Thread: Fake Paypal Account

Forum Lurker
    West Hampstead, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View kodakfish's Feedback (+2289)
    All-About kodakfish
    View kodakfish's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Fake Paypal Account

Ok auction ends, payment's received by paypal. Go to auction get address, box item. All well and good.
    Then BANG, I check Paypal [ok I normally take address from them first then compare to eBid].
    The account has a totally different name and address. Hmm strange. Contact buyer - no reply. Contact buyer 3 days later no reply after 3 more days. Contact Paypal who couldn't give a sweet Fanny Adams, but say don't send, and after pushing agree to forward the account details to their fraud investigation dept. Without me letting them know which payments out of 3 recent was the problem [ so I force fee agent this information - highly doubt he could be arsed if I'm honest].
    Now waiting to see if I am covered by FVF refund policy as technically I was paid even if it was a case of fraud. It's bad enough NPB but glad I checked and didn't get stung by paypal reversal and loss of item.
    So in ending please always check Paypal address first , if it doesn't match up & don't send until you have spoken to buyer

Default Re: Fake Paypal Account

Ouch! Just shows you've got to be careful... Hope all turns out well for you.

View BigKidsAttic's Feedback (+3720)
    All-About BigKidsAttic
    View BigKidsAttic's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kodakfish View Post
    Ok auction ends, payment's received by paypal. Go to auction get address, box item. All well and good.
    Then BANG, I check Paypal [ok I normally take address from them first then compare to eBid].
    The account has a totally different name and address. Hmm strange. Contact buyer - no reply. Contact buyer 3 days later no reply after 3 more days. Contact Paypal who couldn't give a sweet Fanny Adams, but say don't send, and after pushing agree to forward the account details to their fraud investigation dept. Without me letting them know which payments out of 3 recent was the problem [ so I force fee agent this information - highly doubt he could be arsed if I'm honest].
    Now waiting to see if I am covered by FVF refund policy as technically I was paid even if it was a case of fraud. It's bad enough NPB but glad I checked and didn't get stung by paypal reversal and loss of item.
    So in ending please always check Paypal address first , if it doesn't match up & don't send until you have spoken to buyer
    That sucks, not had that before.

I have noticed an increase (on my sales anyway) of buyers who register an address on eBid that does not match the one they registered on Paypal (including a couple of repeat buyers). I do contact the buyer/s to query that and off the item goes. I now have a notice on each listing saying we only send to Paypal registered address', but that still doesn't seem to matter.

Recent one I had was 2 sales to same person at 2 different times. First item sent to an address that was on eBid & Paypal, the second purchase had a different address/name/email on PayPal. After querying with no response, I get a Case Opened against me via Paypal two days after the sale. Thankfully that let me chat to the buyer, who then tried to get me to send to a third address as it turns out they had a friend pay for the second item, and that person hadn't updated their paypal address.
    It got all sorted as the second purchase ended up being sent to the first and original purchase address.
    The whole reason for the mix-up was the buyer was not used to using online purchasing.

Jason
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigKidsAttic View Post
    That sucks, not had that before.

I have noticed an increase (on my sales anyway) of buyers who register an address on eBid that does not match the one they registered on Paypal (including a couple of repeat buyers). I do contact the buyer/s to query that and off the item goes. I now have a notice on each listing saying we only send to Paypal registered address', but that still doesn't seem to matter.

Recent one I had was 2 sales to same person at 2 different times. First item sent to an address that was on eBid & Paypal, the second purchase had a different address/name/email on PayPal. After querying with no response, I get a Case Opened against me via Paypal two days after the sale. Thankfully that let me chat to the buyer, who then tried to get me to send to a third address as it turns out they had a friend pay for the second item, and that person hadn't updated their paypal address.
    It got all sorted as the second purchase ended up being sent to the first and original purchase address.
    The whole reason for the mix-up was the buyer was not used to using online purchasing.

Jason
    Were any of your buyers called Iman?

View BigKidsAttic's Feedback (+3720)
    All-About BigKidsAttic
    View BigKidsAttic's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purplestevie View Post
    Were any of your buyers called Iman?
    Not any of mine.
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

Thread Information