Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so who's gonna quit.....

Battersea, Greater London, United Kingdom
    View rainbowcraft's Feedback (+2067)
    All-About rainbowcraft
    View rainbowcraft's Listings
    Forum Posts

I'm still not smoking, 9 months so far.

When I *need* a smoke with a drink, I suck a nicotine lozenge. It really helps to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowcraft View Post
    I'm still not smoking, 9 months so far.

When I *need* a smoke with a drink, I suck a nicotine lozenge. It really helps to keep me on the straight and narrow!
    WELL DONE TRACY! Cant be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Petesmovies4auction View Post
    I think the complete opposite. Those that take the time to ask 'when would be the best time to quit' are to me giving it serious thought... those that say 'im quitting now' do it on a spur of the moment and probably wont last
    Don't you see? There's never a good time to quit. Those who keep looking for the perfect time will always come up with excuses to do it another day, another week or after some other event. Putting it off simply means putting off the decision. Those who just quit, without mucking about with dates, have made the decision; they've taken that psychological step. It's a bit like a kid on top of a wall - he wants to jump, his mates are telling him to jump and he's sure he'll do it in a minute, or maybe he won't. Until he's actually left that wall and is dropping to the ground he won't know if he was capable of making the decision, of taking that step toward his desired goal.

Those who procrastinate will fail.

Take the step. Make the decision. Stick to your decision.

I gave up smoking for 3 years, and yearned for a smoke all the time, and I took it up again when I was having a stressful time. 6 years ago the govt were increasing the price of a packet of cigarettes by 20p above the rate of inflation, and at the same time the manufacturers said they had to increase their price by 20p. I worked out how much more money it would cost me to carry on smoking the 40 a day I was on. You notice I didn't work out how much it was already costing me to smoke 40 a day. I was pretty resigned to that by then. Then I thought "S*d the greedy barstewards", and I never bought another cigarette.
    It surprised me the other day just how much a packet of cigarettes cost now. I couldn't afford to smoke 20 a day, let alone the 40 a day I used to get through. I don't want a cigarette any more, and I hate the smoking smell on other people too.

Default Smoking is not just a habit, it is an addiction.

The nicotine in cigarette smoke can be as addictive as heroin and crack cocaine. !! I don't smoke but this would put me off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6212373.stm

Good luck to those who want to kick the habit/addiction

All-About pheasantplukka
    View pheasantplukka's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's the adverts on telly that have really put me off, not to mention I have very bad asthma!
    Those adverts on telly tell you about the substances in fags, apparently 69 lethal substances, one of which is arsinic another being
    formaldehyde, which amongst other things was widely used by taxidermists to stuff animals - it is highly poisonous and some experiments show that it has caused cancer in animals -

Here are just some other chemicals found in fags:-

Cancer Causing Agents:
    Nitrosamines, Crysenes, Cadmium, Benzo (a) pyrene, Polonium 210, Nickel, P.A.H.s, Diberiz Acidine, B-Napthylamine, Urethane, N. Nitrosonornicotene, Toluidine
    Metals:
    Aluminum, Zinc, Magnesium, Mercury, Gold, Silicon, Silver, Titanium, Lead, Copper
    And more:
    Acetone (nail polish remover), Acetic Acid (Vinegar), Ammonium (Floor/Toilet Cleaner), Arsenic (poison), Butane (cigarette lighter fluid), Cadmium (rechargeable batteries), Carbon Monoxide (car exhaust fumes), DDT/Dieldrin (Insecticides), Ethanol (alcohol), Formaldehyde (preserver of body tissue and fabric), Hexamine (barbecue lighter), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison), Methane (swamp gas), Methanol (rocket fuel), Napthalene (mothballs), Nicotine ( insecticide/addictive drug), Nitrobenzene (gasoline additive), Nitrous Oxide Phenols (disinfectant), Steric Acid (candle wax), Toluene (industrial solvent), Vinyl Chloride (makes PVC)

Previously, I personally had to set myself a date and during the lead up to that, was a very important time physcologically because I was gearing myself up for it and it worked, I went cold turkey and succeeded, so there is no reason why I cant do it again, with me, I found that I had to 'want' to give it up as supposed to doing it just because I knew I should - dunno if that makes sense but I know what I mean

mad thing is, I only started smoking when I was 36, I had NEVER touched a cigarrette before that in my life, not even when peer pressure was at its worst.

SO, I believe I CAN do it - my only problem is that I'm not sure if trying to do it when on holiday will work, I have quite bad physical side affects to start with and all the extra time I will have on my hands will make it a 100 x worse, I'm not just saying that, I know it it will

Quote Originally Posted by pheasantplukka View Post
    It's the adverts on telly that have really put me off, not to mention I have very bad asthma!
    Those adverts on telly tell you about the substances in fags, apparently 69 lethal substances, one of which is arsinic another being formaldehyde, which amongst other things was widely used by taxidermists to stuff animals - it is highly poisonous and some experiments show that it has caused cancer in animals -

Here are just some other chemicals found in fags:-

Cancer Causing Agents:
    Nitrosamines, Crysenes, Cadmium, Benzo (a) pyrene, Polonium 210, Nickel, P.A.H.s, Diberiz Acidine, B-Napthylamine, Urethane, N. Nitrosonornicotene, Toluidine
    Metals:
    Aluminum, Zinc, Magnesium, Mercury, Gold, Silicon, Silver, Titanium, Lead, Copper
    And more:
    Acetone (nail polish remover), Acetic Acid (Vinegar), Ammonium (Floor/Toilet Cleaner), Arsenic (poison), Butane (cigarette lighter fluid), Cadmium (rechargeable batteries), Carbon Monoxide (car exhaust fumes), DDT/Dieldrin (Insecticides), Ethanol (alcohol), Formaldehyde (preserver of body tissue and fabric), Hexamine (barbecue lighter), Hydrogen Cyanide (gas chamber poison), Methane (swamp gas), Methanol (rocket fuel), Napthalene (mothballs), Nicotine ( insecticide/addictive drug), Nitrobenzene (gasoline additive), Nitrous Oxide Phenols (disinfectant), Steric Acid (candle wax), Toluene (industrial solvent), Vinyl Chloride (makes PVC)

