Thread: haunted castles in England

Forum Saint
    View _Nuts_'s Feedback (+445)
    All-About _Nuts_
    View _Nuts_'s Listings
    Forum Posts

Default haunted castles in England

Arundel Castle, Sussex

A ghost from King Charles II's time browses books in the library. He is known as the "Blue Man".

Berry Pomeroy Castle, Devon

Said to be haunted by the daughter of a wicked baron who, as a consequence of an enforced relationship with her father, bore him a child, which he strangled.

Bramber Castle, Sussex

A father of some children angered King John. The king ordered that the children should be starved to death in the castle. Their ghosts have been seen.

Cadbury Castle, Somerset

Ghostly horsemen carrying torches have been seen at the castle.

Corfe Castle, Dorset

The ghost of a headless woman has been seen next to the walls of the castle.

Dover Castle, Kent

Dover Castle is associated with numerous ghosts and strange sounds.
    In the King's bedroom, the lower half of a man has been seen walking through the doorway. The specter of a woman dressed in a red dress has been seen at the west stairway of the keep. The sounds of a creaking doorway opening and closing where a door used to be, but isn't anymore, have been heard.

Featherstone Castle, Northumberland

The castle is associated with a ghostly bridal party. Baron Featherstonehaugh had arranged for his daughter to marry a relative of his choice, even though the daughter was in love with someone else. The wedding party left for the "traditional hunt" after the wedding, leaving the baron behind to make arrangements for the banquet. When the party failed to return by midnight, the baron began to fear the worst. Sitting alone at the table, he heard horses crossing the drawbridge. The door opened and the party entered. But, they made no sound and passed through furniture.
    The wedding party had been ambushed and killed. On the anniversary of the wedding, the party can still be seen heading towards the castle.

Herstmonceux Castle, Sussex

Many different ghosts have been seen here. The "White Lady," the "Grey Lady" and a woman on a white donkey.

Hever Castle, Kent

The ghostly figure of Anne Boleyn has been seen gliding over the bridge.

Hurst Castle, Hampshire

A ghostly monk haunts the castle.

Lowther Castle, Cumbria

Haunted by Sir James Lowther. He was very unhappy with a prearranged marriage, and fell in love with a farmer's daughter. When she suddenly grew ill and died, Sir James refused to believe she was dead and left her on the bed. She was finally moved and placed in a coffin with a glass lid, which he set in a cupboard where he could look at her. She was finally buried, and Sir James died unloved and unmourned.
    At his funeral his coffin began to sway as it was lowered into the ground. His spectral coach and ungroomed horses can be seen being driven through the parklands of the castle.

Okehampton Castle, Devon

A specter of a black dog can be seen at the castle.

Old Wardour Castle, Wiltshire

Lady Arundel's ghost haunts the castle grounds. She was executed after a siege by the Roundheads.

Pengersick Castle, Cornwall

A specter of a man haunts the castle. He tried to poison his wife, but the wife poisoned him first.

Pevensey Castle, Sussex

Below the castle walls a spectral army can be seen and heard.

Rochester Castle, Kent

The ghost of Lady Blanche de Warenne has been seen walking the castle battlements.

Scotney Castle, Kent

A dripping wet ghost haunts the castle. It is said that the man was a Revenue Officer murdered by smugglers.

Sherborne Old Castle, Dorset

Sir Walter Raleigh's ghost sits on the castle masonry.

Tower of London, London

In 1816, a guard saw what he described afterwards as "a shadowy bear walking up the stairs in the twilight." He lunged at it with his bayonet, which shattered against the wall. The ghostly presence walked on unaffected and the guard, having told his unlikely story to others, died of shock a few days later.

Verdley Castle, Sussex

The last wild bear killed in England haunts the castle.

Windsor Castle, Berkshire

Queen Elizabeth I's ghost has been seen in the library.
    A young guard shot and killed himself and another guard on duty saw him afterwards.

