Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Postage and packaging on some games

Forum Saint
    View _Nuts_'s Feedback (+445)
    All-About _Nuts_
    View _Nuts_'s Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Postage and packaging on some games

Thanks f3speech for the tip it will come in usefull at times as most of the time i try to recycle but now and again i have to buy new bags etc ....Been looking at the items in the packaging section and working out the prices and it seems a great bargain as some of the large jiffys are nearly a £1 each and they selling 100 (i think ) for £22 (if i remember right ) which i think is a great bargain :wink:

How many times have you emailed to ask why the postage is so high.

Back comes the reply:-
    Postage, packaging, time wrapping parcel, petrol to the post office.

And that is from hobby sellers, clearing the attic.

I usually undercharge for postage, mainly because I only weigh the item and not the packaging.
    Who cares, buyer is happy, and I am having fun.

I am virtually house bound, so this keeps me occupied.
    I manage to get parcels to the post office using a shopping trolley.

View 2steps's Feedback (+525)
    All-About 2steps
    View 2steps's Listings
    Forum Posts

I recycle as much packaging as I can and actually buy very little. I weigh all my own parcels unpack and then add 10p - 20p to cover the extra weight of the packaging and things like cellotape and staples (depending on what that is) as I sell a lot of simular items I've got to know what they cost. I also add 50p (paypal charge) to the p&p as I find that easier as I can tell non paypal users to deduct it before paying. I used to ask for that to be added to final cost but so many buyers would pay without doing so, it just got annoying.
    I don't charge more than I have too for packing as I don't think it's right and I dislike it. I won't buy an item if the postage is clearly been upped to make the seller extra money.

I always quote postage a little higher than the normal 2nd/1st class generally to the nearest 50p and via parcel force to the nearest kilo rate.

It costs to keep envelopes padded or otherwise. Sellotape to ensure envelopes are sealed perfectly........and any bubble wrap is secured.....along with the cost of the bubble wrap. As well as aquiring boxes if applicable from supermarkets. I don`t sell a lot so I don`t keep a supply of spare/re-used paddedenvelopes etc.

I quote in my auctions cost of post + packing is XYZ for first recorded or Parcel Force 48...so both have insurance. Also that I can proove that the item(s) has been sent and that someone signs for it.....so I know it has arrived. If for some reason it hasn`t we can claim on the insurance.

I also give the buyer a choice if they want any other way of having the item delivered.....but at their own risk.

But I do agree with some extreme costs if no explanation is given.

Prime example I was looking at an E-bay auction a short time ago for an X-Box game...postage and packaging £6 :shock:

You can always check via the Post Office web site for rates for parcels & letters etc so you can make a reasonably informed decision on the sellers rates.

www.royalmail.com

No game should cost over £2.00 for delivery, I always charge £1.50 delivery on all my games auctions for Royal Mail Recorded Delivery.

I agree, It seems fairly common on ebay too.

I personally think £1.50 - £2.00 is fair (unless it's quite heavy) and that's what I try to stick to.

Forum Lurker
    View thorpepie's Feedback (+107)
    All-About thorpepie
    View thorpepie's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thats all very well but for new items it is different.

one of my suppliers charges a flat rate of £7 p+p and whilst i try and include as mcuh of this as possible in my auction costs, the postage will still be higher than average.

anyway - my main point is that no-one should refuse to buy if the postage cost is high as long as you are still getting a good deal

I have to agree with thorpepie. As a seller I try to absorb as much of the overheads in the item price, but boxes, bubble wrap, tape and any other items used for packaging cost money, that's why the cost is listed as postage and packaging and not just postage. To be honest, unless the game is unusually heavy (like SOCOM 2 with headset etc.) then £2 is about the max. that a game seller should charge.
    I sell PS2,Xbox,GBA,DS, PSP (imports), GCUbe and PC games. I never charge over £2 for posting a game.

Quote Originally Posted by _Nuts_
    I was looking at a playstation game today and it was on £4 and the postage was £5 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I could get it cheaper uptown than that total :wink:
    _Nuts_ I was interested in your comments. I didn't appreciate that the postage cost was such an issue until reading your thread. Good on you for raising the issue. I have responded to the thread earlier but I just wanted you all to know that I have an on line site also that provides FREE P&P for games at www.numbthumbs.com. I still sell on eBid and Eb*y, so I hope eBid don't mind me mentioning this on this forum!

Bolton, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
    View hobsdv's Feedback (+24)
    All-About hobsdv
    View hobsdv's Listings
    Forum Posts

All my ps2,xbox,gameboy and game cube games are only £1.50 first class
    and pc software £2 first class take a look not got the game your looking for just ask
    Come visit my new dropshipping site free to join start earning today with no outlay
    www.hobsonschoice.weblodge.net

Come visit my new forum

Thread Information