Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing a weekly shop is now so damn expensive

Poulton-le-fylde, Lancashire, United Kingdom
    View Gill's Feedback (+517)
    All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Default Doing a weekly shop is now so damn expensive

I just can't get over how expensive EVERYTHING is these days just to keep clean!

I remember my mum doing a weekly shop for a fiver and that included meat, veg, dry goods, etc. Yes, okay it was 40 years ago but after doing a shop tonight I was amazed that a bottle of shampoo is £3.

I don't know about you lot but I'm now spending more to keep clean than I am on food.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

Quote Originally Posted by tizme View Post
    I just can't get over how expensive EVERYTHING is these days just to keep clean!

I remember my mum doing a weekly shop for a fiver and that included meat, veg, dry goods, etc. Yes, okay it was 40 years ago but after doing a shop tonight I was amazed that a bottle of shampoo is £3.

I don't know about you lot but I'm now spending more to keep clean than I am on food.
    I agree with you. They say that inflation is only around 2% (don't know what the exact figure is), but my weekly supermarket bill seems to be getting higher and higher.
    Cleaning stuff and toiletries are very often on bogof in most supermarkets. As they are not perishables, try to take advantage of that; likewise cans/bottles/jars. I rarely use those offers for fresh foods, as I tend to end up with to much and it goes off before we use it (gone are the days I used to feed a family).

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

I do the bogofs Marianne but its still so expensive. Maybe I should have a read of my 'how clean is your house' book to find alternatives. Then again buying those stuffs now you would probably end up spending a fortune.
    Gill (pronounced Jill) "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris 1834 - 1896

I do the bogofs Marianne but its still so expensive. Maybe I should have a read of my 'how clean is your house' book to find alternatives. Then again buying those stuffs now you would probably end up spending a fortune.
    Oh well, you'd better put that bottle of red back then

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Booksandstuff View Post
    Oh well, you'd better put that bottle of red back then
    Red? Rose please!!!

Edit - make red colour on avvy into rose

I agree totally...have started buying the big shop online....and buying the milk,bread, special offers at the local shop

start off so good online, thinking £20 and got quite a lot of fresh stuff, by the time I add in the cleaning, laundry & bathroom products....I'm nearing the 200 mark...eeek

even doing the hard cut...still over £100

definitely prices have gone sky high

Red? Rose please!!!

Edit - make red colour on avvy into rose
    Trying to mislead us now

Seriously though, I came to UK in 1983.
    There are a few prices that I can remember, because they were very different (either expensive or cheap) compared to where I had been living.

A loaf of bread: 29p, same loaf is now around £1.15
    My ciggies: 99p now around £5.50
    Pint of milk (doorstep delivery) 18p - haven't got a clue what doorstep delivery is now, but a 4 pint is around £1.40 now in the supermarket.
    Ground coffee: 89p, now about £2.
    Petrol: 97p a gallon and we were shocked when it went over a pound. now around 1.20 a litre which is roughly £5.40 a gallon.
    Our house is now valued at roughly 7 times what we bought it for back then.

Not taking any possible promotion into account, I don't think wages have gone up by that much though, although income tax is now lower then it was back then, but there are many more "hidden" taxes.

All-About Gill
    View Gill's Listings
    Forum Posts

OK, I'll get the red changed to a rose Anyone want to give me some pointers? Please? Pretty please? OK give me a few days and I'll get round to changing it (somehow)

What's promotion?

Where did you come from?

That should keep you busy for a bit! I'm off to bed as I'm going to Mother in laws tomorrow to finish off her kitchen so she stops moaning and giving Phil grief!

Forum Diehard
    View JJcards's Feedback (+1672)
    All-About JJcards
    View JJcards's Listings
    Forum Posts

We buy in bulk at a costco store,they stcok everything from food and toiletries to computers and household items,get pretty much everything there and the savings are quite a bit. just last week bought a 5.18 litre of pine sol for 6.99, a litre at the supermarket goes for 2$ 6 pack of oasis orange juice 5.99 compared to 1.29 each the list goes on so aside from cold cuts and some meats and veggies we buy most items in bulk there,last much longer cost cheaper and with 2 young girls going through juice and bottled water plus snacks for school etc it really does save some $$$

3 pack of shampoo 5.89 1 of the same brand is about 4$ 10 bars of ivory 3$ cheaper toothpaste etc,you get the idea only problem is storing all the household cleaning products and toiletries as we usually have enough of em for 3 months

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

I remember my mum doing a weekly shop for a fiver and that included meat, veg, dry goods, etc. Yes, okay it was 40 years ago...
    £5 forty years ago is equivalent to nearly £52 now. (ref: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/)

I was amazed that a bottle of shampoo is £3.
    If you buy fancy brands that have to cover the costs of their incessant TV ads then you will pay a premium. Buy the most basic. As long as it washes you hair then it has done what you bought it for.

Thread Information