eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to set my tax rate across all items at once?

Default Is there a way to set my tax rate across all items at once?

I imported from the other place. Then I did it again and accidentally had a lot of double listings which were automatically removed thank goodness. But since the other one does tax for the sellers, most of my listings from there did not have the tax for my state that I have to charge. I have 2 questions in relation.

Is there a way to just tell all my listings to use the right tax rate at once?

If I have paypal also set up to take tax will it do it twice? I have to have it that way for my website if anyone bought something there. If I can just have it on in one place or the other, I guess it easier to just let it happen at PP?

One more observation, the import brings in auctions that already had bids on the other one.

I really want this platform to work! The other place takes too much percentage. One thing that is bad though is that guy that owns the dot com of this platform name. It may turn out bad that it doesn't redirect to here.

I think the search for items will need to be more streamlined for buyers, or it could be I am talking before I found the thing.
    So is there a way to bulk change to tax for all?

tia
    carrie

Default Re: Is there a way to set my tax rate across all items at once?

There doesn't seem to be a place in Bulk Edit to change the sales tax fields. That might be a good suggestion to forward to support; useful for larger sellers.

I agree about the .com being a negative, however, the owner sitting on that domain (aka, domain squatting) has been holding out for $$$$$. There is supposed to be a rule addressing that, but the practice continues. Just be sure to call it "ebid.net" when mentioning and including active links in e-correspondence and it becomes less of a problem.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I personally do not believe that .net is a problem. It does seem to concern people in the US particularly.
    The Belgian site seems to operate satisfactorily using .net.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    I personally do not believe that .net is a problem. It does seem to concern people in the US particularly.
    The Belgian site seems to operate satisfactorily using .net.
    I am thinking the reason it is an issue is because anytime the owner of the dot com could make an auction website. If they are savvy (I say they, because it may be ebay that has it? If I was a huge business, I would buy up all the possible competing dot coms....) but if this platform is ever successful, the owner of the dot com can make an auction site there and steal all the business? I think too much.... yeah I bet they couldn't because its copyrighted? idk

back to my OP, really exhausting going through 300 listings to see if tax is on it. Maybe I will just swallow it if someone buys something and I didn't already adjust it. I need one of those things that I upload listings into then it can translate it to all the platforms. I am thinking of doing amazon too, but I need more organization first.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carriesgiftsgalore View Post
    I imported from the other place. Then I did it again and accidentally had a lot of double listings which were automatically removed thank goodness. But since the other one does tax for the sellers, most of my listings from there did not have the tax for my state that I have to charge. I have 2 questions in relation.

Is there a way to just tell all my listings to use the right tax rate at once?

If I have paypal also set up to take tax will it do it twice? I have to have it that way for my website if anyone bought something there. If I can just have it on in one place or the other, I guess it easier to just let it happen at PP?

One more observation, the import brings in auctions that already had bids on the other one.

I really want this platform to work! The other place takes too much percentage. One thing that is bad though is that guy that owns the dot com of this platform name. It may turn out bad that it doesn't redirect to here.

I think the search for items will need to be more streamlined for buyers, or it could be I am talking before I found the thing.
    So is there a way to bulk change to tax for all?

tia
    carrie
    Are you currently meeting the revenue requirements, that would necessitate collecting ecommerce sales tax for submission across your sales platforms? There is a forum thread that addresses those requirements on a state to state basis. Maybe someone could post a link to the thread or post.

P.S. I noticed all of your listings are RUS; this will not help the visibility of your listings. Would recommend using 7 to 10 day listings, with 10 automatic repost. This will help keep your listings at the top and more visible.

what is RUS

Forum Saint
    View Anniemcc2's Feedback (+3934)
    All-About Anniemcc2
    View Anniemcc2's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carriesgiftsgalore View Post
    what is RUS
    Run Until Sold.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Here is the thread that has Info on state by state requirements for collecting and submitting ecommerce sales taxes, for USA Sellers.

https://www.ebid.net/forums/showthre...axes&p=1719450

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

There are under addressed issues related to the collection and submission of ecommerce sales taxes.

1. Is the seller actually required to collect the taxes, etc?
    Not all sellers meet the nexus requirements for their state; and not all states collect internet tax revenue.

2. Does Ebay take into consideration the individual seller's requirements?
    Probably not. Ebay manages the seller's payments; collects the tax from the buyer; holds on to those tax payments in their interest bearing accounts; and submits tax revenue based on state requirements (i.e., monthly, quarterly).

3. Ebay and eBid are as different as apples and oranges. eBid does not collect or pay seller taxes. The seller would be responsible to collect the buyer taxes if required. They would also be responsible to submit the collected taxes to the state taxing authority. How is that being monitored at this time? Aside from the usual auditing that may take place. This is an area that could get quite messy. I do not think eBid has this issue worked out in policy at this time.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Actually, it would depend upon where the item was being shipped as to the tax rate to be charged. While many states in the US now have marketplace facilitator laws in place, I'm not sure that eBid meets the minimum requirements to fall under those laws.

With the exception of five US states, all others have sales/use tax statutes in place requiring buyers to pay sales/use tax on their purchases. Whether the seller is required to collect and remit them depends upon his state, his nexus in any other states and those state's laws. Those sellers having high volume sales in particular states may be required to collect them under the marketplace facilitator law of certain states if eBid isn't. However, most sellers would only be required to collect them in states in which they have a nexus.

Of course, the seller or the site not collecting the tax doesn't relieve the buyer from their tax liability. If not collected at the time of purchase, the buyer may be required to pay the taxes directly to their state themselves.

With regard to eBid not collecting and remitting sales taxes owed by buyers purchasing from sellers on the site, it is most likely that eBid does not meet the minimum amount of sales in the individual states to require them to do so. Otherwise, eBid would be required to do so just like eBay, Amazon and any other site doing business within that state. Of course, as eBid grows there may come a day that they would be required to do so or cease operations within those states.

Thread Information