eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas why my thread photo is on its side?

Default Any ideas why my thread photo is on its side?

I add a thread to "Plug Your Auction" with my new listings each week. I always use the same camera, with the same settings and photos are all stored on W10 Photos on my lap-top.

For some reason this week one picture is on its side. All the more strange when not long ago I posted a similar photo of a different, but similar size, figurine without any problem.

Anyone know why and if its possible to rotate it?

Many thanks.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Any ideas why my thread photo is on its side?

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    I add a thread to "Plug Your Auction" with my new listings each week. I always use the same camera, with the same settings and photos are all stored on W10 Photos on my lap-top.
    For some reason this week one picture is on its side. All the more strange when not long ago I posted a similar photo of a different, but similar size, figurine without any problem.
    Anyone know why and if its possible to rotate it?
    Many thanks.

Why - possibly because you photographed them that way? 700 wide x 525 deep ? ie landscaped for both instead of turning your camera portrait for the figurine?

Name:  detail.png
Views: 116
Size:  5.8 KB

I have rotated it using my own image viewer on my laptop - but you could also do this via a free online pic editor such as ipiccy or BeFunky.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  67.1 KB

I did turn the camera on its side to get the 700 on the vertical side. My camera is very basic and I often do this for taller items.

But the Windows Pictures has a "rotate" facility, which I use whenever I do this. By clicking "Save" it replaces the original and when I added the photos to the listing they all uploaded the right way up.

It was just the one on the thread that was side-ways which I thought was odd but many thanks for replying.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

Newer cameras store a bit of information into the headers of jpg images that indicates the orientation of the image. Not all software (from web sites to older photo editing software) recognizes this relatively recent addition to the image file format. Can be quickly fixed by rotating and re-saving in an editor, as cheaver mentioned.

Thanks for your comment, I think I'll give up looking for an explanation and put it down to one of those weird things computers do from time-to-time just to confuse us.

The camera isn't modern, it's seven years old. The lap-top was new just over a year ago, the version of Photos it had built in would have been current then and has undergone a major update since then. Its editing is far more sophisticated than I need for the basic rotating, cropping and re-sizing that I do. Lastly the listing has five photos, all taken at the same time, four of which would have been rotated, cropped and re-saved. Later all five were uploaded together, no problem. I just added one of the other photos and again it uploads as stored in my file, it must just have been a gremlin!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by theElench; 19th February 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for your comment, I think I'll give up looking for an explanation and put it down to one of those weird things computers do from time-to-time just to confuse us........
    I just added one of the other photos and again it uploads as stored in my file, it must just have been a gremlin!!
    There doesn't seem to be an obvious explanation for this I agree so it must have been a gremlin as you say!

Pic editor is still a worthy consideration though - for such beautiful pieces especially.....

Name:  DSCF0006 fffff.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  27.8 KB

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

A possible explanation....

If you find images that you upload to eBid are not oriented as you would expect, you are likely having problems caused by the orientation sensor on the device you used to capture the image.

Digital image capture devices (digital cameras, mobile phones, tablets, etc.) often have a sensor that tells the device which way the real world 'Up' is - regardless of how the device itself is oriented when the image is captured. This allows you to capture an image with the device rotated to any orientation, but still display the image correctly with the device in any orientation. You can see this in action if you rotate a device while viewing an image - the image will 'flip' to keep it the correct way up (assuming that you are the correct way up).

The orientation information is stored in what is called the 'EXIF (Exchangeable Image File Format) data' that is appended to the image data file. This EXIF data can also contain a myriad of other information - such as information about the device the image was captured on (maker, type, etc.) and the conditions under which the image was captured (shutter speed, exposure, flash, etc.).

Unfortunately, not all software understands or pays attention to the content of the EXIF data (some software, including eBid's, even strips out the data completely if you save the image using it) which means it has no concept of what the real world 'Up' was when the image was captured, so the software can display the image rotated left, right, upside-down, or (if you are lucky) even the correct way up.

The simplest way to correct the problem under the Windows operating system is to view the image on your computer in Windows Photo Viewer and apply a rotate to correct the orientation before uploading to eBid.

eBid did say they were going to add an image rotation facility to sellers' My Gallery area - but no sign of it yet. [Link]
    Last edited by astral276; 20th February 2019 at 08:27 AM.

Yes indeed, something to think about either when I get my next lap-top or MS decides to re-vamp Photos again. (Like the selling site I don't need to name, these US corporations have a habit of "improving" things without notice or explanation, and with no thought for the confusion they cause for those not up to their level of expertise.

At the moment Photos does do everything I need, but only after months of complaint to MS and a few rude comments on some Windows users board. They must have had plenty of others because the last big update solved some basic problems like not being able to use my filing system because theirs would over-ride it. It still insists on randomly creating new folders within my files because it is filing photos by time instead of subject matter, as I want. But it does work.

It is IMO the worst system they've yet produced, mixing a photo library with a suite of editing and multi-media additions that don't help with what I want, a filing system that is reliable. Not being very tech. minded I don't want to try overlaying another set of software, which, if I get something wrong (and most likely I will) will cause another raft of problems. Their last change, from Photo Gallery to Photos managed to reduce my system to such a muddle I eventually deleted all my photos and started again. So for the time being I'll leave things as they are, but thanks for your help.

At the moment Photos does do everything I need, but only after months of complaint to MS and a few rude comments on some Windows users board. They must have had plenty of others ...
    If you have an older spare computer, try Linux. Personally I'd recommend the Mint Mate version (linuxmint.com). I've persuaded loads of people, reluctant to try something they fear will be different, and had delighted outcomes.

Part of the reason I do it is because I'm sick of fixing people's broken Win 10 updates.

Your glass is lovely, but I feel the photo could be improved with better lighting and sharper focus (or perhaps it was taken with a slow shutter speed causing camera shake and blur).
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Sorry Astral, not ignoring your reply, we posted at the same time. I replied to the previous reply and didn't see yours until John posted. What I find strange is it was just that one photo that was wrong. All the others associated with the listing and the Plug Your Auction thread were OK. Since then I've added another couple of listings and another PYA thread, again all the photos OK.

I think I'll stick with my gremlin theory, whatever caused the problem seems to have been a one-off.

Thread Information