Forum Posts

Default chipped xbox and xbox games

are these illegal?

Forum Diehard
    View tonymaclennan's Feedback (+23)
    All-About tonymaclennan
    View tonymaclennan's Listings
    Forum Posts

i have read things saying yes, no and confused.

Forum Lurker
    Great Broughton, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View carpfisher's Feedback (+298)
    All-About carpfisher
    View carpfisher's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonymaclennan
    i have read things saying yes, no and confused.
    Apparently,it is legal to modify a games machine like x-box for your own use.
    Take a look at this article i`ve found.

MICROSOFT IS CREDITED with taking out X-Box mod chip supplier, Lik Sang of Hong Kong.
    Lik Sang’s website has been out of action for a couple of weeks. “Our servers are down," they say. "We apologize for any inconvenience caused!” And now it seems the servers are down because Microsoft wants them that way.

According to Cnet, a representative of Microsoft in Australia confirmed that the company has taken legal action against the modders.

Microsoft recently fiddled with the internals of the X-Box to subvert the hackers’ attempts to mod the box. It also reworked its eula when introducing the online gaming service X-Box Live! The "agreement" now states: "Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system is strictly prohibited."

Australia was the place, however, where one modder managed to beat rival console maker Sony in court by arguing that his mod to the PlayStation2 simply allowed him to play DVDs that may in fact be legal, just purchased abroad.

Microsoft contends, however, that it has the right to stop modifications to its console where such actions may deprive it of revenue. It seems the software giant may not be able to stop indivuals from doing what they like to their bought-and-paid-for X-Boxes but may have the muscle to stop third parties shipping mod chips commercially.

iv had mine done and downloaded 100s of xbox and ps2 and psp games id never pay for a full priced game from a shop again

you can back up your own games/music/dvd's with out braking the law so long as you own the original games/music/dvd's.

p.s its not against the law to provide a service that you would pay someone to back the games up for you or you for them.

i know ebid wont let you sell them or ebay for that matter so i would not even try but you could set up your own website where youd have no problems selling them :-)
    Last edited by consolesrus; 5th December 2005 at 07:45 PM.

Default actually you are wrong it is illegal to backup/copy video games in Australia

This practice is illegal. Even if you are only doing it to back up your games. Australia's Intelectual Property Laws prohibit the copying of other peoples work (this includes copying games) under the copyright act your not allowed to copy games as you are steeling someone elses property.

There are no excuses for this as it is piracy and hurts the people who work in the games industry. Because of piracy people in the industry are loosing there jobs. I worked for a major distributor of video games for 3 years and due to the decline in sales due to piracy, many of my customers (retail stores etc went out of business and many people at work have lost their jobs.)

Did you know that video games profits are razor thin, the cost of producing 1 console is so high they dont make any money on the consoles. The playstation 3 costs $2000 AUS dollars to produce and Sony sold them at a loss of a $1000 per console. Stop hurting the industry and buy orginal games or everyone will go out of business and there will be no more games for you to play or buy.

Forum Newbie
    View GameZone's Feedback (+1)
    All-About GameZone
    View GameZone's Listings
    Forum Posts

Yeap they are against the law, i can remember when people realised you could copy playstation games in your bog standard PC and a new market of chipped playstation was born over night. Playstation 2 that had the room for the harddrive there where programs that can copy them direct to your hardrive and I believe the xbox a simliar system was born.

Thread Information