eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday to Me....Tra-la-la-la!!!

Default Happy Birthday to Me....Tra-la-la-la!!!

At approximately this time, about 01:15 on the morning of December 23rd, 1939 I arrived in a small Welsh hill village which was to be my home until soon after the end of WWII. This is a dreadful time to be born, so close to Christmas. Only my parents observed these events as separate, God Bless them! Aunts and Uncles gave a joint gift. Other children seemed to be born at more sensible intervals. As I've always said .... - as a child, there was no oasis in the desert of my year!

As usual I attended Mass at 09:30 on Sunday morning. At about 10:30, Mass being over, the priest read the notices. To my horror, my birthday was the first item to be read out. I was, of course, embarrassed, but also extremely puzzled. How had the date been gleaned? I had mentioned at a meeting that I was on the verge of 80 years, but I had not mentioned a date, of that I was certain. It was only as I walked up the nave towards the main doors that the penny dropped. A handful of people I knew, scattered around the building were grinning at me as I walked. All of these meet together on a monthly basis - I am with them. We are all lay Franciscans and of course they have my date of birth, my sister's address, etc. In this way the Order can organise things if and when necessary. Thinking back, I've always had a Birthday card from the local branch...so that is explained.

Shortly I shall go to bed having downed a wee drop; this acts as a muscle relaxant and prevents night cramps, which drive me mad. A suitable time has passed since taking my medication.

Harri is fast asleep so I'll turf him into the garden for a few minutes.

Later today I shall take myself, by taxi, to a local inn and treat myself to lunch. I do not usually do this...but I've never been 80 before!!! The ancient Celtic Ritual cry will be heard once more: "Pint of Lunch please, Landlord!" To be serious, I shall have a proper meal and a couple of glasses of wine.

Lol! That reminds me! I was still working in Camera retail when I became 65 and I received a notice from Work and Pensions to pass on to my employer so that I should no longer pay National Insurance.

You can guess what happened I'm sure. I waited until the second month had seen me pay the Insurance yet again and I rang the National Manager of the company "I didn't know what to do with it!" he said. "I'd never seen one before! So I filed it away!"

"Well, Dick," I replied; "You are far more likely to have seen one than I. After all, I've not been 65 before!!" He did not understand this...shame really! I then explained to him that if he were to pass it on to the Salaries section, I was sure they would know what to do. Hmmm...National Manager!!! It does make me wonder...

Anyway! Time for Harri to pop into the garden and for me to trip lightly up the stairs...as if! Good night all!!

Last edited by cambrensis; 27th December 2019 at 06:40 PM.

Default Re: Happy Birthday to Me....Tra-la-la-la!!!

Ian, wishing you a very happy birthday!

And if I used the Google translator correctly, that's also what's on the card!

Name:  birthday welsh.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  26.8 KB

Thanks so much, Hurry! I wasn't really after "greetings", but you've hit very close to home! "Penblwydd hapus" or "Penblwydd llawen" is what I'd have said. "penblwydd" means "top of the year" (cf "top of the morning") but we would never translate into English.

Had a couple of books from my sister; she knows my taste and my humour as well....one is entitled "Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese."

Wishing you a very happy birthday Cambrensis. Hope you have a lovely day. x

Forum Saint
    Kingswinford, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View crafters_corner_2's Feedback (+327)
    All-About crafters_corner_2
    View crafters_corner_2's Listings
    Forum Posts

"Lol! That reminds me! I was still working in Camera retail when I became 65"

and the camera you kindly repaired for me is still working. With the recommended couple of bangs, of course
    A very happy birthday, Ian, and many happy returns.

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    Thanks so much, Hurry! I wasn't really after "greetings", but you've hit very close to home! "Penblwydd hapus" or "Penblwydd llawen" is what I'd have said. "penblwydd" means "top of the year" (cf "top of the morning") but we would never translate into English.

Had a couple of books from my sister; she knows my taste and my humour as well....one is entitled "Age doesn't matter unless you're a cheese."
    You are very welcome! The book title reminds me of a Satchel Paige quote. "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Name:  66295200_10161971426895254_5630286758768803840_n.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  48.0 KB

Llawer yn dychwelyd yn hapus!
    Mwynhewch eich cacen!
    Visit my clothes store -here
    Look in my treasure in trove ! here
    For
    soy wax candles, tarts & melts click here
    For trading cards click here
    Visit my Tazo barhere

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

A very Happy Birthday Ian. Hope you enjoyed your lunch.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Thread Information