Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How To Choose A Tarot Deck

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brontebooks
    Tarot cards are powerful and this power needs to be used in a circumspect way. Our choice of cards depends on many things but you really need to trust your own intuition. I would say that the first thing any new reader needs to do is ask themselves a number of question: the first of which is are you serious about this medium for looking into the future. Its not a fun thing and yet many people start by feeling this fun, and it can be fun until you reach the point of moving beyond the light. The second question is about,"who am I" in terms of ones own history and belonging or orgin. Who we are , what we are, will give a new reader a basis to move forward. There are other questions but enough said now - if any one would like my paper on this please let me know -Bob Brontebooks
    Moving beyond the light as a reader, I never see nor apply that in relation to Tarot, Metaphysical & Spiritual yes.
    Perhaps you could enlighten me, I'm always willing to learn many different perspectives.

The second question is about,"who am I" in terms of ones own history and belonging or orgin.

Bit deep that, I think that we sometimes get too tied up in the ritual and "doing things right" and forget that Tarot readings should be a relaxing, albeit enlightening experience. The ones I had were.

quote "You shall become aware, through daily practice, that what you imagine to be your self, is concocted from beliefs put into you by others, and is not your self at all." Think about it.

Forum Newbie
    View Brontebooks's Feedback (+41)
    All-About Brontebooks
    View Brontebooks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Post Tarot has symbolic power

As an experienced reader and yes, you are correct medium the use of the term you recognise as fitting one approach is used in this context because many people use Tarot for fun, they make the usual jokes but after a while begin to see that there is power here which cannot be explained in empirical terms. They have two ways to deal with this either run away and try something new or take the power and endeavour to use it. Tarot in its present form has been around in Europe for 600 years but there is evidence that whilst the modern concept stems from this time it actually predates it to about the birth of Christ. Within Tarot are forces of evil as well as forces of good. This juxapostion was well known to early readers therefore they were aware that understanding and using this inherent power was paramount to allowing the evil element to go only so far and had stratigies for its control. Beyond the light refers to this state.

Forum Newbie
    View Brontebooks's Feedback (+41)
    All-About Brontebooks
    View Brontebooks's Listings
    Forum Posts

Post reply to altogethernow123

Yes you are correct our " self " is made up of all the significant others in our life -this was seen in the 1920s by G. H. Mead -(Self & Society) but what you also need to accept is that much of our personality is genic -IQ / Traits etc. We are who we are because of our forebears. The reason I say that the choice of Tarot cards is not just fun fun fun but needs to reflect our real inner self which is covered in my last comment. If your readings have been fun then that fine. What I would feel that if entertainment is where you are at then the real reading of Tarot will wash over you. I do not wish to patronize you or anyone else but would point out that this level of Tarot reading is a nonsense. My readings would leave you reeling and amazed.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

There is no agreement among scholars as to the origin of Tarot cards, but some will say as far back as1200 A.D.
    It is my own opinion that, Within Tarot there are NO forces of evil.
    Evil in itself is a State of Mind.

As you must agree, there is Tarot and Tarot Cards, I know of 60 designs and there are probably many more, that relate to the (designers) beliefs, cabbalistic, alchemistic, astrological, Wicca "Feng Shui" to name a few. The "Pick me pick me" money orientated concepts, let's be honest on that fact.

I personally do not like, on-line readings, although it is the modern day idiom. Again money orientated.

Tarot cards are not intended to be seen as "fortune-telling devices" although some readers are able to use them to predict the future. I prefer to suggest certain possible courses of action, perhaps mentioning the probable consequences of each, but still leaving it up to the Querant to decide which of the paths they may wish to take.

I like my Querant to be face to face with me, I do not, nor have ever charged for a reading.
    If as often happens cards do not seem to answer the question asked of them, the result is the correct one at the particular time the question was posed . The Tarot will always give you the answer that you need to know, rather than the answer you want to know, regardless of whether or not it is connected with the original question.

I have had to abandon a reading altogether, finding that the questioner sometimes is at a stage in their life when they need to find their own answers, rather than consult the Tarot. I would never (make up) a reading. It has been done to me, and I was not fulfilled !!

Although it can be frustrating when the cards do not answer the question you wanted answering, you need to remember that what you want, and what you need are not always the same thing .

It's in the cards!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brontebooks
    Yes you are correct our " self " is made up of all the significant others in our life -this was seen in the 1920s by G. H. Mead -(Self & Society) but what you also need to accept is that much of our personality is genic -IQ / Traits etc. We are who we are because of our forebears. The reason I say that the choice of Tarot cards is not just fun fun fun but needs to reflect our real inner self which is covered in my last comment. If your readings have been fun then that fine. What I would feel that if entertainment is where you are at then the real reading of Tarot will wash over you. I do not wish to patronize you or anyone else but would point out that this level of Tarot reading is a nonsense. My readings would leave you reeling and amazed.
    Bronte, I never implied any fun, in my reading, I said they were a relaxing, albeit enlightening experience.

We are who we are because of our forebears traits etc., . is getting into the realms of Psychology.

You say,
    I do not wish to patronize you or anyone else but would point out that this level of Tarot reading is a nonsense.
    That is your perception. Perhaps there are some who would not wish to take a Tarot reading any further than the (fun element) Advocating, Subliminal Perception and Perceptual Defence.

I notice you state,
    My readings would leave you reeling and amazed.
    Surely they would be a personal thing to the recipients of your readings. LOL if they left them reeling and amazed, it would have been a matter for them.

View h1r3z's Feedback (+502)
    All-About h1r3z
    View h1r3z's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by otters
    See i find that very weird, i know a few people that do tarot(friends) some say you can buy them yourself, others say someone has to buy them for you as a gift. So which is correct and why?
    Anyone with a little more knowledge about this, beyond the realms of fortune telling (which incidentally is a sign of a charlatan if they charge you for a reading) and self image, will tell you that all this business about not buying your own cards & having to receive them as a gift, and not allowing anyone else to handle the cards, is pure pretentious claptrap. Those who have been given guidance and actually have some knowledge would not charge for a start, and as for not letting you touch the deck, they will actually encourage you to. It helps make the reading more accurate with the physical as well as mental/spiritual connection.

I think a lot of it comes down to bombast from people with a little knowledge who are content to make the rest up for the sake of drama & effect.

Let the bamboo lashing commence

I have just purchased some Tarot cards and am now looking at how to read them for myself, I find this an intersting subject and know that i have these powers you sepak about as i sometimes foresee what is going to happen the day it does.
    At the moment i am trying to find which is the best spread for me, I am just doing a daily routine of looking and getting to know my cards before i try anything more Am i right in doing this?
    In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary.

Thread Information