eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Debit cards?

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Debit cards?

I've recently had two buyers who wanted to pay with a debit card. I am not happy with giving out my bank details. Older members of the forum will remember the chaos caused in the past by a "buyer" setting up direct debits on sellers' accounts. While the banks should not have allowed this, it still happened and cost each of us HOURS to sort out.

So, how can they pay?

Both buyers have just vanished on me - which is normal I find if they don't pay quickly - and I want to prevent it happening again.

I've offered to take a cheque in each case.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Default Re: Debit cards?

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I've recently had two buyers who wanted to pay with a debit card. I am not happy with giving out my bank details. Older members of the forum will remember the chaos caused in the past by a "buyer" setting up direct debits on sellers' accounts. While the banks should not have allowed this, it still happened and cost each of us HOURS to sort out.

So, how can they pay?

Both buyers have just vanished on me - which is normal I find if they don't pay quickly - and I want to prevent it happening again.

I've offered to take a cheque in each case.
    I had one of those sales just over a week ago asking if I took credit card. Told them not unless it goes through Paypal. Never heard from the buyer again so marked them as a non-paying bidder ( I give at least a week for someone to pay).
    I mean how hard is it to ask the question before you buy the item?
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

That's the scenario - happens a couple of times a month.
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

Confusing! Why is Credit/Debit Cards a tick option when listing if they can't actually pay that way

I looked at Help and they still have PPPay and escrow mentioned on there, needs an update!

The site could use other options for people to pay especially since PayPal will become less used slightly with changes on paypal and *bay etc

It's been mentioned before but this year is the time to take advantage of the large percentage of sellers from *bay wanting to try new sites since many are now on the last legs of being forced onto managed payments

Laurencekirk, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
    View Maelbrigda's Feedback (+2605)
    All-About Maelbrigda
    View Maelbrigda's Listings
    Forum Posts

Credit debit cards is probably an option since people and shops with a terminus machine can accept them
    Simply Handmade all my handmade items
    Maelbrigda's Bits and Pieces For Clothing and Jewellery, Ornaments, Odds & Ends & Much More
    Craft Store Crafty bits & pieces. Patterns, Card, Yarn, Stamps and more
    Books, Blu Rays, DVD's, CD's and Vinyl Records
    https://www.ebid.net/uk/stores/The-Pagan-Tree

Please have a look. I combine postage wherever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by BordersBargains View Post
    Confusing! Why is Credit/Debit Cards a tick option when listing if they can't actually pay that way

I looked at Help and they still have PPPay and escrow mentioned on there, needs an update!

The site could use other options for people to pay especially since PayPal will become less used slightly with changes on paypal and *bay etc

It's been mentioned before but this year is the time to take advantage of the large percentage of sellers from *bay wanting to try new sites since many are now on the last legs of being forced onto managed payments
    I'm one of those on their last legs over there (been ordered to sign-up by 31 / 5). It's not giving obay my (stand-alone on-line only) bank details that is the problem, PP has them so does ebid. For me, it's some of the other stuff that comes with this forced change-over. I'm putting it off as long as possible and if there was more clarity about what is going on with PP I'd probably dump obay rather than go ahead.

As things stand I'll probably have to sign up as PP is still trying to pressure account holders into using a mobile, which I won't do. With the uncertainty around my future use of PP, I'll have to join obays MP just in case I'm denied access to PP which will effectively put an end to my selling here.

I agree that ebid needs some other options if PP is going to become restrictive and starts imposing more barriers to its use. There is the still not fully explained update about private accounts not being able to have sales proceeds processed to them, to think about. (See "Paypal Updates" thread.) Some of the problem buyers who want to use debit / credit cards but not through PP are probably asking to do that because PP has locked them out of their account so they can't use PP. I left a few comments on the PP boards on two threads (amongst many) about not having a mobile and months later I'm getting one or two notifications each week as more people add to the number being denied access. The latest just this morning.

I've always had Cheques as an option on my listings (it's never been used), I've recently started adding BACS transfers (although I'm uneasy about handing out my bank details to random buyers, if it's ever used. Yet again a monopoly corporation is causing problems with its demands, it would be so good if it there was an alternative.
    Last edited by theElench; 16th May 2021 at 06:57 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

All-About madelaine
    Forum Posts

OK, so the answer to my original question is "nobody knows?"
    Madelaine

My Postcard Shop
    and

View MPS16's Feedback (+3501)
    All-About MPS16
    View MPS16's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    OK, so the answer to my original question is "nobody knows?"
    If you have a Paypal Business Account you can create your own personalized invoices and send them out via PayPal.

"Get paid: With PayPal Invoicing, your customers will automatically have the option to pay you online using their credit or debit card, PayPal account, or PayPal Credit"

PayPal in my opinion is still a cheap and flexible payment provider.
    Please Visit My Stores

Meccano Shop
    Postcards Shop
    Stamps Shop
    DVD Shop

I'm free-I'm free
    And freedom tastes of reality
    I'm free-I'm free
    And I'm waiting for you to follow me

TOMMY

I see people using PayPal less to pay for things in the future especially sellers that buy here and on others places to sell on the other site since with MP active they no longer get funds put into PayPal, so other payment options would certainly help not only sellers but buyers more

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MPS16 View Post
    If you have a Paypal Business Account you can create your own personalized invoices and send them out via PayPal.

"Get paid: With PayPal Invoicing, your customers will automatically have the option to pay you online using their credit or debit card, PayPal account, or PayPal Credit"

PayPal in my opinion is still a cheap and flexible payment provider.
    I can't use my Paypal account as none of my contact numbers work.

I have now removed the paypal oprion from all of my income streams so would need a card payment machine to take card payments

Thread Information