Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

Default Re: Notre-Dame cathedral: Firefighters tackle blaze in Paris

Oh dear! Here we go again! " a few thousand euro to renovate a church in suburban or rural Ireland without the help from the Vatican's bajillions" and this is contrasted wth the huge amount spent by "the Vatican" in the United States. I find it bewildering that a professional wordsmith appears not to notice how language is loaded and the motivation involved. Of course he does and it is deliberate...

For "the Vatican" read "the Roman Church"...hmmm...just as bad....so instead read "Roman Catholiics" - no! Better still read "American Roman Catholics" - that expains why so much is spent in the US and how little in Ireland. Of course this would have no drama.

Each Parish is largely self-supporting but we do help each other within a small radius and contribue a small percentage of income to the diocese to which we belong. In turn each diocese contributes a small percentage to the Vatican; the upkeep runs into many millions obviously as there are many who work there who are not priests and Cardinals!

When people speak of the wealth of the Vatican, they are including the value placed on buildings, statuary, works of art, etc without taking into consideration who it is who places such values on objects in the first place...nor why they do it! Certainly not the Pontiff!

As for the Pope praying rather than put his hand in his pocket....hmmm. As I said the other day, we heard about Notre Dame when we were in church so guess what we did? No! We did not "Knee jerk" and have a whip round! And if you'd been able to pick the Pope's pocket, all you'd have got is his bus fare!!!

Sorry to do a gentle "explode" as I have done; but I was more than half expecting such foolish rubbish! Notre Dame de Paris is not simply a Roman Cathedral - it is the symbol of Paris and of France itself. Quite rightly, it was the President who first promised the rebuilding of the Cathedral. The Church here in the UK will contribute if necessary as we shall throughout the world. Most of the people of France are not Catholics but still hold that wonderful building in high esteem and need support too, in whatever form we feel appropriate.
    Last edited by cambrensis; 17th April 2019 at 11:05 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

All religions were created to give power and wealth to those who run them and to keep those who give them that power and wealth down with the promise that they will reap their reward after they die.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    All religions were created to give power and wealth to those who run them and to keep those who give them that power and wealth down with the promise that they will reap their reward after they die.
    Very well put, my funny friend xx

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Oh dear! Here we go again! " .
    I did ask that you read the whole article but you seem to have cherry picked the parts that seem relevant only to you and your religion.
    "It would be incredibly cheap to suggest that it is in some way wrong to give money for the restoration. There is a value that transcends simple economics in restoring testaments to civilisation. Better that Notre Dame remains a symbol of European history than €300 million rests in a billionaire's bank account. But the immediacy and magnitude of their response tells us something very important about the society we live in.
    If two men in a world of more than 7 billion people can provide €300million to restore Notre Dame, within six hours, then there is enough money in the world to feed every mouth, shelter every family and educate every child. The failure to do so is a matter of will, and a matter of system."

Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

Forum Newbie
    Prestwich, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View littledelving's Feedback (+2678)
    All-About littledelving
    View littledelving's Listings
    Forum Posts

According to best estimages, Over 2000 Churches have been descrated in France during the past 2 years alone. Many involved fire damage including the second most important church in paris.
    See billstill.com video post dated 20th April. He looks at all the causes that can be ruled out and one is forced to come to the stark conclusion that the fire was started deliberately.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia8143 View Post
    I did ask that you read the whole article but you seem to have cherry picked the parts that seem relevant only to you and your religion.
    I did read the whole article. However, it would seem that you are not reading the follow-up material submitted by others which is what I was referrng to with "here we go again". In fact, such submissions were predictable with regard both to content and originator!

If you add to a thread...do make sure to read ALL​ later posts and comprehend...
    Last edited by cambrensis; 22nd April 2019 at 02:50 PM.

Thread Information