Sell on eBid
eBid Stores
My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community

Thread: Is this allowed or against the rules, I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

Default Is this allowed or against the rules, I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question so far and would like to know if this is all right or if it is against any ebid rules. If it is against ebid rules, where could I find the rules written out about this so I can read exactly what is said?

I have my own new website now, and I want to know if I can mention it anywhere on ebid, such as my about me page, and if I can tell what the name of it is. I have written a partial bio on feebay, where I have the same username, and where I have mentioned it by name, because I have noticed other members have done it there and theirs has been left alone, and nobody has removed mine so far.

I didn't know what category to put this question under. Any replies would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Cynthia
    Last edited by lamarbobbybarney; 30th March 2010 at 11:18 PM.

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

As long as the site is not e-commerce enabled then eBid seems to have no issue with them being mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    As long as the site is not e-commerce enabled then eBid seems to have no issue with them being mentioned.
    Thanks for your reply. Excuse me for my ignorance, but does e-commerce enabled mean that the website is selling something, because that is what mine is for.
    Thanks.
    Cynthia

Yes e-commerce enabled means a site that sells........which is against e-bids policy.

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lamarbobbybarney View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Excuse me for my ignorance, but does e-commerce enabled mean that the website is selling something, because that is what mine is for.
    The test is...if I visited your site could I buy something from it without leaving the site? If Yes then it is e-commerce enabled. Example: eBid, eBay, Amazon, etc.

If the site adveretised nothing or merely advertised items and redirected me to eBid to buy them it is not e-commerce enabled. Example: my store page at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/astral....t/ebid_rss.htm

You then enter a grey area...If I visited your site and could not buy an item directly from the site but could ring you up to buy then, technically, the site is not e-commerce enabled (and thus is not against eBid's written rule) but eBid could still see it as selling 'off site' and object to a link to it on their system (they can change/interpret their own rules as they deem fit).

Reverse the situation. If you owned eBid would you be happy for someone to plug a site such as yours using your business investment as an advertising medium? The answer to that may give you the answer you seek.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

So what if my site didn't sell anything directly but had banners linking to other sites which sold stuff?

I have been told this is OK...but I have added a shopping cart to my site now so have just changed the links I have here to point to my non commercial site instead

All-About astral276
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonwitch View Post
    So what if my site didn't sell anything directly but had banners linking to other sites which sold stuff?
    By my reading of eBid's rule it states that the site linked to must not be e-commerce enabled. So links on your site to a third party site that is e-commerce enabled do not make your site break eBid's rule. The rider being, as I said earlier, that eBid are free to interpret their own rules as they see fit.

Forum Saint
    View moonwitch's Feedback (+1616)
    All-About moonwitch
    View moonwitch's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    By my reading of eBid's rule it states that the site linked to must not be e-commerce enabled. So links on your site to a third party site that is e-commerce enabled do not make your site break eBid's rule. The rider being, as I said earlier, that eBid are free to interpret their own rules as they see fit.
    Oh well...I've swapped the links over to the charity fundraising site...so someone else can get told off.

Actually just checked that site again

And Found This

I think it needs some work on it...but I remembered to link to the YDC auctions...so it links back to eBid

Thanks to everybody for their replies. It does all sound rather confusing and complicated and at least partially open to interpretation or even possibly whim?
    As far as my new website goes, it seems to be pretty obscure and unknown right now, as would be expected at this early stage, and is hardly going to be a major competitor to ebid or anyone else. I do like ebid and don't want to do anything to damage my relationship with ebid or my 100% perfect feedback, which is why I want to be sure I don't break any of their rules out of ignorance or misunderstanding, as I would never deliberately do this.
    Kind regards,
    Cynthia

Thread Information