eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any ideas why my thread photo is on its side?

Default Re: Any ideas why my thread photo is on its side?

[QUOTE=johnwash1;1709003

Your glass is lovely, but I feel the photo could be improved with better lighting and sharper focus (or perhaps it was taken with a slow shutter speed causing camera shake and blur).[/QUOTE]

Everything you say about my photos is correct. I've tried artificial lighting in the past and gone back to taking them in natural light because I found that glare, refraction and shadows seemed worse when I attempted to alter the lighting myself. With natural light I know roughly what time and how bright the sun needs to be to get a reasonable photo. (Early morning on an overcast day works best) It might seem haphazard but most of my photos seem at least adequate.

I've had a lot of trouble with photos recently due to the dense fog we've been having. That and the fact that when it clears the light goes from too dim to far too bright in a couple of minutes. With my rather basic camera I can't alter the shutter speed. Good or bad focusing relies on what I can see through my bi-focals and not shaking the camera as I press the exposure button.

But thanks for your thoughts.

As for Linux, a friend has been telling me for years how much better than Windows it is and that he will help me through the set-up to demonstrate this. It hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will until we are both living in the same area of the country.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View gazza's Feedback (+2)
    All-About gazza
    View gazza's Listings
    Forum Posts

A free photo editor like GIMP will help you out, or paid software like Photoshop of course.

After it is first installed and a photo with EXIF data (hidden data within a photo that stores information about location, orientation, dates etc) is opened up within it you will be asked if you wish to show the photo auto-orientated or not.

Windows 10, mobile phones and most other photo viewing software will always auto-orient the photo for you without asking. If you choose NO to the GIMP question you will see the photo in its raw form and be able to rotate it to suit and re-save it.

Gazza
    eBid.net
    Free to Bid | Free to List | Free to Enjoy
    GBP and USD Affiliate Program Re-Launched .. Promote eBid and earn
    Got a problem? Record it for us using http://screencast-o-matic.com/

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

We can go back to searching for Waldo - we seem to have found Gazza.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    We can go back to searching for Waldo - we seem to have found Gazza.
    Who is Waldo, please?

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post

As for Linux, a friend has been telling me for years how much better than Windows it is and that he will help me through the set-up to demonstrate this. It hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will until we are both living in the same area of the country.
    Check http://www.lug.org.uk to find a user group near you. Generally you'll find they're enthusiastic and helpful people. Or just do your first experiments with a separate older computer, so no fear of destroying your main system. If you're patient and follow instructions you'll be successful. If you run into a brick wall, PM me, I might try to help, no promises.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    A free photo editor like GIMP will help you out, or paid software like Photoshop of course.

Gazza
    Gimp can be intimidating for a beginner, all those menus (just as Photoshop can be). But if one sticks to a few simple recipes for cropping, scaling, rotating, it's a joy, and learning its full power can be left until later or never.

HOWEVER, a photo editor before uploading should not be necessary. For years ebay's photo uploader has made it easy to crop, to rotate, and even to brighten AFTER uploading. Why is eBid development so far behind?

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Who is Waldo, please?
    Google for Where's Wally.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Today my images are uploading sideways (yet Again! had this problem several years ago) even though i rotated them before loading them! Also i relisted a group of listings but none were deleted. Help. It was all working fine until ebid started updating things. Not happy. Will list elsewhere until problems sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Today my images are uploading sideways (yet Again! had this problem several years ago) even though i rotated them before loading them! Also i relisted a group of listings but none were deleted. Help. It was all working fine until ebid started updating things. Not happy. Will list elsewhere until problems sorted.
    The thread Astral linked to https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...=1#post1625212 is overdue for a bump.

Rocks2dust suggests that the rotation marker is a recent feature in cameras. Not so. It was certainly in the EXIF standard of 2002, I've not checked the original 1997 standard but I'd be surprised if it wasn't in that too. And I have a camera made in 2003 that uses it.

Windows users like the free IrfanView program for changing such settings, I imagine easier to use than the powerful (open source) Gimp or proprietary Photoshop. I use ImageMagick, free open source, runs on Windows/Linux/Mac. Wonderful for batch operations, does need a bit of study though, but worth it.

Elench: now that you're locked down and have nothing better to do, how's it going with trying out Linux! I hope you are!
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Hi John. Oh I wish!!!

Right at the moment I'm waiting for an engineer about the "connectivity issues" I've had problems with since 11/4. These also affect my phone line and are causing additional problems. I'm trying to sort out mum's estate using phone and email. Trying to maintain conversations with banks, housing assn. solicitor etc. when both are patchy and the people I'm talking to are working from home and can't access what we are discussing. Just to make everything worse, I started doing some gardening work last week and promptly pulled / twisted something in my arthritic hip which makes most things more difficult and very uncomfortable.

Perhaps I'll try Linux when we all get locked-down again in the Autumn!!

Hope this reaches you as (if) it leaves me.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Gazza says that this has been corrected in the Site Update Notifications thread.

Thread Information