eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How is shill bidding policed on ebid?

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shezz View Post
    True but they got caught because huddys ip went into quads account, i have also done that and been banned (not for shill bidding)

but there will be no alarms raised if i was to ring a friend up and ask them to bid on my item because it had a bid and watchers (asif), it would be completely different ip addresses biddin on it and ebid would no way know that i had done it to put the price of my item up
    Hence my emphasis on *some*.

When Wiz & Honehe joined their postal addresses, & phone numbers were the same, but obviously their email addresses, real names & bank details were different. Toz wouldn't have given his bank details because he's only a buyer, but again his real name & email address were different.

Every now & then an old banned member gets on & then into the forum, although their site membership only usually lasts a very short time, the forum ban usually comes fairly quickly after that.

I don't think it's only on IP address,or postcode, but that does count.

One of the American users had bidders on her items get a strikethru because they had the same Zip Code as her, it took a while to sort out, because apparently US ZipCodes cover a much wider area than UK postcodes do.

Not exactly sure what else they check, a strikethru doesn't always seem to be immediate when they sign up.

Shezz got a temporary strikethru when the safeguard kicked in, because she'd bid on something (I think it was one of Jay's YDC listings), when she'd previously accessed his account to help him with something.

Somebody else got a temporary strikethru because her husband (with his own account) bid on one of her YDC listings.

When I requested a second account, I made it clear I understood the rules on Shill bidding as in bidding on my own items with my own accounts.

I know that on some sites, shill bidding is only counted as being between people in the same household, so when I wanted to bid on a YDC item Wiz had listed I checked with support, their answer was NO although we live at different ends of the country.

Like she said we've blackballed all of our family members just in case.
    Last edited by Gothicina; 13th November 2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post
    When Wiz & Honehe joined their postal addresses, & phone numbers were the same, but obviously their email addresses, real names & bank details were different. Toz wouldn't have given his bank details because he's only a buyer, but again his real name & email address were different.

Every now & then an old banned member gets on & then into the forum, although their site membership only usually lasts a very short time, the forum ban usually comes fairly quickly after that.

I don't think it's only on IP address,or postcode, but that does count.

One of the American users had bidders on her items get a strikethru because they had the same Zip Code as her, it took a while to sort out, because apparently US ZipCodes cover a much wider area than UK postcodes do.

Not exactly sure what else they check, a strikethru doesn't always seem to be immediate when they sign up.

Shezz got a temporary strikethru when the safeguard kicked in, because she'd bid on something (I think it was one of Jay's YDC listings), when she'd previously accessed his account to help him with something.

Somebody else got a temporary strikethru because her husband (with his own account) bid on one of her YDC listings.

When I requested a second account, I made it clear I understood the rules on Shill bidding as in bidding on my own items with my own accounts.

I know that on some sites, shill bidding is only counted as being between people in the same household, so when I wanted to bid on a YDC item Wiz had listed I checked with support, their answer was NO although we live at different ends of the country.

Like she said we've blackballed all of our family members just in case.

Thats right Goth i did get a strike and now i cant bid on any of his items and vise versa, not that i have any on,

but say ebid did not know you was related and wiz phoned you up and asked you to bid on his item, no way would ebid know

AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING, I HAVE KNOW WIZ AND GOTH FOR A LONG TIME AND KNOW THAT THEY WOULD NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE WHAT I JUST TYPED

It is just one of those for instance thingys
    Last edited by shezz; 13th November 2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

Thats right Goth i did get a strike and now i cant bid on any of his items and vise versa, not that i have any on,

but say ebid did not know you was related and wiz phoned you up and asked you to bid on his item, no way would ebid know

AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING, I HAVE KNOW WIZ AND GOTH FOR A LONG TIME AND KNOW THAT THEY WOULD NEVER EVER DO ANYTHING LIKE WHAT I JUST TYPED

It is just one of those for instance thingys

You've given her a sex change.

Nothing is 100% foolproof but eBid seem to go further than most sites, to prevent it from happening.

I don't know how much more they can do?

I'd imagine checking family trees & school & work records would be seen as intrusive & OTT.
    Gothicina.

MAHATMA GANDHI - "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated."

My Stores
    Gothicina Labels | Gothicina's Web - for eBid Auction Templates & Store Banners.

My Alter egos
    Kewtonia Books | Kewtonia's Klutter | Kewtonia Magz

Family
    Leadhillsonline | Honehe
    Tozcentral | NiffNaff
    SynysterChambers | Goldenboys13

Free eBid Banners | Free YDC Teddies | Charity Listings YDC Teddy Templates

View shezz's Feedback (+360)
    All-About shezz
    View shezz's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicina View Post

You've given her a sex change.

Nothing is 100% foolproof but eBid seem to go further than most sites, to prevent it from happening.

I don't know how much more they can do?

I'd imagine checking family trees & school & work records would be seen as intrusive & OTT.

so i have oooop sorry wiz
    Life is serious but taking it too seriously robs you of
    happiness, fun and productivity

View TonyBridger's Feedback (+252)
    All-About TonyBridger
    View TonyBridger's Listings
    Forum Posts

Fortunately the majority of Shillers/Scammers are not as smart as they think they are and get caught fairly quickly.

I am sure the shiller mentioned in the OP only got away with it because he worked for the auction site.
    My posts only state my own opinions, unless I've stolen them from someone else

I wondered about this when ***bay introduced the "not showing user id when bidding" thingy! I know the ***bay user id's of my kids and those of a few of my friends but as we share similar interests and don't live in the same house we could potentially bid against each other there without knowing!

Of course - it also makes it difficult for any buyer to spot it happening if people are doing it on purpose!

so i have oooop sorry wiz
    That's OK a lot of users do.

Quote Originally Posted by lejoueurdepipeau View Post
    I wondered about this when ***bay introduced the "not showing user id when bidding" thingy! I know the ***bay user id's of my kids and those of a few of my friends but as we share similar interests and don't live in the same house we could potentially bid against each other there without knowing!
    It has always happened over there, removing the IDs of bidders just makes it easier. A few years ago I brought job lots of items from the other side and know that shill bidding was occurring. I reported them but they were not removed from the site.
    Please Visit my Book Store:

Affordable books Books

Family Members:
    Gothicina

My Children:
    Honehe
    Niffnaff
    Tozcentral

View pique's Feedback (+134)
    All-About pique
    View pique's Listings
    Forum Posts

Someone was removed from ebid for doing this only this week
    Pique Antiques and Collectables for all kinds of interesting items - ceramics, books, programmes, first day covers, pictures etc etc
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Pique-Anti...d Collectables

Tammy's Emporium for all kinds of useful home, garden and leisure products.
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Tammys-Emporium

Pique Beauty for skincare, fragrances, bodycare, tanning & Beauty at unbeatable prices
    http://uk.ebid.net/stores/Pique-Beauty

Thread Information