Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techie help ?

Default Techie help ?

Hi can anyone help me i want to i think the term is link two computer together and then both pc's can access the internet
    any help would be gratefull what do i need to do this thanks in advance

A few ways available:

1) RJ45 crossover cable and Internet Connection Sharing
    2) Network hub and ICS
    3) Wireless cards in both machines and ICS

Plethora of choice open to you...

Thanks for the help i think ineed wired networking but in plain english what exactly will i need to get it up and running thanks in advance a computer novice

Quote Originally Posted by pooch13
    i need wired networking but in plain english what exactly will i need to get it up and running
    The usual answer to that is: a techie mate who can come round and do it for you.

You'll need a Router (ADSL for standard, or a Cable one for NTL/Telewest) two network cards (aka Ethernet cards) and two RJ45 Cables.

For assistance i'd recommend www.techsupportforum.com

Thanks for all your help

no need for the router if you want both on at once (second pc runs through the first using it as a gateway to the net)

Stuff needed : 2 x ethernet cards/ports and a crossover cat 5 cable (rj45 connector).

Most PC's now have built in ethernet ports on the motherboard, if you recieve your connection via this youll need install another. PCI ethernet cards are cheap as muck now so no worries there.

hook your cabling up to a spare ethernet card/port on your second machine and if you use xp, there are some handy wizards which will network them for you. Alternatively do it youself, quite simple.

Have this set up on offices and home PC's for when i need to hook my laptop up etc

Should cost around 80p a metre for cabling and I've seen the 10/100Mb ethernet cards under £3 each in places.

Hi iv'e opted for the netgear rp614 cable/dsl firewall router & 4 port switch once i buy this what else will ineed thanks for any help in advance
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by pooch13
    Hi iv'e opted for the netgear rp614 cable/dsl firewall router & 4 port switch once i buy this what else will ineed thanks for any help in advance

Just a bit of luck Jimmy,did see a complete Broadband wireless system advertised to run up to 19 PC's in an area.If I find the ad.will post it for you.

NEW* Devolo MicroLink dLAN HomePlug Starter Kit - Home Networking Made Easy

Easy to install PC networking Starter Kit providing instant Internet access & PC networking over your existing household mains power supply. Includes 2x HomePlug dLAN Ethernet Adaptors that easily transform your in-house mains power circuit into a home networking infrastructure using your existing electrical wiring. Ideal for anyone wanting to extend their existing Internet access, make an internal PC network or even connect a games console; all without the need for new cabling. Surf the Internet and share data at speeds of up to 14 Mbps and a range of up to 200m. Data sharing is easily enabled by connecting each PC to a power socket with a MicroLink dLAN adapter. For Internet access, simply connect the MicroLink dLAN Ethernet adapter to an Internet enabled DSL modem/ router (Ethernet) and plug it into a power socket. This system couldnt be more easy and flexible!

Safe, secure and doesn't interfere! HomePlug technology uses the household electricity meter as a natural barrier from eavesdroppers. Additional maximum security is provided using DESpro encryption. Whereas thick walls and floors can cause severe interference for wireless connections (e.g. Wi-Fi, Wireless LAN), the performance of HomePlug is unaffected.

Key Features:

* 2 HomePlug Ethernet adapters for Internet access & PC networking over your existing household power supply (*dLAN = Direct LAN)
    * The easiest broadband extension into any room and onto any floor in the house, simply by connecting a MicroLink dLAN Ethernet adapter to an Internet enabled ADSL/ cable modems Ethernet interface; and plugging it into a power socket!
    * No new cables, no drilling, no mess! Just use any power socket to access the Internet or home network throughout the whole house.
    * Perfect for connecting games consoles to the Internet (e.g. X-Box, PS/2)
    * Installation - Child's play!Simply plug a MicroLink dLAN Ethernet adapter into a power socket and connect it to the PCs Ethernet interface; install the supplied software and go! More PCs Just add more MicroLink dLAN adapters for additional PC connectivity.
    * Data rates of up to 14Mbps over your existing household power supply
    * Very compact design - no bigger than a mains power adapter!
    * Ranges of up to 200m - No problem connecting through thick concrete walls and multi-floors.
    * Maximum security from eavesdroppers using DESpro encryption.
    * Includes 2x 3m Ethernet cables
    * 3 Year Warranty

Jimmy hope this may be of help to you,and of course any others intrested in a similar,easy type setup.

Click Here For More Devolo Home Networking Products

Thread Information