eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Pay (G Pay)

View burgyeb's Feedback (+946)
    All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Google Pay (G Pay)

Is anyone familiar with how to receive a payment using Google Pay? I never remembered the Google Wallet process being so convoluted.

I do not accept PayPal, and this is clearly stated in all of my listings and on my About Me Page. I am becoming somewhat leary of trying to use it as a payment method with this buyer, as they keep stringing me along with repeated questions, that seem to be trying to get more and more of my information.

I sent a link that I had received from Google asking the buyer to click on the link (my invite) and we'd both receive a reward. The buyer sent me the link in an email, and has worded it to look like they had originally sent the link to me. They are now asking me to scan their QR code to link our GPay accounts. Note: Google Pay said nothing about doing that, and I do not scan codes.

I am beginning to wonder about this. I think I should have support review the transaction(s)and make recommendations.

Default Re: Google Pay (G Pay)

I dont know anything about it but as you sent them a link to pay tell them to click the link and pay up or to go away or words to that effect, dont click on any links off them in case it's a scam like you say ask support to check it for you

I agree - don't scan that QR code - chances are excellent it will take you to a site that "looks" exactly like you expect (gpay) and ask for your login information or bank information or some other innocuous procedure .. (if not containing some code to scan your computer or cookies, etc) .. I'd tell them - either click the gpay link I sent them and pay up, or I'll cancel the transaction and blackball them... and then follow through .. I'd much sooner get a bad feedback and "lose" a buyer (I call it Firing the Customer... or you brits might call it sacking instead of firing) than lose any financial info or login hints.. y'know?
    Many changes yet again, started a new venture, and you can watch my store grow here: Really Rural Woodworks

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks for the replies Buttons and Ideal; I have not clicked on QR Code, and I am still waiting for support recommendations.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

I must say, this is the first time that I have been totally disappointed with eBid's response to an issue like this. eBid indicated that it would be impossible to get involved in the matter as it addressed alias names on gpay.

Following eBid's response I continued communication with the buyer and made attempts to troubleshoot gpay site. Unfortunately, gpay had no live chat support available due to staff shorage and the pandemic. I finally located very specific information on sending a request for payment. It also gave message: "IMPORTANT: If you try to send request for payment to a person who is still using the old gpay app you will have to send an invite for them to get the new app. I sent the buyer the another link from there.

The buyer responded, "Gpay sent me a link saying I could make my payment with it; maybe you can do something with it". I responded to the buyer that they needed to click on the link that was sent to them and make payment to me. Even after receiving this very specific link which said it was to make payment, the buyer responded by asking me for more personal information.

The buyer actually stated that they found a way for me to request a payment. They told me to use my phone number. I responded back to the buyer to respond to the link that gpay sent them to make payment. I have sent buyer their second eBid payment reminder after asking them to use the gpay provided link to make payment.

Note: The buyer uses totally different name and email address on gpay then on eBid. I am not giving them my phone number.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Completed the process and was able to get my eBid fees refunded. Buyer was removed by eBid as result of 3 additional NPB ratings. May need to rethink my payment options, as support from payment providers is hard to come by with pandemic impact.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have been doing a bit of research on Payment Processing Systems and was surprised by some of the things I learned. A very common category of payment processing are the "mobile payment apps" or the one click type payment methods. Google Pay (GPay) falls into this category; but so does the payment apps Zello, Venmo, Cash Pay, PayPal, and Apple Pay.

The surprising thing is that they are affiliated with major banks, major payment platforms, and major social platforms; but are not protected against fraudulent transactions. See link below:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2021/02/11/...or-fast-money/

The above article indicated that the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) has received double the amounts of reports of fraud since one year ago, related to use of mobile payment apps. Consumer Protection Groups are advising that Congress gets involved, to protect users similar to credit and debit cards. Of course consumers will pay for this added protection. This article also includes tips for safely using payment apps.

As a positive shout out to eBid, even though their initial response was troubling, their automated support system resolved my problem. Thank you eBid!

