eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of Paypal and its use on Ebid.???

Default The future of Paypal and its use on Ebid.???

Does anyone have any thoughts on something I mentioned a while back on an old thread that I can't now find.

That as obay is cutting its links with paypal there will be a lot less of an incentive for buyers and sellers to open paypal accounts or continue to maintain those that they have.

There's recently been some discussion of the matter over there and among other things mentioned is that the agreement severing links (and allowing paypal as a payment option) comes to an end in either 2023 or 2025. After that agreement ends there is no certainty that obay will allow buyers to pay with their paypal account balance and it's been pointed out that the large site beginning with "A" doesn't allow paypal at all.

If the two largest on-line platforms become "no-go areas" for paypal how many buyers will close their accounts, particularly in view of paypal's recent introduction of a charge for infrequently used accounts? In the future how many buyers will have little or no incentive to open an account at all.

There has been some mention of how paypal might see its future development without being able to rely on the captive market given to it by obay as its payment portal.

The suggestion being that the portal side of its revenue will become far less significant, while other activities such as on-line wallets, credit and cards will replace this. (Because they are far more profitable)

Where does that leave sellers on ebid with an integrated checkout via paypal, if paypal loses interest in facilitating payments and fewer buyers bother with having a paypal account for purchases?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Default Re: The future of Paypal and its use on Ebid.???

Well ever since PayPal was no longer owned by *bay they didn't collapse as some thought but grew amazingly and started making their own decisions, I think smaller sites that keep PP as an option will only gain traffic and profit. Also many sellers are now using their own websites due to being sick of *bay that have PP as an option which will only gain PP more profits and IMO lose *bay profits.

We also have FB Marketplace which is changing and will eventually be a threat who will use PP

The majority of the general public and Sellers of all kinds love using PP and you'll find most sellers have no clue who Adyen.
    The general public will not want use Apple pay or Google pay all the time and will prefer to use PP since it has been a reliable system for years meaning they will spend more on sites with PP still in play

PP also will start making their own moves as they have been each year and I wouldn't be surprised if they sponsored smaller sites

So all in all IMO *bay are looking to become a more auto style site with a large % of their sales being Dropped from a certain country but I feel they will and already are losing profits which is their own making

PP is a convenient option for every person in every country which will never change

I came back here in the hopes I can escape *bay but they still have that grasp since they still provide the sales but if I had those sales here the % of extra profits really is an eye opener and *bay will only increase those fee's over time as they have done every year for 20 years, so I am putting a lot more effort in here and I am pretty sure more new sellers and buyers will eventually come here

I agree with a lot of what you say and hope the rest turns out to be correct.

Are you saying that FB Marketplace will use PP, or that it will be a threat to other sites that do?

I agree that the public love PP and that it has been so reliable for so many for so long. But will that love continue if both *mazon and obay refuse payments from it? I'm sure etsy and obay are a double act so if one does something the other will surely follow.

I also agree that smaller sites that offer PP will see more traffic if the bigger sites close their doors to PP. I have noted the increasing number of new members here from the US + returning UK members. Both because of the increasing disenchantment with the bigger sites and their ever increasing fees.

Had my best year here so far, sales better than on obay for the first time and again agree that it's not just sellers that are fed-up with them.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

View purplestevie's Feedback (+8205)
    All-About purplestevie
    View purplestevie's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree with Haggislover, there are a lot of small sellers as well as well known high street names that use pp,and i am sure lots more will follow. In fact i have paid a friend for a an offline item today using pp. I also sent my daughters boyfriend money via paypal for his birthday 2 weeks ago

Indeed I am trying here again because of my annoyance with a certain other site already mentioned. They also still supply business, but it's not as it was. I also use a US based Print On Demand site, my payment to the UK is through PayPal by their insistence so I guess Paypal is here for a while.

Janners

Sorry yeh FB will probably have PP as a payment option. The USA peeps are ahead on changes as far as I know, so we will hear news on changes to most things before it happens here.

The bigger sites always have to copy each other which is why *mazon will always be the king, since they actually used their own brainstorming ideas for years and just keep growing!

I honestly feel the changes coming in the future will only benefit EBID and I dream of the day when I can call it my main site while not forking out 30-40% in fees

I very seldom buy anything from Amazon or eBay. But I do buy a lot of things online from other sites and use PayPal frequently. I don't think it's going to be a problem for eBid, PayPal is not going away.

In the run up to Christmas we purchased from lots of online sites most of which used Paypal and for the first year in ages didn't buy anything from the river or the bay.

Thanks for your views. So hopefully nothing to worry about then.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use Paypal at loads of places. I don't think it's going away any time soon

Thread Information