eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jumping ship from *bay......

View southernstar26's Feedback (+11)
    All-About southernstar26
    View southernstar26's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    Actually although I was not a regular seller there I found e*** very hard and time consuming to use! I think eBid is much easier - I like the "list similar" button!
    I had a bit of trouble with the list similar button - all was fine, logged off for the night, logged back on in the morning and my similar item had become a duplicate! I only have one of this particular item, so I deleted the duplicate and started the similar one from scratch.

Maybe it was a glitch, or maybe it's just me being a numpty!

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by luckyhair5925 View Post
    Hi,
    I am trying to move from ebay to ebid.
    same storry as everyone
    so I am trying to build an app that pulls my listings (from my database) and make it in the bulk uploader format

However I know how to create CSV files and text files but not an excel document.

so my question is : is there a way to bulk upload with something else than an excel file?

can I bulk upload a CSV file ?
    I'm no expert on this but my understanding is that all you are required to upload is a Tab Separated Values (TSV) file; Excel really has nothing to do with it - except as an application that can be used to create such a file. So if you have a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file and convert the comma separators to tabs then that file should be acceptable to eBid for Bulk Upload.

If you go to your Auction I'm Running page and export your listings in Bulk Upload format you can see how the file is laid out. That exported file is suitable, as is, for upload via Bulk Edit and you can see there is nothing special about it.

The above comes with no warranty whatsoever.
    Last edited by astral276; 30th August 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    I'm no expert on this but my understanding is that all you are required to upload is a Tab Separated Values (TSV) file; Excel really has nothing to do with it - except as an application that can be used to create such a file. So if you have a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file and convert the comma separators to tabs then that file should be acceptable to eBid for Bulk Upload.

If you go to your Auction I'm Running page and export your listings in Bulk Upload format you can see how the file is laid out. That exported file is suitable, as is, for upload via Bulk Edit and you can see there is nothing special about it.

The above comes with no warranty whatsoever.
    I can read any .csv file with Excel and I believe with any other spreadsheet (spreadsheets are actually programs). I also know .csv files are used to transmit files between mainframe computers and client/server systems, and can be read by any program, regardless of the language or platform. If you have a file created in Excel, it can be saved as a .csv file using "Save As" and the dropdown list at the bottom.

I suppose I should be using newspeak. "Program" is the dinosaur word for "application".

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TiasTreasures View Post
    I suppose I should be using newspeak. "Program" is the dinosaur word for "application".
    Not really. An application is designed for interaction with the user, via its own User Interface, to enable a specific task - as Excel enables the production of spreadsheets. A program does not have that level of interaction - such as CHKDSK.

So while you could say that all applications are programs...not all programs are applications.

Debate...

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Not really. An application is designed for interaction with the user, via its own User Interface, to enable a specific task - as Excel enables the production of spreadsheets. A program does not have that level of interaction - such as CHKDSK.

So while you could say that all applications are programs...not all programs are applications.

Debate...
    That's an interesting distinction.

Since my profession was mainframe design and programming, that's the terminology I still think in. In that environment, any code that controlled any aspect of processing was called a "program". Some were interactive (such as CICS programs), some were for processing static files ("batch" programs), and some did both. A program that couldn't run by itself and needed direction from another program was a "subprogram".

There were other tidbits I was going to mention, but since I just made everybody's eyes glaze over, I'll stop.

I'm yet another seller that's come over from feebay. The majority of items I sell are in media categories and I am not prepared to line their pockets even more.

Even though I have been registered on here for over four years, I have only been listing items for the last month or so and I've yet to make my first sale. I am going to persist though as I have no intention in listing in media categories on the other side ever again.

Good luck to everyone who comes over here.

Chris.

Forum Newbie
    View cardseller09's Feedback (+16)
    All-About cardseller09
    View cardseller09's Listings
    Forum Posts

just been on there and found that they are blackmailing more sellers into fees from October.
    how they can do this and people justify it on their forums is beyond me.
    I have used ebid with various names and am back to use ebay as marketing to bring buyers here
    I dont mind fees if it sells but the rubbish that they do and all the rules with it. grrr....

Forum Newbie
    View cardseller09's Feedback (+16)
    All-About cardseller09
    View cardseller09's Listings
    Forum Posts

quick tip, use TL to build your auction and you have html already.
    get photobucket and upload your photos and scan to it.
    you can paste your url link direct into the html or you can paste it onto the ebid selling page.
    a bit of typingh, some copy and paste clicks and you have auctions with nice clear wording and designs.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by collectables1012 View Post
    I'm yet another seller that's come over from feebay. The majority of items I sell are in media categories and I am not prepared to line their pockets even more.

Even though I have been registered on here for over four years, I have only been listing items for the last month or so and I've yet to make my first sale. I am going to persist though as I have no intention in listing in media categories on the other side ever again.

Good luck to everyone who comes over here.

Chris.
    Hi Chris,

Tried to check our your auctions but noticed that you don't sell to US so you lost some of us I am afraid. Please consider expanding your range for more sales. I think that the format is different on some items (DVDs?) but books, and CDs are easy to ship and sell too.

Forum Lurker
    View buckhysen's Feedback (+3185)
    All-About buckhysen
    View buckhysen's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SplodgeyUK View Post
    Hi, I've been registered here for 2 years and have yet to list anything, despite being desperate to do so. Why not?

I'm a middle-aged guy and even though I sell comics, I'm not young enough to understand .csv files, spreadsheets and technobabble. I use Turbolister on the other site and that's pretty simple. Trying to list here seems like suddenly moving to a foreign country to start a business....I just don't understand the language.

The sad thing is, I'm not alone. Thousands of us 'oldies' put up with the narrow minded, money grabbing twats at *bay because we can see no alternative.

From September 22nd *bay doesn't allow sellers like me to charge P&P anymore (s+h for my American friends). Tens of thousands of sellers there will suddenly find that their business is unviable and will quit. Those sellers SHOULD be coming here.

I've had an average of 1500 listings up on *bay at all times for 2 years. I can't figure out how to move them here so I guess I'm quitting too.

Anyone wanna buy 3,000 American comics?......J/k

Graham
    Hey Graham

I only started selling on here recently, have sold in the past but only the odd few items.
    The first time I went to list an item I thought 'I will never get used to this' but after only listing a few auctions I find listing on Ebid so much easier than Greedbay.
    It just takes a little time to get used to something different.

Greedbay have got so big for their boots and treat sellers so badly (And for so long) then just the principle makes me want to come over to Ebid and stick with them and give them a try. And I really hope more people like yourself stay over here and stick a big two fingers up to Greedbay.

Good luck!

Thread Information