Forum Saint
    View _Nuts_'s Feedback (+445)
    All-About _Nuts_
    View _Nuts_'s Listings
    Forum Posts

Default haunted castles in England

Arundel Castle, Sussex

A ghost from King Charles II's time browses books in the library. He is known as the "Blue Man".

Berry Pomeroy Castle, Devon

Said to be haunted by the daughter of a wicked baron who, as a consequence of an enforced relationship with her father, bore him a child, which he strangled.

Bramber Castle, Sussex

A father of some children angered King John. The king ordered that the children should be starved to death in the castle. Their ghosts have been seen.

Cadbury Castle, Somerset

Ghostly horsemen carrying torches have been seen at the castle.

Corfe Castle, Dorset

The ghost of a headless woman has been seen next to the walls of the castle.

Dover Castle, Kent

Dover Castle is associated with numerous ghosts and strange sounds.
    In the King's bedroom, the lower half of a man has been seen walking through the doorway. The specter of a woman dressed in a red dress has been seen at the west stairway of the keep. The sounds of a creaking doorway opening and closing where a door used to be, but isn't anymore, have been heard.

Featherstone Castle, Northumberland

The castle is associated with a ghostly bridal party. Baron Featherstonehaugh had arranged for his daughter to marry a relative of his choice, even though the daughter was in love with someone else. The wedding party left for the "traditional hunt" after the wedding, leaving the baron behind to make arrangements for the banquet. When the party failed to return by midnight, the baron began to fear the worst. Sitting alone at the table, he heard horses crossing the drawbridge. The door opened and the party entered. But, they made no sound and passed through furniture.
    The wedding party had been ambushed and killed. On the anniversary of the wedding, the party can still be seen heading towards the castle.

Herstmonceux Castle, Sussex

Many different ghosts have been seen here. The "White Lady," the "Grey Lady" and a woman on a white donkey.

Hever Castle, Kent

The ghostly figure of Anne Boleyn has been seen gliding over the bridge.

Hurst Castle, Hampshire

A ghostly monk haunts the castle.

Lowther Castle, Cumbria

Haunted by Sir James Lowther. He was very unhappy with a prearranged marriage, and fell in love with a farmer's daughter. When she suddenly grew ill and died, Sir James refused to believe she was dead and left her on the bed. She was finally moved and placed in a coffin with a glass lid, which he set in a cupboard where he could look at her. She was finally buried, and Sir James died unloved and unmourned.
    At his funeral his coffin began to sway as it was lowered into the ground. His spectral coach and ungroomed horses can be seen being driven through the parklands of the castle.

Okehampton Castle, Devon

A specter of a black dog can be seen at the castle.

Old Wardour Castle, Wiltshire

Lady Arundel's ghost haunts the castle grounds. She was executed after a siege by the Roundheads.

Pengersick Castle, Cornwall

A specter of a man haunts the castle. He tried to poison his wife, but the wife poisoned him first.

Pevensey Castle, Sussex

Below the castle walls a spectral army can be seen and heard.

Rochester Castle, Kent

The ghost of Lady Blanche de Warenne has been seen walking the castle battlements.

Scotney Castle, Kent

A dripping wet ghost haunts the castle. It is said that the man was a Revenue Officer murdered by smugglers.

Sherborne Old Castle, Dorset

Sir Walter Raleigh's ghost sits on the castle masonry.

Tower of London, London

In 1816, a guard saw what he described afterwards as "a shadowy bear walking up the stairs in the twilight." He lunged at it with his bayonet, which shattered against the wall. The ghostly presence walked on unaffected and the guard, having told his unlikely story to others, died of shock a few days later.

Verdley Castle, Sussex

The last wild bear killed in England haunts the castle.

Windsor Castle, Berkshire

Queen Elizabeth I's ghost has been seen in the library.
    A young guard shot and killed himself and another guard on duty saw him afterwards.

