Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Google Shopping.

Default Re: Google Shopping.

Still the same results as before, none of your listings visible unless I search for "Marvel Comics Ebid". Did you know that some of your photos are sideways?
    One of your "competitors" is well represented and does get a few listings seen when searching without the "ebid".

I'll keep looking but if getting more listings seen and a mention on the side-bar is down to interest / views, who knows how many views it might take in a category much more popular than glass?
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Last night I did the same as before but can see, this morning that nothing has changed(yet?). Did you know that some of your listings have the photo on the search results page shown on their side?

One of your competitors is shown on the side-bar in the "Marvel comics ebid" search. If who is shown is just down to the number of views, what I found quite easy in a niche category, might be far more difficult in a more popular category where there is more activity?

But I will keep viewing regularly to see if my "interest" does make any difference.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    Last night I did the same as before but can see, this morning that nothing has changed(yet?). Did you know that some of your listings have the photo on the search results page shown on their side?

One of your competitors is shown on the side-bar in the "Marvel comics ebid" search. If who is shown is just down to the number of views, what I found quite easy in a niche category, might be far more difficult in a more popular category where there is more activity?

But I will keep viewing regularly to see if my "interest" does make any difference.
    Thanks for looking, but you don't need to.
    And no, did not know some of my images are side-view instead of how they should be. Gonna guess that's a glitch between eBid and Google as they are the correct way round when I post the listing on here.
    BigKidsAttic - Action Figure Adoption Agency (Fee's Appy), and supplier of collectible comics.

An update on what I see when looking at my ebid listings on GS by searching for "Art Deco Glass".

"Ebid - theElench" has now been visible on the "Sites" side bar since I started this thread, back in September '22 -- about 30 weeks?

I've been able to see between 6 and 11 of my items on pages 1 and 2 of the results, on every occasion that I looked, sometimes up to 40 if I'm given a "Sponsored" ribbon at the top of the page.

The oldest I found was first listed on ebid on 27/6/16, with a mix of listings from every year since. Most from between '17 and '20, with less of those first listed in '21 and '22 and with only one item that I've listed in '23, although I've listed something new almost every week this year.

Ticking the "Ebid - theElench" box usually gets me a "Sponsored" ribbon at the top or bottom of the page with 35 - 40 of my items shown and about a page and a half of my listings on ebid.

PLUS. At the bottom of the second page, a selection of other ebid sellers who either have listings in Art Deco Glass or closely related categories.
    So far I've been shown items from:

Assorted Collectables.
    Biffos Bits and Bobs.
    Lotus Elise.
    Becky's Hoard Pottery.
    Alison DCB Store.
    Becky's Hoard Brocante.
    Richard Bedford.
    Dave Vision Emporium.

I sold my 10th item on ebid this year on 8th of May, my best start to any year so far on ebid and if sales continue in a similar vein through the rest of the year, putting me on track for another year-on-year increase.

Quite a good return for just viewing a few of my listings on GS, two or three times a week IMO, -- increased visibility for my listings, ebid as a site and a few other ebid sellers.

Kirton In Lindsey, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    View yellerbelly's Feedback (+97)
    All-About yellerbelly
    View yellerbelly's Listings
    Forum Posts

Well it looks like I will have to change my name from Maria's Miscellany to something else because if I search for my shop it does not come up or it brings someone else up with Maria's Miscellany, I have had the name from setting up my shop some years ago and found no one with that name before so any suggestions would be welcome. Probably that is the reason for not being able to find my stuff.

I've never tried searching GS for a shop. I don't have an ebid shop, so searched for my listings by searching for product name -- Art Deco Glass.

I must admit that when opening GS Home Page and it says "What are you looking for", I assumed they meant products too.

I just searched for your Bendix Dryer Advert and found it first time. First ad. on P.1 of the results, out of three pages and shown as being listed on ebid.

I know very little about SEO either, apart from using the key-words I think / hope buyers might use when searching for a product. If buyers haven't even heard of ebid, how will they search for your shop here, on GS?

Part of the reason for starting the thread was to try to get the ebid site name visible on the "Sites" side-bar. That GS decided to put "Ebid - theElench" there was unexpected, but a bonus.

Why not try doing what I did with Art Deco Glass with one of your own categories with a few more listings.

Search for the product, view a few of your ebid listings regularly and see if you can get "Ebid - Maria's Miscellany" to appear on the side-bar?
    The more sellers who try and succeed, the more visible ebid and its sellers become on GS??

I had a quick look for your Pink Depression Glass bowl by searching for "Pink Depression Glass". Found it on P.1 of the results with the seller named as "Ebid - Maria's Miscellany"

Your 3 Depression Glass Plates / Saucers by searching for "Depression Glass Plates" and again on P.1 of the results with "Ebid - Maria's Miscellany".

As the Seller side bar on both searches only showed obay and esty I hope you won't mind if I try to get "Ebid - Maria's Miscellany" to be shown there?

Hopefully, if that happens, anyone ticking the box will be shown your other listings in the Depression Glass category and some from other ebid sellers?

yep seeing it also and one of yours Elench

Do the general public us the words Art Deco Glass a lot?

E*sy sure have got a foothold on GS

Good morning. Do you mean you're still seeing "Ebid - theElench" on the side bar, or Maria's Miscellany's items??

Have to say I'm not sure why my Bernsdorf item was visible in the results for "Depression glass" -- I don't use "Depession" as a key-word in the title or anywhere in the description. The only connection is "pink glass" - a bit of a stretch IMO. Especially as I've listed several items with Depression Glass in the title, that GS could have shown, perhaps they are, but on lower pages.

My guess (and it is a only a guess) is that a lot of buyers are happily buying pieces of glass without knowing what its origins are, they just like what they see. (I've sold a Walther vase on ebid to America, where they seem to use "Depression Glass" instead of "Art Deco Glass" for more or less the same time period. The buyer didn't know it was from the inter-war period, Walther (made in Germany), or even collectable. They just liked it.)

I started buying Art Deco furniture, clocks, crockery and glass because I loved the shapes and colours, without knowing it was Art Deco. I probably found out later, from a dealer, that it had a name.

Dealers, collectors and art historians need to categorise different styles and eras, so these have carried over (and been popularised?) by on-line selling sites? So I title most of my listings with -- Art Deco, makers name, colour, glass, item type, + anything else distinctive. It seems to cover everything(?) a buyer might search for. (or so I hope)

When I've tried searching for "Art Deco Glassware" I've found that the results include a lot of utilitarian and functional glass -- bottles and jars, various kitchen, medical or scientific items, diluting the results for the decorative items I buy or sell. Which is why I find it so absurd that on ebid almost all the decorative glass sub-cats. are hidden under "Glassware". But despite that disadvantage buyers still find my items.

I remember the first time I looked at e*sy, as always using the "Art Deco Glass" search. There were only a few pages of results with a few hundred items. They overtook obay in listing numbers a few years after that and I'd guess that now they have more items in GS results than any other site.

Gleaned from a discussion elsewhere about item photos and which colour background is best. Someone quoted the following from Google.

"Googles algorithms are designed to recognise images with white backgrounds as product images. This means that if you have a product image with a white background it is more likely to appear in Google Shopping product search results"

It might be worth a try as it's quoted from google itself but I must say, looking at GS results, white backgrounds don't seem to be given much preference. There are plenty of white, other plain colours and, it seems, just as many that are not white or plain at all. Furniture, wall-paper, gardens etc., all mixed together.

My backgrounds are mostly white / off-white or plain grey. I can always find some of them on GS, often on P.1 but scattered in between all the rest.

Thread Information