eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mineral Oil?

Forum Diehard
    View ArtisanUK's Feedback (+49)
    All-About ArtisanUK
    View ArtisanUK's Listings
    Forum Posts

Back after spending most of the night in a shed.
    Just got a goat that is ill and has symptoms ranging between sinus problems and pneumonia.
    One of the things that was bothering me was an increasing shake of the head and I was starting to wonder if all the symptoms were being caused by ear mites.
    Don't have anything here specific to treat ear mites but it did say on one of the sites to use mineral oil (for humans) Couldn't for the life of me think what would be an absolutely 'safe' mineral oil to use. It seems such a simple term!
    Anyway after turfing out cupboards I found some cat ear drops which I knew I could use so I went into battle.
    He seems a lot better this morning, but pride comes before a fall, counting chickens and all that - I'll see what he looks like later.

Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    Back after spending most of the night in a shed.
    Just got a goat that is ill and has symptoms ranging between sinus problems and pneumonia.
    One of the things that was bothering me was an increasing shake of the head and I was starting to wonder if all the symptoms were being caused by ear mites.
    Don't have anything here specific to treat ear mites but it did say on one of the sites to use mineral oil (for humans) Couldn't for the life of me think what would be an absolutely 'safe' mineral oil to use. It seems such a simple term!
    Anyway after turfing out cupboards I found some cat ear drops which I knew I could use so I went into battle.
    He seems a lot better this morning, but pride comes before a fall, counting chickens and all that - I'll see what he looks like later.

Thanks for all your help.
    You might have to remove all the junk in there after medicine does its stuff. Just tip a bottle of rubbing alcohol into ear channel and they will shake heads and out comes the junk. Hard to do that second ear though! Hope the little guy is doing better.

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

He's not so little, Delta - 3ft at the shoulder and then we have the neck, head and horns!

And the other problem with goats is they don't like their ears touching (mum pulls them to tell them off when they're little) So it's actually hard to do the first ear, never mind the second!

He's still looking better, but goats are funny creatures and I'm keeping a close watch on him.

View JaBek1's Feedback (+25)
    All-About JaBek1
    View JaBek1's Listings
    Forum Posts

Check the laxative section in your local pharmacy. You should find mineral oil there.
    Dennis

I'm not sure how it works with goats though. Mineral oil is the main ingredient in baby oil, if memory serves.
    Last edited by JaBek1; 7th February 2010 at 05:15 AM.

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Putting ear drops in a goat's ears sounds like a very brave act!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Forum Saint
    View FairMaiden's Feedback (+600)
    All-About FairMaiden
    View FairMaiden's Listings
    Forum Posts

Why not google natural remedies for earache etc. I have seen olive oil suggested for blocked ears before.

Quote Originally Posted by deltadelta48 View Post

Not sure who you want to contact, buyer or ebid? To contact ebid and get info, give them info on the specific items, at support@ebid, or go thru the help button on top of each page.
    support@ebid.net or support@ebid.tv

Forum Diehard
    All-About ArtisanUK
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madelaine View Post
    Putting ear drops in a goat's ears sounds like a very brave act!

Nah, not brave, Madelaine. You just need the ability to hang on tight whilst yelling, 'pack it in or you'll 'ave me eye out with that!.'

View madelaine's Feedback (+5881)
    All-About madelaine
    View madelaine's Listings
    Forum Posts

Sounds brave to me!

I am reminded of a story told to me by a retired Military Policeman. The Parachute regiment and the Royal Regiment of Wales were both in Aldershot. They hated each other. The Parachute regiment have a white Shetland pony as their mascot. He is always called Pegasus. On the night before the Arnhem day parade soldiers from RRW broke into his stable and cut his tail off. The Paras vowed revenge.

The night before St David's day (the RRW's big parade), 6 of them broke into the RRW mascot's stable. All six ended up in hospital. The RRW mascot is a billy goat called Taffy and is always filthy tempered. He retained the beard they were trying to crop!
    Madelaine

4 shops for Cats Protection & Prospect Hospice
    My Postcard Shop
    BK Stamps for Philatelic listings
    & Yarnalong for craft patterns
    and
    Lotzabitz -anything that doesn't belong in one of the other shops.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtisanUK View Post
    Nah, not brave, Madelaine. You just need the ability to hang on tight whilst yelling, 'pack it in or you'll 'ave me eye out with that!.'
    Lol that brings back memories of my childhood !
    We used to keep goats down in Cornwall and had this very temperamental nanny goat. I still have this vision of my poor mum going to move the stake where it was tethered and the goat taking off with my poor mum being dragged around the field on the end of the chain !

Thread Information