eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good News For the Over 70's

Default Re: Good News For the Over 70's

Quote Originally Posted by Mandart View Post
    Haha - a Knowledgeable Person! I live in sight of the River Medway - albeit in Man of Kent territory these days, but, hey, I don't mind slumming it a bit...

Hahaha!

I always have problems when there is a referendum or a census. The media, and also inviduals around me who have followed the media, tell me that the majority of Welsh people think or do this that or the other; of course, their language is confused as they mean the majority of people living in Wales, which is not the same thing at all. There is no factor to separate the two, which might make for interesting analyses. The same is true of several regions of the UK.

Oh indeed it is, indeed it is... I've often thought Kent should declare UDI, after all, Medway is no longer part of Kent so the rough bit's gone...we'll just have the nice bits left, well, apart from Dover, but that does have it's uses...

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm glad we live in Wales. Now - England, just watch as in a week the number of cases and deaths will be going up. Not sure the over 70's thing is good news. All it means is people over 70 are now invited out in England like other age groups, but knowing they are more at risk of complications and death than other groups. England is going for the herd immunity theory, which has not yet been proven. Last I heard, there is no proof that getting Covie-19 infers immunity to everyone, tho it may, for an indefinite period of time. So, no thanks, Boris. I plan to keep my powder dry and my stick on the floor.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HerMajesty View Post
    I'm glad we live in Wales. Now - England, just watch as in a week the number of cases and deaths will be going up. Not sure the over 70's thing is good news. All it means is people over 70 are now invited out in England like other age groups, but knowing they are more at risk of complications and death than other groups. England is going for the herd immunity theory, which has not yet been proven. Last I heard, there is no proof that getting Covie-19 infers immunity to everyone, tho it may, for an indefinite period of time. So, no thanks, Boris. I plan to keep my powder dry and my stick on the floor.
    I saw treating healthy over 70s as younger healthy people meant the have more choices. It means that they don't have to stay indoors but can sit in the park in the sunshine...I thought that would be a good thing. Mt husband is in the shielding group at aged 61 so is expected to stay indoors.

'Herd immunity' is not a theory, it's a term used by epidemiologists.

See https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/52/7/911/299077
    Click for bargain auctions!

Dropbox for 2GB of offsite storage to simplify your life. Click here, to get an extra 500MB of space!

All-About HerMajesty
    Forum Posts

I understand the concept of herd immunity. With this virus, herd immunity is still a theory, as is the idea of a vaccine. This particular corona virus, related to Ebola, Influenza, etc, has not yet been proven to confer immunity on people who had had it. And for those who it appears may have acquired some degree of immunity, it is not clear if they can still get the virus again, or transmit it, nor is it know how long any immunity may last. There is also the ability of viruses to mutate, meaning you might be immune after a bout of virus a, but in a few months it my change into virus x, to which you would nomt have immunity.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

With this virus, herd immunity is still a theory, as is the idea of a vaccine.
    Herd immunity isn't a theory in the sense of being an untested opinion. It is a scientifically tested and proven theory

I expect you already know, there is a huge difference between an opinion and scientific theory.

We will have to wait and see whether herd immunity applies to this particular strain
    Last edited by moonwitch; 11th May 2020 at 10:30 PM.

All-About HerMajesty
    Forum Posts

Yep, that's what I said. It is still theoretical whether it applies to this virus. Herd immunity works with some viruses, not all. The more infectious a disease is, the higher lever of immunity needs to be present to provide herd immunity (or community immunity, if you don't want to feel like you should be standing out in a field chewing your cud!).
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

another 627 dead today, Think of all those poor families that have lost a loved one. Lockdown shouldn't lift until the numbers are at or below 100 a day. Boris is lifting restrictions too soon, I despair.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    another 627 dead today, Think of all those poor families that have lost a loved one. Lockdown shouldn't lift until the numbers are at or below 100 a day. Boris is lifting restrictions too soon, I despair.

At least you can be grateful that Boris' folly does not apply to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    Seaside resorts, National Parks and other beauty spots in England are likely to be invaded by visitors from a distance bringing the virus with them and potentially overwhelming the local NHS facilities. There will be very little benefit to the local economies because cafes, pubs B&Bs and many shops are closed and they are not allowed to stay the night even in a tent or caravan.
    Last edited by tony41; 12th May 2020 at 10:57 PM.

Thread Information