eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postcard Categories

Default Re: Postcard Categories

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Save your breath to cool your porridge, as my grandmother would have said. The categories were designed by an expert and no-one listens to us.
    Were they really!!

I'm sorry to break into a thread about postcards but only do so in frustration. Years ago I noticed that I couldn't use the "Recently Used Categories" when listing under Date Lined Glass > Art Deco 1919 - 1939. I finally found out why. Although I have about 250 items currently listed in that sub-cat (plus around another 100 sold) it doesn't exist according to the Home Page list of categories to search on ebid. But it does and has 250 items listed, but is not recognised or shown on the HP.

To go by what the HP says, Pottery, Porcelain & Glass only has three sub-cats. for glass and a total of 646 live listings. No Date Lined Glass, no Pressed Glass, no Art Deco Glass.
    Look at ALL sub-cats. in Collectables Category and there is no mention of glass at all, anywhere, even date lined collectables only start at 1940.

The 646 figure is wrong as Glassware sub-cat. currently has over 800 live listings with the first one of mine down on page 5.

At least you have some sub-cats. Please spare a thought for glass sellers who according to the "expert" just don't exist on ebid.
    End of rant....
    Last edited by theElench; 14th November 2022 at 08:39 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

All frustration about categories seems to me to be justified!

The categories for crochet patterns were originally as suggested by me - clothing, toys & other, I think. Now we have patterns contemporary and patterns vintage - and no sub cats at all. All hidden under "Needlework" with, for example lacemaking & tatting not under needlework. Yes, I know you don't need a needle for much of lacemaking & tatting but they fit into that category (which I wouldn't have at all... I'd have Sewing and Yarncrafts as the top level categories).
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

What baffles me is why, when most of my glass is listed in an existing sub-cat., doesn't it appear on the HP under that sub-cat?
    Date lined ceramics do.

Instead all my Date Lined Glass is lumped in Glassware except 1 item that for no reason that I can see is in Art Glass.

It's not even consistent.

And because most of my listings are RUS they are on P.5 of Art Glass or P.7 and below of Glassware.

IF the full list of glass sub-cats. was shown on the HP it would be immediately obvious to browsers (which is what the list invites new visitors to the site to do) that there are getting-on for 300 Art Deco items for sale. Instead they are given the impression that there are ZERO and that there is very little glass of any sort available on ebid.

It seems to me like the "expert" did the glass categories on Friday afternoon and rushed it through to start their weekend early. Just chucked the first three in that came into their head and didn't bother thinking about the rest at all.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

One last interruption before letting this thread get back on track.

I've also listed a few items under existing sub-cats. for:
    Pressed Glass (160 items)
    Cut Glass & Crystal >
    Swarovski (958 items)
    Hofbauer (3 items)
    Waterford (66 items)

The figures in brackets are the number of live listings when I search specifically.

So adding those together with 270 Art Deco Glass items = 1457 items
    Yet the HP shows 646 glass items on the whole site???

Thread Information