Previously, I personally had to set myself a date and during the lead up to that, was a very important time physcologically because I was gearing myself up for it and it worked, I went cold turkey and succeeded, so there is no reason why I cant do it again, with me, I found that I had to 'want' to give it up as supposed to doing it just because I knew I should - dunno if that makes sense but I know what I mean

mad thing is, I only started smoking when I was 36, I had NEVER touched a cigarrette before that in my life, not even when peer pressure was at its worst.

SO, I believe I CAN do it - my only problem is that I'm not sure if trying to do it when on holiday will work, I have quite bad physical side affects to start with and all the extra time I will have on my hands will make it a 100 x worse, I'm not just saying that, I know it it will

Polonium 210 is in cigarettes?

All-About pheasantplukka
    Forum Posts

Polonium

Polonium is a radioactive, extremely rare semi-metal. It is reactive, silvery-gray, it dissolves in dilute acids, but it is only slightly soluble in alkalis. it is fairly volatile: about half of a sample of it will evaporate within 3 days (unless it is kept in a sealed container).
    Applications
    Polonium was once used in textile mills (to eliminate static charges) and by the manufacturers of photographic plates (in brushes to remove the accumulated dust). It is used as a source of alfa-radiation for research and, alloyed with beryllium it can act as a portable source of neutrons, which normally only access to a nuclear reactor can provide.
    Polonium in the environment
    Polonium is a very rare element in nature. it is found in uranium ores, but none extract it form these ores. Polonium is produced in about 100 g/year by bombarding bismuth with neutrons in a nuclear reactor.
    Health effects of polonium

Polonium is studied in a few nuclear research laboratories where its high radioactivity as an alpha-emitter requires special handling techniques and precautions.
    Polonium -210 is the only component of cigarette smoke that has produced cancer by itself in laboratory animals by inhalation - tumors appeared already at a polonium level five times lower than those of a normal heavy smoker.
    Lung cancer rates among men kept climbing from a rarity in 1930 (4/100,000 per year) to the No. 1 cancer killer in 1980 (72/100,000) in spite of an almost 20 percent reduction in smoking. But during the same period, the level of polonium -210 in American tobacco had tripled. This coincided with the increase in the use of phosphate fertilizers by tobacco growers - calcium phosphate ore accumulates uranium and slowly releases radon gas.
    As radon decays, its electrically charged daughter products attach themselves to dust particles, which adhere to the sticky hairs on the underside of tobacco leaves. This leaves a deposit of radioactive polonium and lead on the leaves. Then, the intense localized heat in the burning tip of a cigarette volatilizes the radioactive metals. While cigarette filters can trap chemical carcinogens, they are ineffective against radioactive vapors.
    The lungs of a chronic smoker end up with a radioactive lining in a concentration much higher than from residential radon. These particles emit radiation. Smoking two packs of cigarettes a day imparts a radiation dose by alpha particles of about 1,300 millirem per year. For comparison, the annual radiation dose to the average American from inhaled radon is 200 mrem. However, the radiation dose at the radon "action level" of 4 pCi/L is roughly equivalent to smoking 10 cigarettes a day.

In addition, polunium-210 is soluble and is circulated through the body to every tissue and cell in levels much higher than from residential radon. The proof is that it can be found in the blood and urine of smokers. The circulating polonium -210 causes genetic damage and early death from diseases reminiscent of early radiological pioneers: liver and bladder cancer, stomach ulcer, leukemia, cirrhosis of liver, and cardiovascular diseases.

The Surgeon General C. Everett Koop stated that radioactivity, rather than tar, accounts for at least 90% of all smoking-related lung cancers. The Center for Disease Control concluded "Americans are exposed to far more radiation from tobacco smoke than from any other source."

Cigarette smoking accounts for 30% of all cancer deaths. Only poor diet rivals tobacco smoke as a cause of cancer in the U.S., causing a comparable number of fatalities each year. However, the National Cancer Institute, with an annual budget of $500 million, has no active funding for research of radiation from smoking or residential radon as a cause of lung cancer, presumably, to protect the public from undue fears of radiation.
    Environmental effects of polonium

The environmental and biochemical forces which may tend to reconcentrate these toxic materials in living cells are not well known. Although polonium occurs naturally, it has become much more available for entering into water, food, living cells and tissue since the mining boom which began shortly after the Second World War.

there you go!!

anyone who really cares about their life should join me in the quest to GIVE UP!..............Oh why did I ever start

WEAKNESS ....

Last edited by pheasantplukka; 29th December 2006 at 05:11 PM.

All-About pheasantplukka
    Forum Posts

In effect, this is more than just your or my life but the others around us too............ roll on the 1st July!

I think smokers in general tend to turn over when the ad's are showing or turn a 'deaf ear' when told of the truth's about the effects smoking has not only on 'the' smoker but others in the vicinity, they are the ones who really don't have a choice ....do they, that's why I say roll on July 1st....

Everyone was scared sh1tless when that spy was poisoned by polonium 210, all the people on the BA flights were calling BA scared and worried.... now i bet half of them had it in their systems from smoking i had no idea it was in cigarettes

Anyone, well done to anyone who has quit and the best of luck to those who are going to in the New Year!

Thread Information