Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Third time's the charm? Perhaps.. I am back again after 10-ish years with new stuff!

Default Third time's the charm? Perhaps.. I am back again after 10-ish years with new stuff!

Finally gave up on trying to beat that dead horse known as "Small Engine Repair Shop in a REALLY rural setting" which simply does not work - at all.. (at least not to be profitable) .. and after closing that shop, I found I had all kinds of time on my hands.. Lots of boredom, and an empty shop space, that I finally managed to get cleaned out... So, what do I go and do? I make ANOTHER mess in my shop and started in on my first love (which I hadn't been able to enjoy for 30-odd years, because, well, life, and all that... ) After getting the shop equipped and getting some organizing done, finished my first few projects (including a new garage door for the shop, and several christmas gift projects) I have finally started working off the rust on my skill set and decided to start posting my creations up for sale, finally... So feel free to have a look, and check back every so often -

https://stores.ebid.net/really-rural-woodworks

As always, I'd love feedback and constructive criticism (and/or requests)
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

Default Re: Third time's the charm? Perhaps.. I am back again after 10-ish years with new stu

Nice! I don't know what prices are like in the US, but here (in the UK) I would say you are maybe too cheap. perhaps add 30% as a minimum. I would really emphasize the artisan aspect.
    On your photo's you could do a "From this....to this", ie a lump of wood, to a few scruffy bits of wood, then the finished project. Really promote your skills.
    Use the rural setting in your photo's and promote an "in touch with nature" feel.
    Think of a customer, a wealthy customer, think of an affluent setting in an expensively furnished room. Now would they put something in there at say $20 or would they put something in there at $120? OK I have really pushed up the value but aim high shoot for the stars, if you miss and hit the moon it's still party time.
    If you can get a small rich customer base that says "I got this from "my man" in Roulette" then you have nailed it. Use the story you tell above in your listings or the about me page, use photo's to build an image of rural artisan, create a feel and vibe. Wood is a fantastic medium to this sort of thing with as it's already part way there itself.

I am just an unknown figure on the internet so feel free to ignore me, I won't be offended.

Janners

Default Re: Third time's the charm? Perhaps.. I am back again after 10-ish years with new stu

Hmm wow.. all seems like excellent advice there.. Pricing, I really had no idea what to list for, these being my first projects that I attempted to sell.. I just come up with an arbitrary formula (I.E. bowl diameter multiplied by height, times 2.5 = price) to at least keep consistent.. I never really paid any attention to the art markets (we don't really have much of one in this rural setting, either) so hadn't really considered trying to promote *my* artistic talents (Which I never considered myself having) - I feel the real art is in the wood itself, and I am just helping it to display itself.. Thanks for the feedback..
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

View Policequilts's Feedback (+995)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

Do make sure you state that they are handmade / hand crafted.

Definitely raised your prices.
    Do comparisons with other people's items.
    Check Etsy and see that their prices are much higher and you seem to have some more unique items.

Good luck !

Great to see you back Ideal, long time no see ! What lovely items, I agree you should be asking a bit more for beautiful hand crafted items like that.
    A real shame international postage is so high now (not only the USPS but also Royal Mail going to the US) but I'm sure you will do really well with sales in your home country with lovely hand crafted items like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961 View Post
    Great to see you back Ideal, long time no see !
    Likewise, It feels good to be back and seeing some familiar faces from 2007-2008 (Has it REALLY been that long!!??) .. Trying to become more active again in the forums and elsewhere, what with my semi-retirement (no job, no prospects for one, and on disability.... so, retired 10 years early)
    Quote Originally Posted by cornishmaid1961
    What lovely items, I agree you should be asking a bit more for beautiful hand crafted items like that.
    A real shame international postage is so high now (not only the USPS but also Royal Mail going to the US) but I'm sure you will do really well with sales in your home country with lovely hand crafted items like that.
    OK I am convinced.. I think I will leave some of these first ones priced as they are.. but will re-visit my pricing (and probably my shipping options as well) and see what I can do.. Thanks for the feedback!

A fresh new listing for the Crochet / Knitting crowd to have a peek at! "Jean's Yarn Box" one-off prototype designed by a crochet-er (is that a word?) turned out beautifully in some tiger stripe oak.. https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/han...-199052796.htm

Oh I also forgot to mention this beautiful and unique 4-sided bowl / candy dish (round bowl fits square block?) https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/han...-199052806.htm

Thread Information