eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Veganism

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Veganism

Have you ever tried it?

I'm thinking of trying it out all through February to see what it's like.

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Veganism

We do 90% vegetarian....a lot of which is vegan. The older I get, the more I am attracted to it. There is such variety and health benefits, but the trick is making sure you get a balanced diet with sufficient protein. That means knowing that you need to combine incomplete proteins of different types so your body can create the proteins it needs. People have done this for eons. Beans and rice make a complete protein......think Mexican food. Beans and corn do.....think chili with cornbread. Scrambled tofu (seasoned like eggs) and toast (wheat) make complete protein breakfasts. Endless, almost, possibilities once you research it. And there are a lot of good vegan/vegetarian restaurants, cookbooks, and advice out there.
    One of the best little books explaining some of the ins and outs of vegetarian/vegan options is "Diet for a Small Planet", which I've had since the late 1960's or early '70's. An oldie but goodie. Also gives recipes, if I remember right. Give it a try. Or slowly change over. There is no right or wrong way to make such a change....but you may find you prefer it. If you don't, there's always McDonalds!
    Last edited by HerMajesty; 13th January 2022 at 05:41 PM.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks,

I plan to get most of my complete protein from unsweetened soya milk.

I was thinking of only having meat and dairy on Fridays, but maybe after Feb

View HerMajesty's Feedback (+1863)
    All-About HerMajesty
    View HerMajesty's Listings
    Forum Posts

You might want to research a bit more......I don't believe just soy milk has complete protein. Proteins are made from amino acids, and beans have some kinds, other starches and veggies have others. our body combines them to create complete proteins. Soy milk has protein, as do other beans, corn, rice, wheat, veg, etc....just various kinds. It's the combining of the amino acids in each that's important.
    Ta-Ta for now!

HerMajesty

Slide Inn for Vintage 35mm photographic slides
    https://uk.ebid.net/stores/Slide-Inn

ALSO!! Click below to see my store, THE BEE'S KNEES!
    https://the-bees-knees.ebid.net

I've just read an article from a BBC homepage link on vegan egg substitution. My late wife taught cookery as chemistry so I read this with interest. To be honest, I was reminded of childhood poverty coupled with WWII shortages and remembered things called "chickens" which we kept in the yard. How deliciously uncomplicated this was and still could be. Hens do not need degrees in food technology; they simply produce one item which may be used in umpteen different processes. To do this "vegan-wise" you have to create umpteen different mixtures. Do read the BBC article.

Of course, when its laying days are over, our hen is capable of fulfilling another function! (VBG)
    Last edited by cambrensis; 21st January 2022 at 04:46 PM.

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cambrensis View Post
    I've just read an article from a BBC homepage link on vegan egg substitution. My late wife taught cookery as chemistry so I read this with interest. To be honest, I was reminded of childhood poverty coupled with WWII shortages and remembered things called "chickens" which we kept in the yard. How deliciously uncomplicated this was and still could be. Hens do not need degrees in food technology; they simply produce one item which may be used in umpteen different processes. To do this "vegan-wise" you have to create umpteen different mixtures. Do read the BBC article.

Of course, when its laying days are over, our hen is capable of fulfilling another function! (VBG)
    Love your outlook on this especially the "umpteen different mixes" I also saw a programme which showed how plant material was being made into "burgers" the energy used to do this seemed to me contradict the energy/climate debate, had to laugh though because they also featured jack fruit which supposedly those tasting it said it was lovely, personal taste I suppose but having tried it I give it a big thumbs down.

Forum Lurker
    All-About Merking
    View Merking's Listings
    Forum Posts

I lasted 3 days!

Oh well. Maybe next month

Thread Information