Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Warning :- U.K. Post office staff strikes likely in the run up to Christmas.

Default Warning :- U.K. Post office staff strikes likely in the run up to Christmas.

Possible delays to Christmas post next week as some Post Office workers are striking.
    Royal Mail says it doesn't think that it will hold things up though ?!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...e-day-walkout/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Christmas.html

http://www.royalmail.com/post-office...H1_POST_OFFICE
    Last edited by cornishmaid1961; 14th December 2016 at 01:25 AM.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Warning :- U.K. Post office staff strikes likely in the run up to Christmas.

So none of my customer orders would be held up if I had to send parcels through the Post Office then?

My dropshipper uses Royal Mail so my Holiday notice will go up over the weekend and I'll need to put a notice on my website and remove any way of buying from it.

Just glad our Christmas food is in the freezer or it would be beans on toast for us.

Default Re: Warning :- U.K. Post office staff strikes likely in the run up to Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    So none of my customer orders would be held up if I had to send parcels through the Post Office then?

My dropshipper uses Royal Mail so my Holiday notice will go up over the weekend and I'll need to put a notice on my website and remove any way of buying from it.

Just glad our Christmas food is in the freezer or it would be beans on toast for us.

Your guess is as good as mine Moony. The sorting office might carry on as normal but what happens if your local post office is shut so you can't post the item on time ?! I'm keeping my listings going but have put a warning notice up just in case.

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm one of the lucky ones in that our sub-PO [ex-Crown PO] won't be affected but as I use Royal Mail's online Print-Your-Own postage labels, I can always drop any packets/parcels too big for the letterbox into the Sorting/Delivery office around the back.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk...online-postage

Quote Originally Posted by Anniemcc2 View Post
    I'm one of the lucky ones in that our sub-PO [ex-Crown PO] won't be affected but as I use Royal Mail's online Print-Your-Own postage labels, I can always drop any packets/parcels too big for the letterbox into the Sorting/Delivery office around the back.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk...online-postage
    Does that online service mean that your local sub-PO isn't getting... [???]

I've no idea what our little local PO gets out of it, but I always assumed they get some kind of commission on postage sales or number of items handled, or something. I'm fearful that yet more village POs will be closed down if they don't seem to be generating enough revenue.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnwash1 View Post
    Does that online service mean that your local sub-PO isn't getting... [???]

I've no idea what our little local PO gets out of it, but I always assumed they get some kind of commission on postage sales or number of items handled, or something. I'm fearful that yet more village POs will be closed down if they don't seem to be generating enough revenue.
    I don't know but I would think that if Print-Your-Own labels are used and the item is then put into a postbox that the local PO gets nothing out of the transaction. I assume that a local PO has to sell a stamp or label or actually take money for a service before they get any kind of commission.

View bunsock's Feedback (+14461)
    All-About bunsock
    View bunsock's Listings
    Forum Posts

As I understand it it only affects main Post Offices. Royal Mail is a separate entity from the Post office and shouldn't be affected. What it will mean is longer queues in sub-post offices.

Thread Information