eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chipped/Modified Consoles

Default Chipped/Modified Consoles

Is it legal to sell them on here?

I was just wondering. I've seen quite a few modified xboxes etc.

I'm sure all the games are pirated because the sellers never answer questions about it except by private email, I'm not sure wether selling the modded console is illegal too.

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Re: Chipped/Modified Consoles

contact support@ebid to clarify this

View Gen696's Feedback (+537)
    All-About Gen696
    View Gen696's Listings
    Forum Posts

I was told you can sell modified / chipped consoles but not chipped / modified games!

But do contact Gary / Mark to see if this is still the way things work...
    Things change.

Legal or not, I think it makes a bad impression, but that's just my opinion.

Sony & Microsoft have gone after a lot of sites that sell mod chips. I'd hate to see Ebid get into any sort of trouble, but it's probably different since it's not Ebid selling the stuff.

All-About Gen696
    View Gen696's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree it does give a bad impression!
    I asked them awhile ago now and they said it ok for the consoles but not the games.. strange i thought but it's their business..

I think people are looking at chipping from the wrong perspective...chipping enables all region games to be played so if a game is bought while on holiday abroad , then it can be played on your return home ...games are released many months before the UK version in other regions. chipping is legal...it can be compared to having a DVD player which can play all regions. Why shouldn't we be able to watch American DVD's or play American games months b4 they come out over here.

Quote Originally Posted by timebase
    I think people are looking at chipping from the wrong perspective...chipping enables all region games to be played so if a game is bought while on holiday abroad , then it can be played on your return home ...games are released many months before the UK version in other regions. chipping is legal...it can be compared to having a DVD player which can play all regions. Why shouldn't we be able to watch American DVD's or play American games months b4 they come out over here.
    This is true, it is legal in some areas. I wish the console manufacturers would get rid of these stupid regional lockout systems, to give us customers more choice.

But of all the people I know who have had chipped consoles, not one of them plays imported games, they all use it to play pirated games.

The same thing goes for auctions, most of the ones i've seen advise that you can play copied/backup games, and a lot of them offer them for sale with the auctions.

Unhappy

So ths isn't the same as a chipped PS1 - which altered the focus of the laser to read copied games? Or is it?
    I recently got an Xbox and I'm looking for games to play. feeBay can kiss my....anyway.....and so I thought I'd come here.
    No, imagine my surprise when I saw halo 2 for a fiver. Yeah right. So I checked the QnA and the discs are 'printed' and come in black covers and the seller (you should be able to track them down from this info!) says you need a chipped box.
    Now, to me this stinks of copied game so he can make a few quid.
    Aside from him being a completed anus, this does reflect badly on eBid if people want to buy games and the only ones on there are copies.
    I'm happy to admit that maybe I'm not so perfect, but I try to buy genuine DVDs, games etc....and these cost more than copies.
    I like to save sna then spend on something I like. now I realise that makes me sound like I'm 15 and savnig my pocket money (i'm not though!) but it's the bloody principle of having to pay, for instance £5 more because some inbred with a PC and a CD writer can copy them for a fiver.
    Yeah, I am ranting a lot but I occassionally have these moments.
    Thanks for listening and maybe I shall start a QnA campaign of asking people if these are copies and if tey are then name and shame them???
    Cheeers
    Butterfly Effects
    *insert lots of information for a signature* - done!

All-About Gen696
    View Gen696's Listings
    Forum Posts

I agree it is bad for ebid to have these copied games being sold on here.
    I sell games myself and may i mention ONLY ORIGINALS!, i purchased 2 games on here once and only to be sent copies..
    I admit i have copied ps games for personal use as i want to keep the originals in great condition but would not sell them...

Sorry cannot help you on the Halo front, sold them all for £22 each new.
    Anyway hope we can get rid of some of these people down-grading the site.

Gen696

chipped xboxes are allowed to be sold, as it is the bios on the chip which can be illegal, not the actual chip. Chips for PS2 have been deemed illegal and so they are not allowed to be sold at all, in or out of the console. correct me if i'm wrong someone?

Thread Information