eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of Paypal and its use on Ebid.???

Default Re: The future of Paypal and its use on Ebid.???

I Agree. Paypal is not going anywhere anytime soon. I buy lots of stuff online (NOT from the bay any longer!) and MANY of my bigger suppliers (national chains too) also have paypal checkout so you can put things on a pay in 4 plan or paypal credit too... Nope, Paypal is around for the long haul...
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

View Mountman's Feedback (+122)
    All-About Mountman
    View Mountman's Listings
    Forum Posts

Also PP owns iZettle, so they get money from card payments that way, sellers at art and craft fairs, along with high street retailers now use izettle to take card payments, as there are no contracts, no minimal charges, so if you are closed by say lockdown, you don't get charged for not using the service, as you would do with Worldpay. iZettle, also do invoicing, payment links, etc. I would say PP is adapting to the situation and will be here for sometime

Yes, that's the sort of thing (cards) that was mentioned in what I read. The writers' opinion that pinged my alarm was that as PP spread its wings into more profitable areas of electronic finance, the proportion of its business / profits coming from its payment portal and processing would decline.

Possibly leading it to side-line, neglect and possibly even try to reduce an activity using a lot of resources for low rewards.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Our window cleaners have just started accepting Paypal. So, if anything, the use of Paypal is increasing.

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

As the utilization of Paypal increases, so does my scepticism of their operations. They are definitely expanding into unchartered financial territories. They have even started allowing its users to buy, hold, and sell cryptocurrencies on their platform. I shudder at the thought of Paypal intertwined with crypto.

I went in to see what kind of fees they were going to be charging to deal with cryptocurrency, and was met with an avalanche of countries but no specific charge amounts, unless I looked at it wrong. What I found more interesting was the proliferation of fees Paypal was charging for every imaginable reason under the sun. They are even considering charging buyers charge back fees; I had to laugh at this one.

I continue not to trust Paypal, and I continue not to use their services as a seller here. Needless to say this has not enhanced my sales. Who knows, I might reconsider my decision.

P.S. Wait until they start locking users out of their accounts who have tens of thousands of dollars in cryptocurrencies in their Paypal accounts. That is if they are foolish enough to allow Paypal to hold their crypto.

I'm cheered by everyone's complete lack of pessimism. Not at all the scenario I'd imagined from what I'd read previously which conjured up an image of increasing numbers of buyers without paypal accounts and as the number of accounts fell, paypal losing interest in providing its transfer services.

I've no great love for any of the tech. giants, but I was having difficulty trying to envision selling here without all buyers having a paypal account. I've offered the personal cheques option on all my listings, but never had a single buyer use it. Whatever I think about giant corporations, paypal is quick, easy and above all trusted to safely move money world-wide.

Paypals current shambles re. PSD2 / SCA and locking people out of their accounts is surely a temporary problem? Possibly just being used as a lever to get account holders to do as they're told and buy a mobile phone (from which paypal will benefit in some way). A problem that paypal might solve rather quicker if the FCA started threatening fines and compensation payments to customers for the inconvenience caused.

I know next to nothing about crypto-currency. I have a suspicion that it's another of those artificial trading constructs invented by Wall St. and The City. They play their games and conjure millions of £/$'s out of nothing and when disaster strikes, leave the tax-payer with the bill??

If paypal wants to accept bitcoin, as long as they pay me in £'s do I need to worry? As long as I'm not the one holding them when the music stops, is it my concern?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

What an optimistic and positive force Paypal exhibits. One day after I posted my assessment of them, my credit line was decreased. By the way, it has been the same for years. Ouch.....had little overall impact. Guess it just pays for the average josmo to do as they are told and do not make waves.

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    I've no great love for any of the tech. giants, but I was having difficulty trying to envision selling here without all buyers having a paypal account. I've offered the personal cheques option on all my listings, but never had a single buyer use it. Whatever I think about giant corporations, paypal is quick, easy and above all trusted to safely move money world-wide.
    I would just add that buyers do not need to have or open a paypal account in order to pay using paypal. As a seller, one needs a pp account, but it makes little difference on the buyers' side.

Evidently that's something I missed. When I first started buying on another site where paypal was mandatory and paypal was the only option offered by many sellers, I had to open an account and supply a back-up bank account before I could buy anything. I'd assumed things had stayed much the same.

That a "Guest Buyer" had not become a member of ebid, but their paypal account was their passport to being able to buy.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    Evidently that's something I missed. When I first started buying on another site where paypal was mandatory and paypal was the only option offered by many sellers, I had to open an account and supply a back-up bank account before I could buy anything. I'd assumed things had stayed much the same.

That a "Guest Buyer" had not become a member of ebid, but their paypal account was their passport to being able to buy.
    My Billy asked me a while back to pay for something he wanted to buy with my Paypal as the buyer only offered Paypal. He ended up paying for his purchase with his debit card after I explained he could do that without having a Paypal account.

Thread Information