eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Google Shopping.

Default Re: Google Shopping.

@pastimes. Good morning,

I checked "amethyst pool of light necklace" and yes, I can see it -- the second ad. on P.1 with a link on the ad. to "Ebid - pastime Vintage Gems". But no "Ebid - seller name" on the side-bar. Looking further (the first 3 pages of results) I found another ebid ad. for a different amethyst necklace from "1centjewelry" and also viewed that.

I then checked the ebid search for "amethyst necklace" and it gives 116 results (including your Pool of Light), from several different sellers.
    Then I checked GS for "Ebid - amethyst necklace". Quite a few ebid ads. from various sellers, the largest number from "1centjewelry", who is shown on the side-bar as "Ebid - 1centjewelry".

This search seems a perfect candidate to verify what I found with the "art deco glass" search I mentioned at the start of the thread. Ebid has a large(ish) number of listings, which seems to help. It also has one seller with a large(ish) number of ads. + several other sellers of the same type of item.

What I'm saying is that by searching GS regularly for "amethyst necklace" (2 - 3 times a week) for a while it will pull more ads. from its "hidden" ebid listings and start showing them on the results pages as it sees "interest" increasing.
    At some point the ebid ads. on GS search results will get to some tipping point and "Ebid - seller name" will appear on the side bar. The seller will (I think) be the one with the most "amethyst necklaces" for sale on ebid, but those with a few or only one, will also stand a good chance of being shown because of the limited pool of sellers. Especially to any buyer who ticks the side-bar box for ebid.

Having achieved that, it only takes a couple of "views" of a couple of the ebid ads. each week to keep ebid on the side-bar and a rotating selection of other ebid sellers on the first 3 pages of GS results.

"Ebid - theElench" is still on the A.D.Glass results for over a year now, some of my ads. are always to be seen on the first 3 pages and I'm sure this is where at least some of my sales come from.

I hope you, or other ebid sellers of amethyst necklaces will give it a try, verify what I've found and also get more sales by doing so. Another advantage I've found is a sort of "Ripple" effect.
    Within Art Deco Glass I have quite a few items by Bagley. If I search GS for "bagley glass" those results also show "Ebid - theElench" on the side-bar with several of my items on P.1. As does several other "related" searches such as "art deco glass vase".

Hopefully if what I suggest works for "Amethyst necklace" it will carry over to such searches as "amethyst pendant / earrings / crystals/ etc.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Another thought occurs to me. One of the first things that intrigued me when I started looking at GS was - Why was it that in A.D.Glass ebid was missing from the side-bar, when other smaller selling sites and even tiny independent web-sites, often with fewer relevant items, were shown?

Today on P.1 of their results 42 / 60 ads. (not counting the Sponsored strips at the top and bottom of the page) are for smaller sites, with just a scattering of ads. from obay, esty and amizon.

Looking at the GS search results for Amethyst Necklace I can see the same thing, 49 / 60 ads. are for smaller sites and independent web sites.

Could it be that GS is trying to show the widest selection it can? And all it takes for GS to include any site on P.1 is a certain, but unknown level of "interest" or clicks? If so, could it be that if that interest is shown by a few clicks, GS will bump the visibility of smaller sites, demoting the giants to do so?

Just a thought, without real evidence (yet), but if true ebid and its sellers could have an advantage over the huge sites if they are pushed down the results because GS wants to appeal to the widest range of buyers that it can. Which is why each site shown on the side-bar only gets one mention and why "Ebid" is (always?) associated with the seller with the largest number of items for sale in the results?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    Thanks for that - it does confirm your methods, hope other sellers will give it a try.

The only problem re: 1cent being seen in UK is the high cost of postage makes it impossible to buy from the US (plus the low duty threshold) - so must get all views from US not UK, we need to focus on UK sellers to try and improve visibility on UK eBid.
    Have you ever visited the US Forums (not sure how to do that) - perhaps there are helpful threads, since they have a much larger market?

