eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very precise search leading to listings not being seen?

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Very precise search leading to listings not being seen?

Hi,
    Will be listing some Gold and Silver charms.

Searched using 9 ct - nothing showing. Searched: 9 ct K 375 - nothing showing. 9 carat K 375 - still nothing.
    I had already searched for just 'Gold charms' and selected 'Fine Jewellery', leading to several pages that showed gold-plated chains/pendants (should gold-plated items appear in 'Fine Jewellery')?
    In that general sale, some 9ct items did come up.
    So searched for 9ct charms only, and did get all the items showing plus additional listings.

It's a bit of a worry that the difference of a space: 9 ct or 9ct, results in not showing in a search - what is the best way to be seen, is their only one specific term that must be used?
    I assume that Google will accept all variations, if used?

How many other types of searches does this affect?

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Very precise search leading to listings not being seen?

No response to my post - any ideas as to how to be seen at all times?

Searched 925 listings yesterday - a couple of 9ct items shown (but they didn't show on my previous 9 carat search). How can this happen, is it entering something wrongly when creating a listing?

I've been hanging back hoping someone who knows something about selling gold would answer your questions, but as no-one has.

I found the following.

Searching on Google Shopping for "9 ct gold charms" with or without " - ebid" tacked onto the end, I found only one item from ebid on the first three pages of results. That one example had "9ct" in the title.

Searching for "9 carat gold charms", I found only one title with the word "carat".

Google seems to like "9ct" as all the results no matter which way I searched, except the one with "carat" were for 9ct, 10ct, 12ct etc.

So if you're mainly interested on your listings being accepted by GS, I'd go with "9ct".

Having said that, when I've had similar situations when listing glass (which of two equally 'correct' sub-cats. should I list in), I've put some in each to see which sells more / quicker.

Hope this helps, but do consider that I've never sold anything in gold categories.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thanks Elench, it not so much gold/silver (it's a small area to check on) as to how search on here works.

Yesterday I searched '375' and it brought up all sorts, including 3.75 size mentioned in the title. It also brought up a lot more gold jewellery that wasn't showing elsewhere, including a white gold necklace I also have listed that didn't show up in the 9ct/9 ct/9 carat etc.

Am trying to work out how the search function works re title word order and or key words, and whether items in other categories are also missing in some searches - there is little point in my transferring listings from elsewhere, if they are not going to show in searches. I have a 9 ct open locket watch fob listed - searched 'watch fob' and it didn't show (even though it's listed in watches/watch fob section). Searched 'open locket' and it showed along with one other open locket - both should show, why isn't that happening?

On the bay and etsy, sellers are always checking to see if they can be seen or if they are being hidden/capped by the site they are paying to be seen on - I never thought that there was any need to check and see if all listing are showing on eBid.
    Is there a guide to the search function and the best keyword/word order and the best way to be seen in searches?

View JanetB's Feedback (+1175)
    All-About JanetB
    View JanetB's Listings
    Forum Posts

In the Jewelry & Watches category I typed: 9ct gold in the search and got this page:
    https://www.ebid.net/us/perl/main.cg...ear_me=&pcode=

Sorry, I misunderstood the question.

When I started looking at GS someone said that they understood that how the google search engine works is probably a closely guarded secret, presumably how ebids engine works is also a secret and for the same reasons. To stop sellers manipulating the results to favour themselves.

So we all try to "optimise" our listings by using what we hope are "strong" key-words, those that are most likely(we hope)to be used by buyers when searching. I think that, for my listings, the strongest words are: Art Deco. Name of manufacturer. Glass and its colour. Item type.

So a typical listing would start with "Art Deco Bagley Blue Glass Vase". Followed by "weaker" words like Name or Number of the design + anything else that's distinctive that a buyer might put in the search box. I would expect to find my vase in results if I search for any of the first six words, individually or in combination and have done so in the past.

I don't understand the ebid search, probably only the designers do? I've asked on the Website Suggestions forum why on the Home Page "Browse x, xxx, xxx items on Ebid" list of categories under "Pottery, Porcelain & Glass" the first two have lists of 3rd level sub-categories but Glass stops at the 2nd level and if some 3rd level sub-cats can be added to show buyers there are such items for sale?

No reply and nothing added but it does make it look like there is no Date Lined glass on ebid at first glance. God only knows what buyers must think when they see negative numbers after the three sub-cats. that are shown.

I also remember seeing other sellers commenting that there is something wrong in the way knitting patterns are shown in craft supplies or hand-made categories (I don't remember exactly why they were not happy). So yes there are some problems in other categories, whether they lead to items missing in search results, only those who sell in those areas can know.

I would guess that all search engines throw-up anomalies and gaps, sometimes just by how sellers use them and how used buyers are to them. (It's why I struggle on obay to get their search to allow me to list a Trinket Bowl as a Collectable (where it will sell), rather than as Tableware (where it won't).

I think someone who has been selling in the jewellery categories for some time and with some success is more likely to be able to help you, based on their experience of how they actually work. Or perhaps, if you're lucky, Gazza might reply with some help. Your questions can really only be answered by experience, rather than my own vague theories. Sorry I can't be more help.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    In the Jewelry & Watches category I typed: 9ct gold in the search and got this page:
    https://www.ebid.net/us/perl/main.cg...ear_me=&pcode=
    Hi Janet,
    Thanks for that - I've just tried it and got the same as you, which is reassuring that items can be seen.
    I also tried the original search on 9ct gold charms, and didn't get the the page of gold-plated items when selecting 'fine jewellery' as I did last time.

But it does seem this search worked because of using '9ct' only - will check out other terms: 9 ct/carat, K and 375. It does look as though listing needs 9ct in title and other terms are more scattered in results.
    Thanks for your help.
    Marie.

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Elench,
    Thanks for your help - if there are 'correct' terms that should be used in searches then it would help to be aware of them, when listing.

The other problem is, newcomers to eBid, might not use the exact term when searching and could miss seeing an item for sale (as I did when searching using '9 ct' only)
    But I will check it out some more in case I'm mistaken.
    Many thanks,
    Marie.

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pastime View Post
    Hi,
    Will be listing some Gold and Silver charms.

Searched using 9 ct - nothing showing. Searched: 9 ct K 375 - nothing showing. 9 carat K 375 - still nothing.
    I had already searched for just 'Gold charms' and selected 'Fine Jewellery', leading to several pages that showed gold-plated chains/pendants (should gold-plated items appear in 'Fine Jewellery')?
    In that general sale, some 9ct items did come up.
    So searched for 9ct charms only, and did get all the items showing plus additional listings.

It's a bit of a worry that the difference of a space: 9 ct or 9ct, results in not showing in a search - what is the best way to be seen, is their only one specific term that must be used?
    I assume that Google will accept all variations, if used?

How many other types of searches does this affect?
    It is normal for searches to be specific about spaces. "£ 3" searches for listing with separated £ and 3 symbols, and £3 does not comply.
    Plurals can be different, charm and charms usually return the same results.
    Abbreviations also a problem as a search for 9ct would not return listings for 9carat
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for that information. Is it your understanding that this applies to Google - thought that Google also searches info in the description when finding results and showing them?

Also, it must be in any platform's interest to link various, often used terms, when showing what items are for sale, otherwise they are restricting sales for their platform?

Thread Information