eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBOX 360 Cooker/ Overheating? 3 RED lights?No warranty?

Smile XBOX 360 Cooker/ Overheating? 3 RED lights?No warranty?

Fix it yourself with parts from me or I fix it for you! the choice is yours.

Forum Saint
    View Cocksparrer's Feedback (+424)
    All-About Cocksparrer
    View Cocksparrer's Listings
    Forum Posts

This only happens if you leave the console on for too long. This has happened to my son a couple of times so now I restrict the use of his 360. And he has to either go to his PC, PS3 or whatever else he has to play with. When using 360 try not to have it on for more than 2 hours, it has a crap cooling system. And keep the plug out of the wall. If it overheats keep it off for a good 4 hours as the C.B will still be overheating, or you could buy another small fan but be careful as the fan can spread dust particles into the casing. We have a fan sitting next to the 360 so it doesnt over heat so much now, but 2 hours is still a long time to play on the 2360. Xbox failed to update any components when they realised it had a naff fan, but they were quick enough to replace the leads for the original xbox when they realised that the consoles for (old) xbox the leads were very dodgy.

Get a fan

The 3 Red Lights problem (Also known as RRoD) is common throughout all earlier Xbox 360 models. There has been big news on this and Microsoft have now changed the chipsets in the new "Falcon" models.

Microsoft also announced that all Xbox 360's are covered by a 3 year warrenty against the RRoD so if you get it you can send it back to Microsoft for a free repair. (Free pickup and delivery)

Hmm, well it might be a free repair+pickup+delivery but don't forget you have to wait in all day for the courier... they cannot even tell you if it will be morning or afternoon. After a long drawn out xbox repair process (still unresolved by the way) I would strongly recommend taking the console back to the retailer if it's still under warranty. I had a repaired console that still didn't work properly, then a replacement unit from microsoft which I strongly suspect was a refurb. This was also faulty! After weeks of frustrating phone calls to xbox support, waiting in for couriers etc, I have now given up with Microsoft and am waiting for a replacement from the retailer. Total nightmare!

I bought one of the extra coolings fan bolt on jobbies for the back of my console and it's been fine since then even for extended play sessions of 6 hours +.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    View heatemyfather's Feedback (+53)
    All-About heatemyfather
    View heatemyfather's Listings
    Forum Posts

Talking

2 hours? I can't honestly imagine many avid gamers limiting themselves to that time, especially on weekends! I have a 40GB PS3 myself and sometimes leave it running all day (Folding@Home) and then play a game in the evening, frequently it will be used for 3-4 hours at a time playing games. If this caused it to break then I would rapidly lose all patience for it! As it is I suffer no ill effects. Only Oblivion has crashed on me more than once and I put that down to buggy code (the game has several known bugs).

There is a fan unit available for PS3 but I've never needed it, however the original 60GB model has extra hardware (for PS2 backward compatibility, and card reader ports) and a larger HD so may well have run hotter. I assume the 80GB model will run slightly hotter too. I'm happy with the 40GB, I already have a PS2 for playing those old games.

I think people probably fail to provide adequate air flow around the units anyway, whether it be PS3 or XBox 360, not to mention dusty environments such as carpets and bedrooms - death to weak cooling systems!
    My auctions: video games, photography stuff, miniature wargaming hobby bits and pieces
    My eBid stores: Miniature Hobby Store | Old Games
    My eBid adverts page (also home to my free eBid promotional graphics):
    http://www.jonathanmortimer.co.uk/adverts/

Forum Lurker
    South Normanton, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
    View ctlconsolerepairs's Feedback (+15)
    All-About ctlconsolerepairs
    View ctlconsolerepairs's Listings
    Forum Posts

Hi After just readin this thread had to add my bit sorry,

I have got a xbox 360 that is on from the min my little lad gets up till he gos to bed, We have done the red light fix on it over 18 months ago and it has never had a problem (thank god). It does not matter if you have it on alday or 20 mins aday the problem is with the xbox itself Not the play time, Its a microsoft problem which is not designed very well at all, Even the new elite(jasper board for tec ppl on here) they have not address the problem, We get over 100 xbox 360s a week in for repair from all over the uk, (yes i know my feedback on here is no good but i cant link you to anywhere else) and im not on here to plug my listing, Im Just trying to say that its the biggest problem microsoft have done with a console. x x

Hello. Microsoft has a big drop in prices again. The basic core model is now only 199.00 US Not sure how much they bump the price up in England? Is it England or Britain? Which is more commomly used? There is also free imformation online how to fix the 3 red ring malfuction. If you are brave enough to dig into it.

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Anyone wanting to try to repair this there selfs drop us a line and Ill give you our free link to do it yourself, But please becarefull what links you use on the net some are really not good for your motherboard, gpu chip and cpu chip

Kaz x

Forum Lurker
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mcblob View Post
    ah the old towl trick, does it really work very well, so far been lucky enough to avoid RROD, and I have an older model from 2006

No dont do the towel trick as this is no good for your motherboard as it bends its even more plus its not safe at all, also this is just a quick fix and doers not solve the problem

Kaz x

Thread Information