Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PayPal alternatives

Default Re: PayPal alternatives

I sold many items here in the past, when the alternative asked for experimental sellers for managed payments, Paypal closed my account. they claimed I was selling an item which was not permitted, but would not say what, and told me to get a lawyer to find out. i was crushed, because managed payments killed my sales still to this date. i tried putting a note in my listings I use to have here to pay with Stripe, and never had any luck. Stripe works well at other places the few sales that I have made. I have over 2k items to move over here if the owners would add Stripe.

Site has gone stagnant sadly, It was a site I invested lots of time in, recommended, advertised etc but nothing has changed

can you use stripe on here or other payment processors not paypal, not using paypal anymore because a scammer bought $2000 worth items with my paypal. i've shut down my ebid store til I work out what payment processor to use

Penny

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pensgoldmine View Post
    can you use stripe on here or other payment processors not paypal, not using paypal anymore because a scammer bought $2000 worth items with my paypal. i've shut down my ebid store til I work out what payment processor to use

Penny
    You can use any payment system you like on eBid but only Paypal is integrated. So you would have to raise your own invoice and mark sales progress on the Sales log.

I've just completed my first sale to a buyer who doesn't use paypal and wanted to pay using BACS/EFT bank transfer. It all seems to have gone well, paid Sunday evening -- payment arrived in my bank account early Monday morning. So far I've only added BACS as a payment method to a few listings, depending on whether I remember to tick the box or not!

As it went so smoothly, can anyone see any reason why it wouldn't be a good idea to add it to all my other ads.?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    BACS has the advantage of being in your Bank Account without paying fees to Paypal and if there is any dispute they can't decide to give the money back, if they feel like it (something that is happening all the time on Etsy) plus Paypal is beginning to use Bots to make decisions, just like Etsy.
    The only problem is using your main bank account, not sure if the info makes you vulnerable to scammers - might be best to open a separate account to keep info separate.
    I use a Santander account only, for any sales (was very easy to open).

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31360)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yes, I am nervous about giving bank details to strangers, but Nationwide say it should not be a problem.

I had someone in Turkey ask to use BACS for payment, and I had to say it is only for UK, so he asked for my SWIFT details to pay, and I gave them, but pointed out it could cost around £25. Naturally I lost the sale, but it would have been good to have a low cost way of transferring money internationally.
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

@Pastime.

Just before I opened a Paypal account there were a few high profile hacks of banks, so I opened a Santander account specifically to link to paypal, no connection at all to any "real world" accounts, solely for internet buying and selling.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

@ billstamps.

So am I but I asked again yesterday if it was safe and if there was anything else I could do to make it more secure. Again they said "No" it's safe. But after having had it repeated so often, over so long that it's unwise to share details it does go against the grain.

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    @ billstamps.

So am I but I asked again yesterday if it was safe and if there was anything else I could do to make it more secure. Again they said "No" it's safe. But after having had it repeated so often, over so long that it's unwise to share details it does go against the grain.
    If you ever write a cheque you are giving your bank account details to whoever gets the cheque. I definitely think It is better to have a bank account which you only use for online payments.

@bill
    There used to be a fairly cheap way of transferring money to EU countries before the idiocy of Brexit. Wouldn't have helped with Turkey, though

Thread Information