My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch out sellers on the 'dark side'

Default If you are a Powerseller on the 'other site' you Need to know about this

Tax net tightens on e*@y traders

The taxman is tightening the net on those of us who haven’t declared all the extra income we earn throughout the year – and if you’re an avid e@*y trader, you’re most at risk. Here’s how to avoid a fine of £250 or more and a hefty tax bill
    HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is closing in on people who knowingly – or even accidentally – haven’t been declaring all the income and profits they should be. And to encourage us to clean up our tax affairs, it has been offering a tax “amnesty” which expires on 22 June.

Am I at risk?
    Research carried out last year found that more than 68,000 people in the UK now use e*@y sales to generate at least one-quarter of their income – so if you’re an avid eBayer or internet seller then it may be worth flicking through your accounts and giving HMRC a call.
    According to HMRC, if you’re just selling the odd unwanted gift or a few personal possessions, the issue probably doesn’t affect you. But, if you buy items with the intention of selling them on again soon after at a profit, then you are a trader and should look at registering as self-employed to pay National Insurance contributions, income tax and possibly even VAT on your earnings.
    Last edited by LegallyErotic; 21st June 2007 at 12:41 PM.

If people are buying with the intention to sell, then they should be registered as self employed anyway, regardless of how they sell (even if they sell at a car boot). What amazes me, is that it has taken this amount of time for it to come about!
    Have a look!
    My eBid Auctions

West Bromwich, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    View merlin's Feedback (+3081)
    All-About merlin
    View merlin's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitburrow View Post
    If people are buying with the intention to sell, then they should be registered as self employed anyway, regardless of how they sell (even if they sell at a car boot). What amazes me, is that it has taken this amount of time for it to come about!
    ahh but i`m still selling stuff from 6 years ago that was bought for our stall which i have already paid vat etc. on i`m not going to pay again
    lol even if you buy a book that is 20th hand and resell you can still be had for it so me thinks the taxman gonna have mega probs

South Queensferry, West Lothian, United Kingdom
    View HannaHolly's Feedback (+3177)
    All-About HannaHolly
    View HannaHolly's Listings
    Forum Posts

It doesn't matter what site you sell on, the same laws apply and those of us with shops here should all be registered self employed.

For National insurance there's an upper limit before you need to make the weekly payments. You can apply fopr an exception certificate if you're going to be below the limit.

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

Be careful with all-encompassing statements - All of us with shops .......

Ain't no way I'm registering with UK tax and VAT etc - if they have a problem with it they can come get me.

I'm sure the US and Australian members think similarly too ;-)

Gaz

Quote Originally Posted by HannaHolly View Post
    It doesn't matter what site you sell on, the same laws apply and those of us with shops here should all be registered self employed.
    If that was bricks and mortar, yes.
    However, the online description of a shop is somewhat different and "owning" one does not automatically imply that the seller is a trader. Therefore not everyone needs to be registered as self-employed.

I think the distinction is made in whether you buy goods for resale or whether you sell your own belongings second-hand.

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by damian_steele View Post
    If that was bricks and mortar, yes.
    However, the online description of a shop is somewhat different and "owning" one does not automatically imply that the seller is a trader. Therefore not everyone needs to be registered as self-employed.

I think the distinction is made in whether you buy goods for resale or whether you sell your own belongings second-hand.

So I buy stuff for myself all the time But Do I change my mind quickly YES I do I dont know I try a different watch everyday!

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

pmsl....shame i can't say that about my stuff.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rednosty View Post
    Do I change my mind quickly YES I do I dont know I try a different watch everyday!
    I don't have time for that
    Ken

For low cost Prints and Affordable Originals just Click the Logo

http://tinyurl.com/39bkpc/images/affordablelogo.jpg
    and check out my other stores

Ken's Cave

Fantastic Fotos Store

View Rednosty's Feedback (+998)
    All-About Rednosty
    View Rednosty's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegallyErotic View Post
    Tax net tightens on e*@y traders

The taxman is tightening the net on those of us who haven’t declared all the extra income we earn throughout the year – and if you’re an avid e@*y trader, you’re most at risk. Here’s how to avoid a fine of £250 or more and a hefty tax bill
    HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is closing in on people who knowingly – or even accidentally – haven’t been declaring all the income and profits they should be. And to encourage us to clean up our tax affairs, it has been offering a tax “amnesty” which expires on 22 June.

Am I at risk?
    Research carried out last year found that more than 68,000 people in the UK now use e*@y sales to generate at least one-quarter of their income – so if you’re an avid eBayer or internet seller then it may be worth flicking through your accounts and giving HMRC a call.
    According to HMRC, if you’re just selling the odd unwanted gift or a few personal possessions, the issue probably doesn’t affect you. But, if you buy items with the intention of selling them on again soon after at a profit, then you are a trader and should look at registering as self-employed to pay National Insurance contributions, income tax and possibly even VAT on your earnings.
    I think the timing comes down to some legal battles that have been going on! Ebay upto now have refused to give details of there Users to the taxman (So I believe) Therefore Ebay protect there own interest.

Vintage Mechanical and Quartz Watches
    and collectables

Click on the link to enter my store

Why not visit my New Store. Where you will find almost anything

http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Rednostys-All-Sorts-Store

Thread Information