Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: US Sellers & Taxes

Forum Newbie
    All-About SnappyKoala
    View SnappyKoala's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default US Sellers & Taxes

I'm new here, about to sell, looking for up-to-date, authoratative guidelines about taxes in the US. If I can't get answers, I won't use this platform.
    Does eBid collect? Do we have to set state by state? If there's a resource that explains this, please reply, it would be appreciated. I see comments about
    people trying to figure this out on their own... no thank you, I'd like to go with the consensus on this issue.

Forum Lurker
    West Hampstead, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View kodakfish's Feedback (+2289)
    All-About kodakfish
    View kodakfish's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: US Sellers & Taxes

being totally useless here as in UK might be worth going to your initial post and click edit> go to advanced then in the tag box tag Gazza, hopefully this will nudge da boss to get you a response. I'm sure having to monitor it state by state to see if the thresh-hold's reached is as much a nightmare for a currently smaller site [with a low-ish US footprint] as it is for you as a US seller
    #Gazza @Gazza

Quote Originally Posted by SnappyKoala View Post
    I'm new here, about to sell, looking for up-to-date, authoratative guidelines about taxes in the US. If I can't get answers, I won't use this platform.
    Does eBid collect? Do we have to set state by state? If there's a resource that explains this, please reply, it would be appreciated. I see comments about
    people trying to figure this out on their own... no thank you, I'd like to go with the consensus on this issue.
    It is currently a mess, and hopefully the legislation stalled in the Senate (aimed to make things more workable) will be acted upon. If you are selling less than the minimum $ threshold to any given state, then you are likely OK with not going through the mess of collecting state sales taxes and submitting those funds to each state (the lowest threshold is Idaho's $10k of sales, most others are $100k or more). Only very large online sellers fall into the category of folks required to collect state and local sales taxes. Some large auction-type sites now automatically charge state sales taxes, even on sales by sellers who don't do enough business to trigger sales taxes, just because it is easier to do it for everyone instead of determining who does/doesn't have to comply.

This site does a decent job of explaining: States with Internet Sales Tax
    Last edited by rocks2dust; 7th May 2020 at 03:55 PM.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocks2dust View Post
    It is currently a mess, and hopefully the legislation stalled in the Senate (aimed to make things more workable) will be acted upon. If you are selling less than the minimum $ threshold to any given state, then you are likely OK with not going through the mess of collecting state sales taxes and submitting those funds to each state (the lowest threshold is Idaho's $10k of sales, most others are $100k or more). Only very large online sellers fall into the category of folks required to collect state and local sales taxes. Some large auction-type sites now automatically charge state sales taxes, even on sales by sellers who don't do enough business to trigger sales taxes, just because it is easier to do it for everyone instead of determining who does/doesn't have to comply.

This site does a decent job of explaining: States with Internet Sales Tax
    Thanks for the link. I doubt anyone selling on eBid is required to collect and submit the tax from their online sales here. They would if selling on multiple sites pushed them over the thresholds. Thresholds are quite large; I would not mind collecting/submitting taxes if I had those type of earning thresholds. It is not a painful process, as the buyer is the one coughing up the funds anyway. It is more painful to fall out of compliance with State/Federal regs and get caught. Not worth it.

Thread Information