eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Another serial killer on the loose!

Oh yes ... something dawned on me whilst i was out shopping - PROVOCATIVE CLOTHING - Can mean so many different things to so many different minds.

Serial killers have been known to choose their victims due to the colour of their hair , high heeled shoes, reminding them of an ex, mother etc ... So its not really right to asume that a girl walking about in skimpy clothes is going to be attacked over and above someone who dresses more conservatively.

I still disagree. If we went to bed and left a window or door open, or our car keys in the ignition, we would not be asking to be robbed, and in no way could it be our own fault, but we could have taken action to prevent it from happening.

Prostitutes sell sex for a living, going to lonely places with strange men, girls go around dressed skimpily, people walk around with their mobile phones in full view...not doing these things could prevent a crime from happening.

I agree that people should be able to dress how they like (but thinking about how it affects or embarrases other people would be nice) and should be able to go to bed without locking themselves in, or walk around at night without fear, but the fact is we can't because of other people's criminal behaviour. Many crimes can be prevented by taking a few simple precautions, and that includes people being responsible for their own behaviour and how it affects others.

A family I know used to let their 3 year-old daughter play out in the streets on her own, even in the dark...thankfully nothing ever happened to her, but if it had, the family wouldn't have been to blame, but it would have been preventable.
    Come and try your luck in our gaming forums:
    http://www.arh-auction.co.uk/forums/

Quote Originally Posted by fairywishes View Post
    Oh yes ... something dawned on me whilst i was out shopping - PROVOCATIVE CLOTHING - Can mean so many different things to so many different minds.

Serial killers have been known to choose their victims due to the colour of their hair , high heeled shoes, reminding them of an ex, mother etc ... So its not really right to asume that a girl walking about in skimpy clothes is going to be attacked over and above someone who dresses more conservatively.
    I'm not saying that...all I'm saying is that we should take as many precautions as we can to protect ourselves. You're right, anything can happen to anyone at any time. However, placing ourselves in dangerous situations doesn't help! You'd be surprised to know that a lot of decent men find it embarassing to talk to girls who are dressed skimpily (is that a word??) The only attention these girls attract are from males that have one thing on their minds.

However, everyone's entitled to their opinion, and this thread is showing interesting differences.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Thursday, December 14, 2006
    British police are understood to be investigating the possibility that the Suffolk serial killer may have been active as far back as 14 years ago.
    The mother of a prostitute murdered in 1992 claims police are probing a link between the killing and the murder of five prostitutes in Ipswich over the past few weeks.

Anyone remember JACK THE STRIPPER ?
    He killed 7 prostitues between 1964/65 and has never been found.

Quote Originally Posted by thehoneyant View Post
    Thursday, December 14, 2006

Anyone remember JACK THE STRIPPER ?
    He killed 7 prostitues between 1964/65 and has never been found.
    Makes you wonder if its someone who was in prison during that time ? & Is now out again.

Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
    View thehoneyant's Feedback (+137)
    All-About thehoneyant
    View thehoneyant's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fairywishes View Post
    Makes you wonder if its someone who was in prison during that time ? & Is now out again.
    A list of suspects had supposedly been narrowed down from 20 men to three when one of those committed suicide, gassing himself in his kitchen and leaving a cryptic note: "I cannot go on." It might mean anything - or nothing - but the murders ended with the nameless suspect's death, and so police seemed satisfied, although the case remains officially unsolved.
    Lets hope they don't give up with this feller like they did 40 years ago, eh!
    I don't suppose they dressed as provocatively then as they do now, but I ain't going down that road again. lol it was done to death (excuse the pun) on a very long heated discussion on here once before.

View mobymatt's Feedback (+1580)
    All-About mobymatt
    View mobymatt's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arh-products View Post
    What is it with men? We have yet another woman-killing psycho on the loose, this time in Ipswitch, causing fear for all women and girls in that area.

We all know those murdered women work in a very dangerous profession, a lot of whom are doing it so they can finance their drug use, but it's not upto one man to judge them worthy of death!

Women come in for a tough time when it comes to murderers...how many men do you know who are afraid to go for a drink and walk home afterwards, or go and chat up strange women in bars etc.

It's us women who have to be cautious..for ever looking over our shoulders, not daring to answer the door, not daring to walk anywhere after dark etc. If WE get chatted up in a pub, we always wonder...is he a rapist/killer/psycho etc.?

That said, there's ways we can help by not putting ourselves in potentially dangerous situations, or not 'flashing everything we've got' when we go out! I've seen girls as young as 9 or 10 dressed very provocatively, out walking the streets after dark. If you happen to catch the attention of some pervert because of the way you dress or act, then you have to take at least part of the responsibility for what happens. No-one forces them to do the things they do, but don't give them any more ammunition!

Skimpy clothing may be the 'fashion', but think twice before you venture outside. Ask yourself: 'What kind of attention do I want, and what kind do I attract?'
    Going back to your original OP I think it would have been better started "What is it about a tiny fraction of men who commit these despicable crimes..."

Why is some wacko, nutjob psychotic going around murdering prostitutes in the Ipswich area? Who knows? Maybe through a serious mental imbalance, a developed hatred for women, on some loony quasi-religious grounds to rid the world of 'evil' or a combination of the above?

Why prostitutes? Not because of what they wear, but because they are vunerable, easy targets usually far from 'home' with hardly anybody to look out for them or miss them when they're gone.

Personally if I see a woman in a bar or club "flashing everything she's got" I might think the image looks a bit cheap or tacky, but I certainly wouldn't think "she's asking for it".

Where I am in some agreement with you is with girls under 16 dressing and "making up" to look a lot older than they are. Maybe it's a generational thing, but it just looks wrong to me..

" If you happen to catch the attention of some pervert because of the way you dress or act, then you have to take at least part of the responsibility for what happens"
    this is the part that i find so wrong and out of order
    you should NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS OF OTHERS
    yes perhaps you should be carefull what you wear
    but its not the womans or mans fault if they are raped/murdered no matter how they are dressed

When i was younger i used to dress a little inapropriate from time to time ( im ashamed to admit ) and now though im very conservative in my dress - but im still the same person, maybe its a maturity thing.

The attention i maybe felt i needed when i was younger i can now get in other ways or do without ?? Who knows.

LOTS of very bad things happened to me when i was young too, mostly under 16 ... I suppose it was my fault then.

Yes, I see your point on a few things. I should have said 'some' men.

I certainly wouldn't say women are 'asking for it'...it's terrible what some people can inflict on other human beings.

I just hope they get whoever it is very quickly. Criminal science has come on in leaps and bounds over the past few decades, but this person has struck in the fastest succession in British serial killer history!

As much as I love CSI and other crime shows, they do tend to show us what not do to if we ever take to crime! Saying that, the killer must know that he will be caught! Perhaps he wants the notariety and attention he's seen other killers receive in the press.

I remember when Peter Sutcliffe was doing the rounds in Yorkshire...I used to drink in the same pub he used to frequent in Wakefield (not at the same time...a few years after, thankfully)! The not knowing who he is must make women in that area view all men with suspicion!

Thread Information