Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Uk virus alert!!!!

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Uk virus alert!!!!

I don't think they are doing that here in Scotland.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    I don't think they are doing that here in Scotland.
    So far as I can tell, it's just England and Wales that do this. I know someone on Facebook who gets the boxes in Scotland and she asked about it through her local government offices

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Those selfishly stockpiling are putting other people at greater risk.
    In theory I shop every Tuesday. Because of my age and one or two health problems I know that this may not always be possible. As a result I do not buy a couple of toilet rolls, one bottle of washing up liquid, etc. I built two shelves across my downstairs "cloaks" several years ago and I keep a stock of all essentials so that I do not have to bother other people if I cannot get out. Add to this the effect of memory..."Do I need another pack or not....I'd better take one in case!" So I do.
    Consequently, I am fine for a few months. In a shop I use weekly I was offered a dozen toilet rolls from beneath the counter - I took the pack and when I got home gave them to a young family across the road from me...one of my "parcel left" group I mentioned recently. As I have said before, we complain about lack of "community" spirit but we make our own community. It's an ethnically mixed family (UK and Ugandan). The young mum was amazed when I showed her my shelves and explained why they were as they are. I'm glad I did as she said. "That reminds me! I must try to get some washing up liquid"...so I was able to give her a couple of bottles.
    So I am not going out stockpiling from the shops while we are in crisis. I stockpile while I am not in personal crisis against the times when I am.

I have one loaf of bread in use, one ready in the fridge and one in the freezer. They get brought forward as necessary, so I buy only one loaf at a time. The original three were bought goodness knows how long ago! I always have three tubs of margarine in the fridge as well...I always work that way. (I know "margarine" is not a fashionable word, but let's not kid ourselves!!)
    I do not consider myself to be "selfish" - simply sensible about my situation and so glad I do not have to traipse around looking for essentials.

I joined a queue outside "Boots" pharmacy this morning - it was quite a long one. A security guard walking the line came up and asked me if I had a prescription. I did not as I needed pain killers only. I was waved straight in, bought my painkillers and was out in a few minutes. I do have a regular prescription from the doctor for heart medication. That is emailed to my local "Armada" pharmacy and I go to collect so that I get to speak with local people. I have my medication in a few minutes after arrival, I have a brief chat and a joke with the people there and I return home. Easy - make your community. I know that if I need help I'll get it...they address me by my Christian name whenever I go in.

Start making your community now by helping somebody else out if you can. It may not help during this crisis, but there will be others...life's like that!
    Last edited by cambrensis; 30th March 2020 at 02:25 PM.

Cam, I wish we had a vote up or like button for that.
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm grateful that the 'going outside for one period of exercise' lockdown exemption is not compulsory. I'd hate to have to double my normal efforts per day in that area.
    Last edited by astral276; 3rd April 2020 at 08:04 AM.

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I'm grateful that the 'going outside for one period of exercise' lockdown exemption is not compulsory. I'd hate to have to double my normal efforts per day in that area.
    "I may be gone for some time."

Name:  gone fo a while.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  22.6 KB
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free