Have just seen your 2nd post - that is a surprise, doesn't seem possible that G would choose smaller sites than large - needs some thought as to how that is happening, but it should bode well. Trouble is, there is a wide field on eBid so results scattered across GS searches in smaller numbers?
    Last edited by pastime; 18th December 2023 at 10:29 AM.

Good morning pastime,

I didn't know that there were US Boards, I thought that what we see in the UK are the boards for the whole of ebid??

More evidence that what I'm saying is at least partially correct.
    I've been busy with getting ready for Christmas and have neglected my regular viewing of ebid ads. for Art Deco Glass for a while. Yesterday "Ebid - theElench" had been relegated from the default Side-Bar and I had to click "More" to see it. So I viewed four of my ads. and today I'm back and visible to anyone searching for Art Deco Glass again on the default side-bar.

I searched GS again for "amethyst necklace" and your "Pool of Light" wasn't there. Again, giving a bit more evidence that newly listed items appear briefly, but then disappear again.

Yet another question that I don't know the answer to. Quite why "1centjewlry" is included in the results. Yes they do offer international postage and yes, they have most ads. for "Amethyst necklace" on ebid, but when I started regularly looking at GS I deliberately clicked on (and Saved) GS.uk (not GS.com). But to me the important thing is that anyone searching GS WILL see "Ebid - 1centjewelry" on the side-bar. The point of this is to get Ebid and its sellers [I]seen[I] on GS, in as many searches as possible. My ideas are here, it's up to the individual sellers to use them.

I've viewed all the ebid ads. for "amethyst necklace" on the first three pages again today, the sellers now need to start doing the same if they want to increase their ad's chances of being shown on the results P.1 and getting "Ebid - seller name" on the side-bar.

GS does seem to consistently have a large proportion of ads. from smaller sites on its first few pages, whatever I've searched for. Possibly to encourage them to pay for their ads.? Not many independent web-sites or even the smaller selling sites are going to pay to get their ads. on P.10 and only visible after ten solid pages of ads. from obay, esty and amizon.??

I agree there must be some "scattering". When I tick the "Ebid - theElench" box I might be shown (say) 50 of my items that are currently being shown on GS (out of about 250 on ebid). I can only assume that the other 200 aren't currently being shown and of the 50 that are, only 10 or 12 are being shown on the first 3 pages of results.

Possibly something else to look into? Now that GS has noticed that "Ebid - theElench" exists has it given me any better visibility for my far fewer ceramics ads. or non-Art Deco Glass ads.?? But that will have to wait 'til after Christmas.

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    I'm assuming that there must be a US board - we do have posts from US on here, but there must be more sellers that that, the US is a very large market?

Had a chance, when checking on Bing, to have a quick look at 1cent's listings - they run into the thousands (I've forgotten the figures) absolutely amazing, and no wonder they are on the sidebar. Clicked on 1 item (Agate pendant) the postage from US to UK is £39! Use to check out SueJools (lovely items), when she posted and everything had a similar postage cost - why is the US so expensive when we can post UK to US for £4.50ish? (that's without the stupid low duty of VAT plus RM charge, if over (I think) £15, on top).

Started to put down vinyl tiles in bathroom, and Sod's Law kicked in - now have cistern overflowing and water pools on floors, not sure if it is a cistern leak or condensation from cold water pipes. Unlikely to get any interest from any Plumber this side of Christmas, if ever, so will be focusing on trying to sort myself out this side of Christmas and return to searching after Christmas.

All the best, and Happy Christmas to all on eBid & thanks to eBid Towers!
    Marie.

Hi pastime,
    Perhaps one of the American regulars here can tell us? I can't remember any of them quoting something from a discussion on a US Board as relevant to one here?

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that your "Amethyst Pool of Light Necklace" can be seen again on GS after its brief appearance when first listed a few days ago.
    Admittedly I could only find it by ticking the "Ebid - 1centjewelery" box when searching for "ebid - amethyst necklace". Another GS oddity with this search. Although there are a few ebid sellers with over 100 amethyst necklace ads. only 2 or 3 show up in the "Ebid - amethyst necklace" search, but tick the side-bar box and many more appear.
    I suppose that's just another benefit of getting "Ebid - user name" on the side-bar. Have you found it in any other GS search results or on Bing?

