eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very precise search leading to listings not being seen?

Stratford, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View billsstamps's Feedback (+31364)
    All-About billsstamps
    View billsstamps's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Very precise search leading to listings not being seen?

Quote Originally Posted by pastime View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Thanks for that information. Is it your understanding that this applies to Google - thought that Google also searches info in the description when finding results and showing them?

Also, it must be in any platform's interest to link various, often used terms, when showing what items are for sale, otherwise they are restricting sales for their platform?
    It is the boolean algebra behind the search.
    If "9ct" is in the search then show the result. OK.
    But if you wanted the search also to show "9 ct", then you need the search engine to disregard every single space in every search, which would be hopeless.
    Ebid can also search in description as well as title. there is a choice on the drop-down menu, so savvy Ebidders might have all of 9ct and 9 ct and 9 carat in their description
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

around 50000 stamps listed, based in London

View pastime's Feedback (+197)
    All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billsstamps View Post
    It is the boolean algebra behind the search.
    If "9ct" is in the search then show the result. OK.
    But if you wanted the search also to show "9 ct", then you need the search engine to disregard every single space in every search, which would be hopeless.
    Ebid can also search in description as well as title. there is a choice on the drop-down menu, so savvy Ebidders might have all of 9ct and 9 ct and 9 carat in their description
    Crumbs, who knew! I understand your point about spaces being impossible - but what do you mean about the drop down menu, where is it, in the listing form? And are you saying that we can list the same listing in different sections to appear in all searches?

Does this explain why my 9ct watch fob doesn't show in 'watch fob' searches but does show in an 'open locket' search - how do I incorporate both?
    Thanks for any help,
    Marie.

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sorry, Bill - I shouldn't have asked you any more questions at this time of night, you are probably trying to get your evening meal together.
    Will check in tomorrow and hope you are available.
    Many thanks,
    Marie.

All-About billsstamps
    Forum Posts

Crumbs, who knew! I understand your point about spaces being impossible - but what do you mean about the drop down menu, where is it, in the listing form? And are you saying that we can list the same listing in different sections to appear in all searches?

Does this explain why my 9ct watch fob doesn't show in 'watch fob' searches but does show in an 'open locket' search - how do I incorporate both?
    Thanks for any help,
    Marie.
    I think I am mistaken about general description searches, it looks like the "description" drop down is only available on your own listings
    Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  24.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

When I first saw the drop-down I thought it meant that the ebid search would look for all the listed criteria for whatever the buyer typed in the search box and that the seller was given the choice of which to search for the sake of convenience.

e.g if I had one store for vases and another bowls, by selecting "ebid store" if I was looking for a particular vase listing the search would ignore my 'bowls' store.

Same with "title" and "title and description". My key words are in the title, the description adds nothing new, just more details. So if I had 10,000 items to search through, it would be quicker to just search through the titles rather than title and description.???
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

http://uk.ebid.net/users/theElench

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for that information. Is it your understanding that this applies to Google - thought that Google also searches info in the description when finding results and showing them?

Also, it must be in any platform's interest to link various, often used terms, when showing what items are for sale, otherwise they are restricting sales for their platform?
    It's my understanding that google does search both the title and description and have thought that one reason for this was to prevent "key word spamming". On obay, at one time, my searches for A.D.Glass were flooded by brand new Far Eastern "Art Deco Style" glass jewellery with many variations in the title, but all with the exact same description.
    ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ---------- * ----------

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your reply, yes, I've only used that drop down for own listings and is very useful when wanting to edit a listing.

Do you have any thoughts as to why a listing I have, which is in the sub category 'watch fob' - doesn't show when searching 'watch fob', but does show when using 'open locket' (and not connected to watch fob listings)?
    Thanks for any help,
    Marie.

All-About pastime
    View pastime's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theElench View Post
    It's my understanding that google does search both the title and description and have thought that one reason for this was to prevent "key word spamming". On obay, at one time, my searches for A.D.Glass were flooded by brand new Far Eastern "Art Deco Style" glass jewellery with many variations in the title, but all with the exact same description.
    Hi Elench,
    Yes, a good point, I'd forgotten that Google checks for that and probably, other things as well.

All-About billsstamps
    Forum Posts

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for your reply, yes, I've only used that drop down for own listings and is very useful when wanting to edit a listing.

Do you have any thoughts as to why a listing I have, which is in the sub category 'watch fob' - doesn't show when searching 'watch fob', but does show when using 'open locket' (and not connected to watch fob listings)?
    Thanks for any help,
    Marie.
    First thought is that sub category is not a description, so sub category wording would need to be included in description
    Rev Dr Bill Hopkinson,
    Retired professor

BillsStamps

I agree with Bill, there is no mention of "fob" or "chain" in the title.

Going back to my post #6, "Glass" is one of the 'strong' key words, leave it out of the title and my example won't appear in the results of the Date lined glass - 1910 - 1939 Art Deco, but will be seen in searches for "Art Deco" and "Vases"

If I may make a suggestion, to me the words that buyers would use to search with would be (in order of 'strength') 9ct gold. watch. chain. fob. Followed by as many as there are room for of the 'weaker' words like open locket. miniature water colours. Edwardian. hallmark.

The title doesn't have to be in good English, logical or make sense. It's ALL about guessing which words a buyer will put in the search box. Would someone looking for a fob for a watch chain start with "Edwardian"? I think it's more likely they would start with "9ct Gold", followed by some or all of watch, chain, or fob. The more words you can get in the title, particularly the first few words of the title, that they will type in the search box, the better.

By re-arranging your title a bit you can get your item seen in multiple searches.
    Last edited by theElench; 14th July 2023 at 07:26 AM.

Thread Information