Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Finding items in your own country?

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Finding items in your own country?

Originally Posted by bastet
    How do you find items that are listed from your own country?
    I am a new user from "the dark side" and this might have an obvious answer... but I haven't found it yet. Just browsing around i've found that a lot of the auctions I am interested in are listed from overseas and the postage to Australia is more than I'm willing to pay. I am also interested in bidding on seeds/plants etc. and there are customs issues with this sort of thing, so it would be much easier if I could find stuff that is already in Australia. How do I find these items without clicking on every listing to see the details? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by bastet
    Thank you thehoneyant, but I'm already using that. http://au.ebid.net/ still lists every auction that's AVAILABLE to Australia... and at the moment I'm having a hard time finding the Aus. listings amongst the many UK and US listings.

Maybe it's just that there aren't enough Australian sellers yet... but I would love to have a filter or search option to find them easier.
    LOL... ... I see what you mean now. I had a look myself and noticed that some sellers are listing in AU$ but they are actually from e.g. the UK
    Needs something simple like a country flag against the sellers name showing their originating country.
    Why not post this in the Website Suggestions & Glitches forum
    It's worth a try.

I think this needs to be nipped in the bud, otherwise this place could end up like Greedbay! I think all the sites (in each country) should default to showing only items available in their respective countries, and then you could choose an option to show items available to your country as well.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyote View Post
    I think this needs to be nipped in the bud, otherwise this place could end up like Greedbay! I think all the sites (in each country) should default to showing only items available in their respective countries, and then you could choose an option to show items available to your country as well.
    LOL default that's the word I was looking for . As Bobby Thompson used to say "I'm not an engineer"

I agree it needs to be sorted.

Unhappy lg3545

there is a search option for australia only but the bloody thing resets and shows evreywhere again
    I will give this place the miss if i can't set it as a default when i want items that postage makes too expensive to buy
    also it is difficult to contact ebid direct to request any change
    They must have learn't from EBAY
    regards les

All-About brassedoff
    View brassedoff's Listings
    Forum Posts

When searching in a particular country i.e. http://au.ebid.net/ then I would expect to get all results that apply to that country.

However if you look at the results you should notice that some of the prices in the red bid box are in italics that means the item is in a different currency to the site default in this case AU$.

I agree thats not entirely what you are after but it may help to filter out what you view within the search results.

This needs to be fixed, otherwise ex-Ebayers will come over here, hoping to escape from masses of items which they don't want to see because they aren't in their own country (i.e. Chinese sellers on Ebay), and will find a similar problem here. Surely this can't be that difficult to fix- it was set up to search for all countries somehow, so can't that option just be 'unticked' in the search 'thingy' that searches the database?

#5 This issue is one of the major reasons a lot of eBay sellers like me are over here now and if eBid takes off in a big way it needs fixing now. I'm not sure you would still say this if you saw the state of the UK Ebay site since February. That's when eBay changed the search criteria from 'located in the UK' to 'available to the UK' and since then the site has become flooded by hundreds of thousands (I am not exaggerating) of items from the Far East, many fake - most are adverised at very low starting prices (99p) with high postage costs (e.g. £200) - this is major fee avoidance and eBay say they don't have the resources to deal with it. It has given the site a bad name and turned off loads of buyers who don't want to wade through pages of stuff from China or Hong Kong.

eBid is small at the moment so it probably doesn't seem like a problem but it will become one.
    Check out my shop at http://uk.ebid.net/stores/The-IKEA-Plus-Shop
    • IKEA - great items on offer (Special request service offered!)
    • PLUS - lots of other goodies too!

Thread Information