Sorry to hear about your over-flowing cistern, have you tried bending the float-bulb down a little?

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    It doesn't have a float - it's a push-button flush with a Caroma B3300-MA Inlet Valve with no way of adjustment, that I can see. Did Google, but only found a You Tube replacing Washers for this unit. If anyone does know more about how to adjust - PLEASE let me know.

Have been checking Bing, but no sign of any eBid links. Perhaps you could try and see if Bing will pick-up on some of your Glass - not sure of the best way to do that. Search eBid on Bing and click on items? It does seem knee-deep in Etsy links, not sure how that has come about?

I didn't realise the sidebar allowed a search of eBid - good to know. I can't see me ever appearing there because I don't have a solid stock of items in one category, so unlikely to ever be picked up.
    Oh well, back to the bathroom (complete upheaval in there) - All the best,
    Marie.

Sorry I can't be much help with the cistern. If yours is like the one I had in my previous flat which had some sort of syphon, once the unit begins to leak the whole syphon unit has to be replaced.

Sorry again, but I'd rather not go anywhere near Bing because of MS's invasive tendencies and what it might replacing on my lap-top.

The side-bar doesn't allow a "search" of ebid but, for reasons unknown, GS always seems to use the format of "Ebid - theElench" or "Ebid - pastime vintage gems". But although there will be a lot more of my listings shown if I tick the side-bar box, it will also show similar items from other ebid sellers. If you look at the earlier pages of the thread I gave the names of other ebid sellers who were shown under the "Ebid - theElench" search.

Even if you don't have enough ads. in one category to get onto the side-bar, getting any ebid sellers name on it will also get more ebid sellers a bit more visibility on their coat tails. E.g. yesterday, ticking the "Ebid - 1centjewelery" box allowed me to see your "Pool of Light" necklace again, with a link to Ebid -- your shop and your ad. and you were not the only other ebid seller shown there selling Amethyst necklaces.

It seems to me that there isn't any reason why ebid can't get to be shown on the side-bar of any search of GS where ebid has a reasonable number of listings. I'm on one with about 200 ads. for glass. I've mentioned other sellers I've found on search side-bars when searching GS for other items. Every one of them carries other sellers names with them.

Getting ebid and its sellers more visibility on GS takes nothing more than a bit of time and clicking. The more often it's seen the more it will be clicked on hopefully becoming a self-sustaining process.

Yeh it would be good if the site got more visibility but the traffic numbers have been not so good, rankings have gone down and the account plan changes made no sense.
    If I remember correctly they changed the minimum value of a listing to get seen on GS and I'm sure that didn't help

GS is a user to user based system based on search behaviour, behaviour over time etc, so if you search for specific items, sellers or sites more often google will add it to more of the facet-lists which are filters, Ebid is rarely seen because few people use EBID in their searches, I see theElench items and on the left bar because I was testing the search using your items, so when I use art deco glass more of yours will come up but that's only for me
    More and more companies are putting money into googles advertising system and since that is money based products from this site will continue to be seen less and less unless your in a less common category

The car sticker idea was good and it would be nice if someone continued that with Poly bags, Tape etc because that is the only way the site will get see activity

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    Thanks for your help.
    Have been viewing Etsy's Forum, and one thread: 'What's Wrong With Etsy' - is getting slammed by fed-up sellers, there is so much wrong it's hard to know where to start.

On another thread seller sent tracked/signed item (over £250) showing delivery, buyer opened a 'not delivered' case and was immediately refunded by Etsy, from seller's account, without contacting him and seeing proof of delivery - this is happening all the time (if a sale is over £250 there is no protection) - I don't think it can be legal for Etsy to do this when proof is available and they are treating sellers fund as their own. They also are informing buyer's they can open a case when an item is a day late (even if it shows it is being delivered the next day), lots of You Tube pages helping to advertise how easy it is to get the item for free.

Sellers' can not work with these insane rules and I can't see Etsy lasting much longer - just wish some of those sellers would give eBid a try, as mentioned, the more items that show in GS would also give more visibility to this site.

Thread Information