eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: PayPal alternatives

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11857)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default PayPal alternatives

Well, I've also had problems with Paypal lately, which has served me well until now...

Did you know that they will charge £12 if a dispute goes against you as a seller! Obscene!

Story : I had a sale to a customer in Germany, and sent the item standard postage rate... he never received it and submitted a claim to Paypal... meantime it was returned to me with "address incomplete" ... so I put that in the report with an image of the returned packet stating that I would be happy to resend to an correct address.

Paypal continued to side with buyer, simply stating "the item was not received by the buyer" --- of course not! - reasons were ignored!! Doh! - but I resented paying £12 for the privilege of not being in the wrong here...

BE WARNED!

Are there any other online payment choices to use, I wonder?

Default Re: PayPal alternatives

Hi, £12 is disgusting. You should be able to appeal against that. Was the address different to PayPal, or did he send it to send by email.
    David.

View 20sent06's Feedback (+11857)
    All-About 20sent06
    View 20sent06's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dm6619david View Post
    Hi, £12 is disgusting. You should be able to appeal against that. Was the address different to PayPal, or did he send it to send by email.
    David.
    Yes, indeed... when I contacted Paypal by telephone, they confirmed that it was an automatic system that sides with the buyer! Whaaaa!! - but when she read my notes, she concurred that I was not to blame and refunded the £12 charge - hoorah for Humans! :-)

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 20sent06 View Post
    Yes, indeed... when I contacted Paypal by telephone, they confirmed that it was an automatic system that sides with the buyer! Whaaaa!! - but when she read my notes, she concurred that I was not to blame and refunded the £12 charge - hoorah for Humans! :-)

Well done. Just shows you should never just accept what these organisations say without fighting it!!

When I was down the Indian takeaway. Jay was telling me about PayPal regulations, all for the buyer. I don't like PayPal. Are going to resend the item?

I'm amazed that "Jay" could understand enough of the PP regulations to get that far, ( perhaps they went to Harvard Law School? ) Just reading their UA / LA / T&C updates is designed to give anyone a heaadache. Totally incomprehensible, completely opaque.

During the long, long, period when they "couldn't" get their SCA system to work reliably for anyone without a mobile phone, I couldn't work-out whether I was paying "Merchant" rates or not. So I asked here -- silence, I assume because no-one else knew what they were paying either.

Like @20Sent I never had a problem with PP -- until I did. Their "inability" to get SCA working, (although every other UK bank and company had no problems) while pushing Mobiles for everything on their site and their Forums' only advice being "Buy a Mobile" undermined any faith I had that they are either reliable or in any way interested in anything other than their own advantage.
    Last edited by theElench; 10th June 2022 at 06:15 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

My own websites use Stripe which also gives me the opportunity of using Klarna and Laybuy - apart from the initial startup, so far I've had no problems.

Yes, Stripe seems to be a lot of peoples next choice as an alternative. Does it work for non-business sellers or are they only interested in "Merchants"?? Are their fees competitive with PP? Are they accessable on a lap-top or another Mobile App. only set-up? Do many of your buyers use it?

I think it would be a very good idea for ebid to set up some competition to PP by integrating at least one more payment processor and preferably more than one.

I also think that, going by the number of views, potential buyers regularly look at my items here but prefer to stick with what they know, rather than buy from an unknown seller (still with relatively low FB after nearly 10 years, on a site that has its name blackened at every opportunity on obay. I've tried on several occasions to persuade would-be buyers that by using PP here they get the same buyer protction as on obay, so "No" I won't move my listings there so they can feel safer because of the Money Back Guarantee.

Despite low FB (and no movement on a Transaction Counter, despite the distrust of an unknown site by buyers, I've still managed to get sales here with increasing regularity. Possibly because buyers still have the familiarity of PP and its protection, I wonder if asking them to use another, possibly unknown to them, processor will be one ask to many? And I'll be back to selling one item a year. I feel that by integrating other payment methods the site will be demonstrating that it has confidence in alternatives to PP. Rather than my adding yet another unknown to my listings, possibly giving buyers another reason to steer clear of them.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Knowledge of the site is probably the main issue and although the site has been going since 1999 its still only known to a tiny % of the general public and resellers.

Feedback needs to auto added as a positive after say a month if buyers have not added any, this will help buyers trust the sellers more

They did have alternative payments in the past which is more than likely still in the FAQ!! We have been down this road many times though, asking for more payment options, Advertising like branded tape etc and well I gave up caring about it

You can sell things here 20-30% cheaper than Obay and still buyers will choose Obay because it's a known site, if this site was more known it would be 100 times more active

I do get sales all be it in very small numbers but the potential is still there to be a great site, It just needs kicked into action but the glaring issues with the site could use fixing first

I will ask Jay to night.I think this is a scam. Why send the wrong address, you know your address. Done it in the past and got away with it. Not a less trying out a new scam.
    David

Thread Information