Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Shopping.

Default Re: Google Shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by BordersBargains View Post
    The majority are made up from pay for rankings
    It doesn't surprise me at all that you say that, all the "search" corporations have become immensely rich by selling visibility. But surely if placement is just down to money the three biggest sites would completely dominate every search? With ebid relegated to pages so low in the results that no-one would ever find items listed on the site.

Yet ebid sellers can find some of their items and in my case, I can regularly find them on the first 10 pages of results.

I don't doubt that you're right that "money talks", have you got any insights into why those with the biggest purses don't entirely drown out those with less?

The 3 big sites also have the majority of listings but ebid does get some of its listings noticed and so do even smaller, standalone, websites.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

View madelaine's Feedback (+5872)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

I suspect that Google shopping has to supply something more than just paid for ads - otherwise the public will just treat it like any other ad site - we are all used to ignoring the ads around what we are actually looking for.

Like Elench, I find that my items continue to appear - especially if I make the search precise. This has resulted, for example, in a new customer who only wanted to buy one particular knitting pattern - it needed to be an exact copy of the one that had just been wrecked by a tea spill. Once such a person has found eBid, they may return for other items.
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    I suspect that Google shopping has to supply something more than just paid for ads - otherwise the public will just treat it like any other ad site - we are all used to ignoring the ads around what we are actually looking for.

Like Elench, I find that my items continue to appear - especially if I make the search precise. This has resulted, for example, in a new customer who only wanted to buy one particular knitting pattern - it needed to be an exact copy of the one that had just been wrecked by a tea spill. Once such a person has found eBid, they may return for other items.
    I looked on Google last week and could not find any of my patterns although I did see yours.

I have lots of items I could list but have just lost heart in doing so because I feel it is a waste of time photographing and listing when I can spend my time doing other mundane tasks.😐😐

@Madelaine
    @yellerbelly

I searched for "knitting patterns UK" as GS suggested this when I searched for just "knitting patterns".
    Ebid wasn't shown in the Seller List and in the first 9 pages of results there wasn't a single result from ebid! There was a mixture of results from etsy, obay, amazon and plenty of other sellers without those site names attached.

I then tried searching for "ebid knitting patterns UK". Still no "Ebid" on the Seller List but it changed the results and I found 2, 5, 3 and 2 results from ebid on the first 4 pages of results. Almost all the other results were from etsy.

On ebid there are 5804 results for "knitting patterns", far more than 2 - 300 results for "Art Deco Glass" on ebid. As always, today I can find my items in that category scattered through the first few pages of results. So why are the ebid knitting pattern ads. so poorly represented?

My first thought is, are either of you listing your patterns on etsy as well as on ebid??

The tip I acted on from a previous thread about GS was Make your titles different on the two sites because GS will show the larger site's ad. and reject the ebid ad. as a duplicate if they are identical.

Could it be that your patterns are shown as results from etsy and the ebid version ignored? If so perhaps change a few of the titles and see if they then appear as Ebid ads., instead of etsy ads.

This did seem to make a difference for me. I would prefer to sell items on ebid as they charge me less in fees, so my "better" title is used on ebid. The re-arranged version, which might not read so well, is used on obay and whereas I can always find at least some of my ebid ads. on GS, I've yet to find any of my obay ads.
    Last edited by theElench; 15th October 2022 at 09:10 AM.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

Forum Master
    View tony41's Feedback (+10028)
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

I have a memory of a post which I can't find that items were not listed in Google Shopping if they were priced under £2.50. In the past eBid did not upload listings into Google Shopping if they were priced under £1.00. Whether this new higher limit (if my memory is correct) is a decision by eBid or Google I don't know but it might be a reason why the Art Deco Glass appears in google shopping and Knitting Patterns do not.
    Last edited by tony41; 16th October 2022 at 11:44 AM.

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench, don't no about Madelaine but I do not list anywhere else so no chance of duplicate listings, as for pricing I spotted some patterns less than £2.00 listed on google shopping, don't know if any of my other items are visible on Google shopping, but I couldn't find anything.

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yellerbelly View Post
    Hi Elench, don't no about Madelaine but I do not list anywhere else so no chance of duplicate listings, as for pricing I spotted some patterns less than £2.00 listed on google shopping, don't know if any of my other items are visible on Google shopping, but I couldn't find anything.
    The comments about pricing were mine.
    Checking eBid FAQs I have found a statement that eBid will only upload items with a BuyNow price of £2.50 and over. It is therefore obvious that any items on Google shopping which are priced at under £2.50 have not been uploaded by eBid. I had a quick look at your items and saw that most were priced under £2.50 so you cannot expect to find them on Google Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Checking eBid FAQs I have found a statement that eBid will only upload items with a BuyNow price of £2.50 and over. It is therefore obvious that any items on Google shopping which are priced at under £2.50 have not been uploaded by eBid. I had a quick look at your items and saw that most were priced under £2.50 so you cannot expect to find them on Google Shopping
    It could be higher now since they rarely update their FAQ

Forum Master
    All-About tony41
    View tony41's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BordersBargains View Post
    It could be higher now since they rarely update their FAQ

I think that the relevant section has been revised recently. Apart from the change in the lower limit for uploading to Google Shopping, the section uses the new names of membership categories.

Quote Originally Posted by tony41 View Post
    Now that you mention it, I do have a vague memory of seeing an increased price for items to qualify for uploading a while back. I too sometimes check something I'm not sure about by looking at the FAQs, but doesn't this show a need for either a pinned thread or a GS section in the Forum? Not everyone will think to look at the FAQs, more will look on the Forums first? Whatever I vaguely remember, I didn't look it up in the FAQs, I saw it mentioned somewhere here. Where is that useful bit of info. now to be seen on the Forum? Probably like all the other earlier discussions, lost along with any other useful insights they had.

Thread Information