eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food Banks

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Food Banks

We have a Christians Against Poverty branch in our town. When I protested (privately) about ridiculous spending by one of their clients I was told that she almost certainly didn't have my skill in making money decisions. My family has never been poor but we were taught the value of money and sensible spending. When you are endlessly poor, especially if your income is fragile, you can take the view that if you don't spend it NOW it may vanish and if you don't do the extravagant thing when you can you may never be able to do it. Sort of "it is better to have had an iPhone and lost it than never to have had one at all" to paraphrase a well-known saying.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, United Kingdom
    View olivia8143's Feedback (+1394)
    All-About olivia8143
    View olivia8143's Listings
    Forum Posts

I collect for our local foodbank Patch (Pembrokeshire Action to Combat Hardship). Unlike the Trussell Trust which only gives out 3 days worth of food 3 times a year (which doesn't really help someone moving onto Universal Credit with a 9 week wait for money they will help anyone who has been referred for as long as they need. It makes me sad to see posts that differentiate between the "deserving poor" and the "undeserving poor" it's usually the religous groups such as the Trussell Trust that make such moralistic judgements but the fact is, in this day and age, most of the people using foodbanks are working (sometimes 2 or 3 low paid jobs). Sometimes too, they have no means of cooking either because they have no kitchen or they can't afford to turn the cooker on. The DWP is moving everyone to Universal Credit, that's people on working tax credits, child tax credits, esa etc and there's even talk of declaring pensions a benefit (even though we've paid all our working lives for our pension) and UC can only be accessed online which means that everyone will need a computer or at least a smartphone so don't begrudge a homeless person their phone they need it to make a claim. Please be a little more empathetic and a little less judgemental to those less fortunate than us.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by olivia8143 View Post
    Please be a little more empathetic and a little less judgemental to those less fortunate than us.
    That was what I was trying to do! It is easy to view things from outside and think you know all the answers.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia8143 View Post
    I collect for our local foodbank Patch (Pembrokeshire Action to Combat Hardship). Unlike the Trussell Trust which only gives out 3 days worth of food 3 times a year (which doesn't really help someone moving onto Universal Credit with a 9 week wait for money they will help anyone who has been referred for as long as they need. It makes me sad to see posts that differentiate between the "deserving poor" and the "undeserving poor" it's usually the religous groups such as the Trussell Trust that make such moralistic judgements but the fact is, in this day and age, most of the people using foodbanks are working (sometimes 2 or 3 low paid jobs). Sometimes too, they have no means of cooking either because they have no kitchen or they can't afford to turn the cooker on. The DWP is moving everyone to Universal Credit, that's people on working tax credits, child tax credits, esa etc and there's even talk of declaring pensions a benefit (even though we've paid all our working lives for our pension) and UC can only be accessed online which means that everyone will need a computer or at least a smartphone so don't begrudge a homeless person their phone they need it to make a claim. Please be a little more empathetic and a little less judgemental to those less fortunate than us.

I would like to point out that this statement is incorrect concerning the Bath foodbank.
    Quote :-
    As this is crisis intervention, the recommendation is that not more than 3 vouchers are issued to any individual in a 6-month period. However, this is a guiding principle rather than a rigid rule, meaning that some flexibility is necessary on a case by case basis.
    http://genesistrust.org.uk/news/spot...bath-foodbank/

​I would also like to point out it is interlinked with other projects under the umbrella of the Genesis Trust, some of which also provide food and can be seen here http://genesistrust.org.uk/projects/
    I am not religious myself but I think they do a wonderful humanitarian job for our city and that is why I would like to support them in YDC180.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Interestingly The Genesis Trust
    income from donations/legacies had dropped by approx 36% (Charity Commission for the Genesis Trust of which Bath Foodbank is a part, 2017-2018)

but :

there has been an increase of 8% in the use of the Foodbank compared to the previous year
    and, as with everything else, costs have gone up - in their case by approx 3.7%

also:

From the Foodbank's Chairman’s Report 2018-19 -

The major reasons given(for use of Bath Foodbank) were low income and benefit changes or delays. It has been necessary to support some people who have had lengthy periods without benefitsfor that period of time.

I understand that to mean not just the 3 day period as per usual Trussell Trust policy.

Thornton Cleveleys, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View cheaver's Feedback (+1050)
    All-About cheaver
    View cheaver's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post

I would like to point out that this statement is incorrect concerning the Bath foodbank.
    Quote :-
    As this is crisis intervention, the recommendation is that not more than 3 vouchers are issued to any individual in a 6-month period. However, this is a guiding principle rather than a rigid rule, meaning that some flexibility is necessary on a case by case basis.
    http://genesistrust.org.uk/news/spot...bath-foodbank/

​I would also like to point out it is interlinked with other projects under the umbrella of the Genesis Trust, some of which also provide food and can be seen here http://genesistrust.org.uk/projects/
    I am not religious myself but I think they do a wonderful humanitarian job for our city and that is why I would like to support them in YDC180.

I hadn't seen your post when I posted mine so I hadn't included other information I had gathered. As I wholeheartedly agree with you about the

wonderful humanitarian job (they do) for our city I am listing it below:

8,000 visits by 500 different people to our Lifeline Centre;
    3,800 people bought 6,750 items of cost-effective, recycled furniture and household goods;
    109 people benefitted from Life Skills courses;
    Over 12,500 meals provided by the food projects (excluding Foodbank);
    Foodbank distributed more than 12,000 family meals;
    300 people helped by Street Pastors;
    more than 700 volunteers contributed over 31,000 hours of effort

I am not a labelled religious person either but I can only be full of total admiration for the Genesis Trust achievements and the Bath Foodbank is, to me, a fabulous choice to raise funds for.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

AND, sometimes I think we forget about the more unseen benefits of these local charities. Cheaver notes that over 700 volunteers take part. It's not a stretch to think that the work they do and the social connections these people make with each other and others makes positive impacts on their lives as well as those they aim to help.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

​Thank you cheaver, much appreciated. x

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for all the up to date information on the Bath Food Bank

I've learnt a lot today

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    AND, sometimes I think we forget about the more unseen benefits of these local charities. Cheaver notes that over 700 volunteers take part. It's not a stretch to think that the work they do and the social connections these people make with each other and others makes positive impacts on their lives as well as those they aim to help.
    It's amazing how undervalued these volunteers (and other volunteers) are by some people.

This country would be in an even worse mess without them

My son works as a volunteer for the homeless in Gosport and Fareham, despite being in constant pain and having mobility issues due to Diabetes complications .

I have also done tons of volunteering after being signed off sick permanently ....there are some amazing people out there

Thread Information