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    The surprising thing is that they are affiliated with major banks, major payment platforms, and major social platforms; but are not protected against fraudulent transactions.
    I think this revelation came up a few years ago, PayPal and no doubt all of the other 'non-credit card' or brick and mortar banks are effectively unregulated private entities, they could do whatever they want with your money (and often do), if they went bust tomorrow because some scumbag embezzled all of the money, you'd probably lose everything that was stored in their accounts (I maintain a zero balance with PayPal at all times, and I never withdraw funds to a real bank account, only pay that way if my PayPal account doesn't have enough funds). If you're going to trade online then my advice would be to offer PayPal and perhaps one other, keep in mind they all have their problems - Apple Pay for example will likely want to take a considerable cut for doint not a lot, Google Pay is a system that was set up by people who perhaps knew what they were doing but have now moved on so the system is likely now maintained by people of, shall we say, maybe lesser skills (according to what I've heard from ex-Google employees, anyway). Another thing about Google is that they have no respect for their users, they will change the way their systems and services work at the drop of a hat and offer very little or no support for the vast number of people who've come to rely on those services, I've seen this happen and it can really mess up a lot of stuff, nowadays I have no time for Google (I actively block their tracking, the only service I still use is email).

All of these payment processors are vulnerable to hacking, fraud, and abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by burgyeb View Post
    The above article indicated that the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) has received double the amounts of reports of fraud since one year ago, related to use of mobile payment apps.
    Which doesn't surprise me in the slightest. They said the new debit / credit cards were a massive step towards eliminating fraud committed using cash and the older 'dumb' cards, well now it's all internet based payments, near-field-communications on smart phones, massive opportunities for fraud, hacking, and in-the-air interceptions (literally, a hacker could be standing behind you in the queue or even just walk by and silently hack a smart phone in someone's pocket).

I offer PayPal only on my auctions, it is at least a known quantity and thus far I haven't had any problems with using it (touch wood). I used to offer cheque payments but that's much more difficult for me these days and people probably aren't willing to wait a week so that I can be sure the money went in before I post the item.

As for the scumbag giving you the runaround, no doubt a scammer just trying to get your personal details. It's scary what they can do with just a few simple bits of information. That's another good reason to stick with something like PayPal - they can't use my PayPal account name as a form of fraudulent identification, and that should be the only piece of information they get from me (unless I'm the buyer, then they get my address but that can't be helped, and scammers aren't usually sellers).
    Last edited by heatemyfather; 14th February 2021 at 10:09 PM.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heatemyfather View Post
    As for the scumbag giving you the runaround, no doubt a scammer just trying to get your personal details. It's scary what they can do with just a few simple bits of information. That's another good reason to stick with something like PayPal - they can't use my PayPal account name as a form of fraudulent identification, and that should be the only piece of information they get from me (unless I'm the buyer, then they get my address but that can't be helped, and scammers aren't usually sellers).

There are many who would consider this statement slanderous. The buyer is no longer active, but they might be able to see your comments. I do not consider the experience as "scarey", because fear is not of God. Fear has never motivated me to stick with anything or anyone. It certainly would not prompt me to stick with PayPal.

I have used PayPal for decades, and what prompted me to stop using them as a seller on eBid, was the excessive fraudulent activity that was going on with many eBid users. I have not seen any recent complaints or complaints for some time of the fraudulent activity reported in the forums.

However, I did not arrive at the decision easily, and I will not be changing my mind easily. It was the same process I went through when I decided not to use eBay anymore as a seller. I was doing quite well there when I made that decision, but I did not like the way they treated many of their sellers. That decision was made over a decade ago, and I have not changed my mind. As far as I can see, things have only continued to deteriorate over there.

Using PayPal or any payment processor is an individual choice and decision. No one has the right to impose that decision on another person. It is a personal or business choice.

All-About burgyeb
    View burgyeb's Listings
    Forum Posts

Have continued looking at the area of payment options. The only category discussed thus far are the mobile cash apps; there are at least 4to 5 additional categories used by sellers and buyers. All identified apps in that category have been shown to be at risk for scams, fraud, and hacking.

What is commonly seen is the comparison between and exchange of apps in the mobile cash app category for other options in the same category. They are all problematic This includes PayPal, Zelle, Venmo, Apple Pay, Google Pay.

The seeking of a solution within a known pool of problematic players seems to border on denial at best. The only explanation I can think of is that the players are offered as "free" or "low cost" services; and that appeals to many users particularly sellers.

I would like to look outside of the mobile payment app category, and PayPal specifically, to consider other payment processing service categories. This may include more regulation and more cost, but it doesn't necessarily require more of both or either.

In other words, the solution is not to dump mobile cash app A for mobile cash app B. The use of PayPal general services poses even more complex issues for its users. Some of those complexities are only beginning to surface. PayPal is not the ultimate solution; and finding a true PayPal "alt" will be more daunting task than finding a true oBoy alt. BEWARE THE ALT!

Thread Information