Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: What are you using at the moment?

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default What are you using at the moment?

Just curious to see what the current trends are in computing among users on eBid.

For my sins, my main computer is currently an old MacBook Pro running MacOS High Sierra (the latest MacOS that will run on this hardware, officially at least), however the discreet AMD graphics card inside has given up the ghost so I've had to tell it in no uncertain terms (and with some peeking and poking of the NVRAM) to disable that discreet graphics card so that it will only use the onboard Intel graphics (which is part of the main CPU I believe). So I'm trying to migrate away from this machine but it's actually more difficult than it sounds because I use it for so many different things, and some of the software either isn't as good or simply doesn't exist on other computer platforms, so frustrating!

I also have a Windows PC and a Linux PC, each has it's uses, advantages, and drawbacks. I'd buy another Mac but they're just silly money and I can't afford it right now (this old MacBook is from 2011). I've recently become aware of the big interest in running MacOS in VirtualBox with a few tweaks to the setup, basically running it in an optimised emulator, people say it's faster than on a real Mac which I can actually believe because Apple are famous for throttling their hardware. I'll be looking into that for sure.

I might just end up with two or three different computers and use each for different purposes.
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: What are you using at the moment?

I have a Windows desktop pc - I like a proper keyboard - and a windows laptop and a very basic android tablet which acts like an ereader as well as allowing me to keep in touch when away from home. I used to know the specification for everything but somehow I've lost focus.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

I use an HP Pavilion pc, windows 10 for most of what I do, backed up with an HP Pavilion laptop to the same spec, and a 10 inch tablet purely for simple stuff like reading and games

View Policequilts's Feedback (+995)
    All-About Policequilts
    View Policequilts's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a desktop computer.
    Custom built
    Use a monitor and keyboard with Windows 10

Tried using a laptop. Who made things so small?
    Returned it to my computer tech

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

I use an HP chromebook as I try to avoid anything from Windows as it's never worked well for me.

Back at my old address I had a desktop run on Linux. I don't have room for a desk or table at this address, hence the Chromebook

I got round the 'you need Word for manuscript' by converting my book Google document manuscripts to PDF files and using that route instead

View Inknook's Feedback (+10)
    All-About Inknook
    View Inknook's Listings
    Forum Posts

2015 Acer predator G3-605 PC running Windows 10 which my son donated to me after he took out its graphics card. Old Lenovo laptop on Windows 10, used purely for travel but it's really slow (fate currently undecided). A rescued & refurbished 2010 iMac which we've had for about 8mths, it's got a great quality screen for movies & viewing the security camera streams, and a little Samsung tablet that I play a game on.

I use old software that isn't available anymore and for a long time had kept an XP laptop dedicated to them, fortunately some file tweaks & compatibility mode eventually got them working on the PC.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Inknook View Post
    Old Lenovo laptop on Windows 10, used purely for travel but it's really slow (fate currently undecided). A rescued & refurbished 2010 iMac which we've had for about 8mths, it's got a great quality screen for movies & viewing the security camera streams.
    May I recommend that you try Mint Linux (Debian branch) on that old Lenovo laptop, I was surprised how well it runs on an old Acer of mine, and thus far it's been a lot better and more stable than Ubuntu Mint or any other flavour of Ubuntu.

I have a big old iMac sitting in it's box, sadly unloved and unused because the graphics card expired (seems to be a running thing with me, my main gaming PC graphics card went splat too). Hmm, someone somewhere probably knows how to get around this problem with the iMac assuming there's onboard Intel graphics available as well, I shall have to investigate!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Forum Newbie
    All-About superbyelich
    View superbyelich's Listings
    Forum Posts

I run GNU/Linux, Xubuntu, on a EVOO Gaming Laptop that I got second hand. Works well for work and play.

Specs: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz
    16 GB RAM
    GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile graphics

Thread Information