Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lighter Evenings (Experiment) Bill

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Lighter Evenings (Experiment) Bill

The House of Lords are at it again. To Advance time by one hour throughout the year for an experimental period;
    and for connected purposes what are they when they are at home.

Amendment of the Summer Time Act 1972
    In section 1(1) of the Summer Time Act 1972 (advance of time during period of
    summer time) for “one hour” substitute “two hours”.
    Ity takes me all my time to get back to reality with one hour changes never mind 2. Why can't they leave things alone.

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Christ, even though I love the longer days and lighter evenings, I'm not sure I like the thought of it not getting completely dark until nearly midnight in mid-summer

One thing I DO want though, is that the clocks don't go back in the winter. The fact that it starts getting dark at around 3-3.30 in midwinter isn't good for kids coming home from school or SAD sufferers....

View shelleywelley's Feedback (+391)
    All-About shelleywelley
    View shelleywelley's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    The fact that it starts getting dark at around 3-3.30 in midwinter isn't good for kids coming home from school or SAD sufferers....
    Does it, usually around 4 - 4.30 it gets dark here

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelleywelley
    Does it, usually around 4 - 4.30 it gets dark here
    It can be completely dark by 4, if the weather's grey and overcast. In that type of weather the light starts fading by 3.30...I remember when I used to wait at the bus stop for my kids coming home from school, and by the time they got off the bus it was almost dark.

I hate it.

You brainbox ladies are bound to know the answer.Roughly how long ago was it when we last reverted to putting the clocks forward 2hours at summertime.I remember it ran for a year,maybe two at the most.Believe was to do with scool starting times,because possibility of dark bus stops and coach pick up points.

Stonebridge, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View IanSF's Feedback (+23)
    All-About IanSF
    View IanSF's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Bloody Stupid Time

This is an extract from the pages of the National Maritime Museum.
    During the Second World War, double summer time (2 hours in advance of GMT) was introduced and was used for the period when, normally ordinary summer time would have been in force. During the winter clocks were kept one hour in advance of GMT. After the war, summer time was invoked each year from 1948 to 1967. In 1968 clocks were advanced one hour ahead of GMT on 18 February and remained so until British Standard Time, during which clocks were kept in advance of GMT all year, came into force between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971.
    In Scotland this meant that we were going to school still in the dark between 8:30 and 9:00 during the winter months. We never called it British Standard Time, but Bl00dy Stupid Time.

View sweetmimi's Feedback (+522)
    All-About sweetmimi
    View sweetmimi's Listings
    Forum Posts

I dont think any other country puts their clocks back one hour and forward one hour apart from us Why can they just not bother with any of it and let us have the same time all year round instead of messing with it?

Most of my electronic stuff with clocks seems to set itself these days, it's only my self-winding watch, central heating clock, microwave & 7 day mantlepiece clock that I have to adjust.
    Why can't we simply move clocks forward 5 minutes per week starting 1st Jan & back 5 minutes per week starting 1st July?
    Nowt here so don't bother looking

SEARCHING for ET

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft
    Christ, even though I love the longer days and lighter evenings, I'm not sure I like the thought of it not getting completely dark until nearly midnight in mid-summer

One thing I DO want though, is that the clocks don't go back in the winter. The fact that it starts getting dark at around 3-3.30 in midwinter isn't good for kids coming home from school or SAD sufferers....
    i remember yrs ago it being still light here at 11.45 all the kids were on the front still playin out used to love that.............safer on the streets to lol.............

Thread Information