My eBid
Upgrade to Seller+ Lifetime
eBid Help
Close
Login to Your Account
eBid Community Forums - Chat & find help from others in the eBid Community
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please review system for putting newbies under review

It appears we've been very lucky that the 30+ new eBid members who bought from us during the past two months did not buy more than one or two items! I would be appalled if a new customer bought a large number of items from our stores, and then got a black line through their name because they liked the site too much.

We were once the victim of a mischief-maker. Yes it was annoying, and took a while to sort out. But, eBid refunded our FVFs and we relisted the items. That's one incident in two and a half years. We've continued to accept buyers with zero feedback, and rarely have problems. Sellers have the ability to prohibit sales to new members. Those sellers who choose to encourage them are being punished along with the eager new members. I don't think eBid should be doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by bykimbo View Post
    Has anybody tried emailing ebid and asking them if there's a restriction?
    Yes and I just keep getting we suspended member x as a prevention and have no plans to allow member x back or I get member x has now been re-instated

1 member that got re-instated after my email (luck or not?) now has just under 2000+'s

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raindropsies View Post
    Yes and I just keep getting we suspended member x as a prevention and have no plans to allow member x back or I get member x has now been re-instated

1 member that got re-instated after my email (luck or not?) now has just under 2000+'s

That sounds as if you've asked in specific cases, but not just sent a straight enquiry about policy with no case attached? Wouldn't that be best, if you want to know?

Nakhon Ratchasima Thailand (Not Singapore), Singapore, United Kingdom
    View gazlannathai's Feedback (+796)
    All-About gazlannathai
    View gazlannathai's Listings
    Forum Posts

It's pretty widespread Kim - at least 90% of all bids I've received in the last three years have gone straight to strike-out - one in particular stands out because they had a Dutch address, and had bid on about 6 or 8 things - mostly 99p incense packs if I remember correctly. In every case though, the strike-outs occurred before I knew I had a sale or bid, so it looks like there's some degree of robotism in the process - can't help wondering if it's IP address focused (especially when you recall the big global blockades that eBid ran a couple of times in 2008).

I'll agree it is a double-edged sword though - wanting to keep the scammer-buyers and after-delivery-fraudsters out of here, but at the same time, prior to the other side starting all the nonsense in early 2008, I'd racked up customers in almost 200 countries for everything from paper die cuts through to very large and expensive wholesale silk orders, with the only (consistently) problematic countries being Greece and the USA. Even Chile and Argentina were absolute darlings of customers, and Puerto Rico has some fantastic buyers (totally contrary to the rep they get in US movies and TV shows).

Dunno what eBid's trigger is, and not going to throw aspersions around, but I'll agree it's darned annoying to get a new customer onto site and bidding, and have them struck out before the successful sale email arrives - support should at least completely clear their bids and restore listings to active and unsold if they're going to do this blocking as much as they have done.

Just my tuppence ha'penny's worth on the topic.

Gaz

All-About gazlannathai
    Forum Posts

p.s.

<<<<<--------- Look at what eBid's done to my location now ..... ROFL - I ain't leaving this chair ever again, at least when I'm in it, I know where I am

View astral276's Feedback (+194)
    All-About astral276
    View astral276's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post
    Look at what eBid's done to my location now ...
    You are Alan Whicker and I claim my five pounds.

(For anyone too young or non-British to get that, Google: Lobby Lud)
    Last edited by astral276; 10th December 2010 at 01:14 AM.

Forum Saint
    View bykimbo's Feedback (+950)
    All-About bykimbo
    View bykimbo's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gazlannathai View Post
    It's pretty widespread Kim - at least 90% of all bids I've received in the last three years have gone straight to strike-out
    All the more reason for trying to understand the mechanism so one can explain to one's buyers. It's never happened to me, so it's not a problem I've had to deal with, but I can see for those to whom it's a common event it would be better to understand what's going on.

p.s. welcome back to the UK, at least you can get mince pies now.

All-About gazlannathai
    Forum Posts

At Astral - LOL - you relic you

At Kimbo - I wish, LOL - sitting here in just shorts, sweating like I'm in a sauna - It's mid-December for gawd's sake - and .... early this morning was the first time in 11 months I had to wear socks coz my feet were cold (rolls eyes) no wonder it's coughc and colds season here.

View suesjools's Feedback (+586)
    All-About suesjools
    View suesjools's Listings
    Forum Posts

Quote Originally Posted by astral276 View Post
    Why? Speculation and conspiracy theories are so much more fun.
    LOL! Too funny.

Happy holidays and best wishes for many sales to all,

i have just noticed this thread and i,m asking if its just on bids? just over a week ago i had a new buyer, joined 20 minutes before buying, starting at 1.20 am and eventually finished at 2.30 am. they bought 36 lots, all bin. they paid as soon as an invoice was sent( in the morning). i have recieved feedback and a nice email complimenting on the service and what a nice site ebid is. i dont get buyers like this every day, and would hate to have newbies put off. perhaps gazza could explain the situation, this is not the first time i have had new buyers buying a lot of items in one go and have never yet had a problem. i hope it remains that way.

Feel free to browse my stores

http://hobbyhabitat.ebid.net All things crafty
    http://plain-and-purl.ebid.net Knitting Patterns
    http://floating-buy.ebid.net Fishing Tackle

Thread Information