Default Re: haunted castles in England

Berry scary pomeroy castle

We visited a castle in devon just near to Paignton it was called
    BERRY POMEROY Castle,It is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in the UK.
    I will verify the facts.
    My friends bet me that I would not stay there alone for the night armed with my torch and sleeping bag off I went (Big Brave person that I am)
    On the way down to this castle the road goes down a steep windy road surrounded by a big embankment on the embankment are big tall trees that meet in the middle causing an effect of a large type tunnel.
    This is locally known as "the gateway to hell".
    MY FIRST VISIT
    Not being superstitious I ventured there in the nigh time about 10 pm on a motorcycle travelled about 8 miles and no problems Just as I arrived near to the gateway to hell the tree lined road leading to the castle I skidded come over the top of my motorcycle and continued on my back for about 40 - 50 feet luckily no serious injuries apart from abrasions to my knees and hands

MY SECOND VISIT

I decided to take my brother with me as I had previously told him about this time we travelled by car the same thing happened we got very near to the same spot were I had previously come off my motor bike on the first visit but this time the car totally took over my brothers control and we were going up and down the embankments veering from side to side.
    eventually we stopped the car and turned around shaking

MY THIRD VISIT

NO CHANCE NOT GOING THERE AGAIN
    I think Ive just laid an egg thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So add this to your most haunted places as this was My personal true
    frightening experience of my time I lived in Devon

Berry scary pomeroy castle

We visited a castle in devon just near to Paignton it was called
    BERRY POMEROY Castle,It is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in the UK.
    I will verify the facts.
    My friends bet me that I would not stay there alone for the night armed with my torch and sleeping bag off I went (Big Brave person that I am)
    On the way down to this castle the road goes down a steep windy road surrounded by a big embankment on the embankment are big tall trees that meet in the middle causing an effect of a large type tunnel.
    This is locally known as "the gateway to hell".
    MY FIRST VISIT
    Not being superstitious I ventured there in the nigh time about 10 pm on a motorcycle travelled about 8 miles and no problems Just as I arrived near to the gateway to hell the tree lined road leading to the castle I skidded come over the top of my motorcycle and continued on my back for about 40 - 50 feet luckily no serious injuries apart from abrasions to my knees and hands

MY SECOND VISIT

I decided to take my brother with me as I had previously told him about this time we travelled by car the same thing happened we got very near to the same spot were I had previously come off my motor bike on the first visit but this time the car totally took over my brothers control and we were going up and down the embankments veering from side to side.
    eventually we stopped the car and turned around shaking

MY THIRD VISIT

NO CHANCE NOT GOING THERE AGAIN
    I think Ive just laid an egg thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So add this to your most haunted places as this was My personal true
    frightening experience of my time I lived in Devon

Rochester Castle
    Living only a 5-10 minute drive from the castle and being able to see it from my home, I have never given it much thought... I have grown up in it's shadow, quite literally... It is a beautiful place and it does have that 'old creepy feeling' about it... I have never had any strange experiences there but the whole area is rich in ghostly tales... Dode church (about 10-15 mins from the castle) is well known locally as a 'haunted place'. Local legend says that the place was linked to some kind of satanic worship.
    The Hoo Peninsula, which is very close to Rochester, has a history rich with ghost stories... lots of sightings (a lot of the area is marsh land).
    Cooling Castle and Cooling Church were made famous by Charles Dickens (who lived and wrote in Rochester and Higham). Both are, according to local legend, haunted. This has been documented for quite some time.
    One place I ventured to that is a bit further away was Borley in Essex. The site of Borley Rectory has long been documented as one of the most haunted places in Britain.
    Deal in Kent is just over an hour from me and this has been the place of many sightings of a ghost ship the Lady Lovibond. It apparently appears every 50 years since is sank on the Goodwin Sands just off the coast of Deal. The crew all drowned.

kparenuts.
    re your article on castles. I have just come home from Featherstone Castle which you mention. My ex boss lives there. Iwas in fact there last saturday to watch a crickeet match.
    If you log on to Danny Brannigan in the google search you will i think see a photo of it used in the local TV weather pic.
    i live about 10 mins from it.

maybe this

maybe this

Thread Information