009 and Sarah has used a justgiving page to raise funds for SANDS when she did a charity run a while back,

I have shared that page here and donations came in from the lovely ebidders here when I did a fundraiser here for SANDS....I'm willing to bet that some ebidders helped because they know how close I am to Sarah and Gavin

On an upbeat note.....a photo of Sarah and Gavin's daughter (Scarlett) at 27 weeks....she is due to make an appearance on Boxing Day

Name:  scarlett27weeks.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  30.3 KB

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Such a delight to see you in Forum again Deano!

Thread Information