My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: How to return an item that's Significantly Not As Described

Question How to return an item that's Significantly Not As Described

Having scoured all the Help files and these forums, I can find no information about the correct way to return an item I received that is Significantly Not As Described.

I've contacted the seller (a business) who has sent me a return, pre-paid postage label, thereby accepting the return.

Do I just go to the Post Office, hand it over and get a Proof of Posting, or is there more to it?

On the rip-off auction site, I'd open a case, and the whole returns process would be monitored:- PayPal would put a hold on my money within the seller's account and refund me directly when the item has been delivered back to the seller. Easy and reasonably safe.

If I just return this item, PayPal has no knowledge of this and the whole refund thing is down to the honesty and integrity of the seller.

So, what's the correct way to go about returning an item that is not as described?

Maybe I'll check with PayPal…

View Policequilts's Feedback (+996)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: How to return an item that's Significantly Not As Described

You should be ready to go.

Your seller sent you a return postage label.
    Box the item. Place the label on it.
    There should be a tracking number on it.
    Keep a copy and the post office should scan it and you should be able to track it through the Post Office or ?? website.

I would just send a quick note to the seller, once the package is at the post office and that it's on its' way.

Thanks for your input.

However, my concern is that I'm relying on the honesty and integrity of the seller.
    Whilst the return postage label is tracked, it doesn't prove that the package contains a returned item due for refund.
    If I could log the item within eBid or with PayPal as being returned due to being not as described, then the whole return / refund thing would be tracked and I would be sure to get my money refunded.

My initial question was to determine whether eBid had a tracked returns system (like the other auction site does) that I was not aware of.

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

No eBid has no tracked service. You could maybe pay for a tracked service at the PO but depending on how large the item is that could cost you quite a bit.
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelbrigda View Post
    No eBid has no tracked service. You could maybe pay for a tracked service at the PO but depending on how large the item is that could cost you quite a bit.
    No Need to worry - in this instance!

Only a few days after posting my item with a tracked returns label, I received a PayPal refund.
    It would have been a whole lot less stressful however, if eBid had a returns system like that other auction site does, whereby I lodge a complaint, the money is put on hold, I return the item via tracked postage and upon its return I have a refund - Simple!

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

You mentioned wanting a returns system like the other side but on the other side it has been open to abuse which has caused lots of problems for some sellers.

You mentioned honour and integrity of the seller this also has to apply to the buyer, sadly in some cases the sellers have lost out, some of them to the tune of hundreds of pounds.

Yeah - I get it. It's difficult to provide a reliable system that's honest and fair, without being open to abuse from either side.

Thread Information